• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What do you think about the T-maxx

mat2317

i have a t-maxx got it coming up to a year ago and it was my first nitro rc car.

they are great for bashing, reliable, and quite fast. i haven't broken anything major on it yet just skid plated and that bout it and it has taken quite a beating.

only thing is that they are an old design and you would be better off it you could strech your budget to a traxxas revo. :good:

Not trying to burst your bubble, but the T maxx is an outdated design, its not the best for bashing and requires alot of hopups to make it bashworthy. I would reccomend getting something else. How much do you have to spend?

EDIT: T maxx owners i dont want a flame war ok?

edit again: koroshko got there before me

Edited by superbasher

If theguy who started this means little jumps and messing around it would be fine, but not for proper 9+ft high bashings. Trust me i'm on an american forum where they all beat there trucks into submission, and even the admin (who has had about 3 maxx's) has said that they really arent that good for hardcore bashing

I own a E-maxx (same chassis and transmissin etc just electric instead of Nitro) and used to own and now own another Revo.

The E-maxx/T-maxx fares well but a few misjudged landings etc is all it takes to smash the rather weak bulkheads - I have gone through two sets of bulkheads in 6 outings (£6 a time and 30 mins each one to put right)

Also I have had to replace the steering servo as from the factory the standard one is underpowered (i was compaeing to my old Revo), that was a £34 job. Mind you if you are new to the hobby and never used a superior truck you probably wouldnt appreciate the differnce in steering.....

Still all that said the T-maxx seems to be a cheaper way to start albeit a little outdated (still top fun mind)

The Revo is a better truck if your sticking with Traxxas, but more costly, it is a much better truck all round and I can't think off the top of my head any major weaknesses - with my old Revo I never had anything breaking like a twig, you need to crash bad to break it.

Look out for a second hand Revo??? You'd be looking at about £180 -£220ish and it should have all the extras like a fuel bottle and battery for the EZ start, maby even have the EZ Start removed and a Glow starter with pull start included (some people remove the EZ start as it can be troublesome - I never had any bother with mine). Be carefull and look for a minter ask in here and you should be fine.

Also look at Savages, some bargeens to be had there as well, im not clued up but someone in the know will hopefully tell you the benefits of these trucks - again lots of second hand ones around.

Check the 'For sale' section of the forum, there is always bargeens in there and if its someone who uses the forum regular i would like to think you can be confident that its in good nick - or maby well used but well looked after if you knoe what I mean - check the feedback section to give you a better idea of someones rep on here.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Ash

Hi i have had and still got a few nitro trucks and my t-maxx is the one i use and enjoy the most.Me and my mate both have one and we do over 10ft flips with them and havent broken anything.I keep hearing how week the bulk heads are ment to be but after more than enough nose first landings they are still fine.I have a fullforce spider chassi on mine and rpm arms.My mates is totaly standard and doing fine aswell.I have a set of big bore shocks here and am going to fit an os 18 over the winter.I wouldnt say they are that dated.The Revo and tvp trucks may be a bit newer but all the others look like the max with their body,s off.The only thing i dont like about them is the trx2.5 motor.It never seems to hold a tune and overheats all the time :angry: .Thats why i am going for the os 18 :D .

I was going to get o'donnells but the shop didnt have any and i have read on many forums that o'donnells and byron are very similar in performance and reliability.I have seen an os 18 in a revo and it was very quick.Quicker than the traxxas 3.3.I was going to do the engine swap for the 3.3 but again i have read alot of bad reports on them.They seen to break con rods and things.

what glowplugs? i have no idea..

You wont need to buy any addional plugs to get it running initially, theres one already screwd into the engine, however its advisable to buy a spare or two as they are sometimes easy to fowl and damage etc.

Ive always used traxxas ones - just the normal one - part number - 3232 - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=...mp;ItemID=15075

You also would need a 7.2volt stick pack for the EZ start system as you dont get one with the truck.