• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

"VINTAGE" or "RETRO" r/c owners thread.

Gaz!

heres my vintage tamiya striker....sum before `n` after pics...r mum bought me this when i was 13!!...i`m 38 now!!.....she found it in the loft during a clear out...i found the bits i needed on e bay so i decided to b ring it bak to life.most of it is the orginal parts ..apart from the top half of the body..as i painted the orginal one black.. :whistling: ...looks like new now.... :yes: ...seen one of these on e bay brand new in the box unbuilt go for over

Edited by evssv
  • Like 3

1ist_zps2ustu7qb.jpeg

This is the vehicle that started it all for me, back when I was in my early years of primary school. My father and I spotted one in a hobby shop, and spent ages drooling over it even though it was way out of our price range back then. However the re-re takes pride of place in my collection.

is that a hotshot?

• Like 1

I've got a tenth technology predator that I've just stripped and re building/restoring does that count as vintage??

I'm after a shell and rear diff if anyone has one??

• Like 1

It will be a vintage until you try to run it, then it will be scrap!

The Predator was probably both the best car I ever owned and the worst at the same time.....

• Like 1

Ok so there's a lot of shelfers here so in terms of shelfers (specifically tamiya) do you fit bearings or use the plastic bushes? I was initially going to get metal shielded bearings thinking that the rubber might degrade over time in rubber shielded bearings but the thought the plastic bushes will be fine as they won't degrade? What do people fit?

I'm only asking as I'm building a couple of shelfers over the next few months. Started on a manta ray but want to build a collection of the coro coro models. Got a thunder dragon that needs a couple of parts, but want to add a fire dragon, saint dragon and super dragon (on a hornet chassis). There are a couple of others but they're very rare. Was planing on getting team blue groove bodies to use until, or if, the tamiya ones turn up at a reasonable price. Anyone used these? How do they compare to tamiya? There's a tamiya super dragon shell on eBay now for about

If you don't plan on running them, stick to the plastic bushings, after all your the only one who knows...

If you plan on the occasional summer day to stretch there legs then fit the bearings.

Also might be worth some makeshift stands to stop the tyres flat spotting...

As daft as it sounds some of the tamiyas today will be the next gen must haves and be worth a small fortune, the vajra for instance, it's not popular now so not many about in future so should be worth a bit.....

I don't plan on running them but when the kids grow up a bit and they're worth more they might want to :scared:

Plastic bushes it is then for now. For a stand I've been using spare wheels off my Lunchbox as I see to go through a few of them.

I'm starting my collection with the older models and ones that I like rather than going for ones that might be worth money. I still don't see the point of keeping them in the box as really they're meant to be played with (unless you're just buying them as an investment, but surely there are better investments out there?). I might not run them but I get pleasure from building them and that'll do me. As I said though, when the kids grow up they'll probably bash them to pieces.

Took my Manta Ray (bought when it was the newest model!) out of the attic a few years ago (daughter old enough to play with it, and a dog to walk now). Updated it a bit (it was always the mechanical speed controller that gave trouble):

mrp1.jpg

And took it walking. Where we walk is rather rocky, so I've been breaking and fixing it ever since!

mrp8.jpg

She went full Mad Max after that one, trying to protect the (now ally) hubs and gearbox by extending the bumper sideways and backwards into the chassis:

mrp13.jpg

And on to this year, with new one piece shock tower (I did have a welded 3 piece metal one that came in a box of ebay bits... it just fell apart for no special reason at Christmas - brittle failure of the weld, I think). The lexan is getting brittle, so there's a lot of tape under the body and the rear wing is almost entirely gaffa now ;)

mrp20_zps085c974a.jpg

I'm building a Wraith at the moment, which should cope much better with the use this gets... but I can't bring myself to put the old gal up for sale!

• Like 2