• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

"VINTAGE" or "RETRO" r/c owners thread.

Gaz!

10 hours ago, Si Coe said:

I heard you say 'I'll just pop the belt out', and as an ex XX-4 owner myself the first thing I did was look at the video runtime to see 15 mins and I thought 'No you won't!' Sure enough cue a quick cut....

Great cars, but never the easiest models to service. Loving the look on the old school blocks though.

I find it relatively easy, owing to all my years racing the XXX-S, but I never expected that! I agree, though, it is more involved than cars of the same era... I'm guessing because of the sealed drivetrain?

• 1 month later...

Received this last week, its a mardave R12 mini, not a swb V12. Its basicly a narrow swb version of a v12. Not too common now as they wernt made for very long in the early '90's. For what i paid I expected a slightly raced/knackered example, but this one hasnt ever been used! It came with 2 bodies, this italian job mini, pictured with its original wheels.P1050179_zps1kstsu2u.jpg

This is the chassis. As basic as they come. Now fitted with some better wheels, which make the other body look like.....

P1050185%202_zpsy9lf4ywb.jpg

P1050187%202_zpsgacq9vgk.jpg

The plan was to ministock it, but its too nice for that, and with the body being close to boxart and very well finnished, how could I? so far ive fitted bearing on the rear axle and alloy top plate posts, i might change the self tapping screws for allen screws and nuts, mabie ally rear pod....... Theres not much left after that.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 31/03/2018 at 05:36, dinglem said:

Here's a few oldies..... Mardave Meteor (custom), my original '91 RC10 Graphite with a Works '91 suspension set up, an SG Coyote, my original CAT XL with graphite chassis and carpet foams, my Works '91 Yokomo with a mag shot from a 1993 Radio Race Car round (A Final FTD that day), AYK Pro Radiant, PB Maxima and a Yokomo 870c Dogfighter.

I used to be sponsored by MG bitd, and they supplied me with batteries and motors. If anybody has any old MG motors kicking about i would be very very interested in them so please drop me a note. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

15a.jpg

16684857_1200962449957690_1159748536_n.jpg

AYK model was my first 2nd hand model! Real pain to maintain...

looks very mint!!

• 1 month later...

Lets get some more vintage pics lads :D

Anyone 3speed fans?

Recently finished resto

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Being irresponsible with a priceless old truck

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another I recently saved, was rusted to hell but a bit of TLC has it nice again. Debating where to take it, body and paint is quite nice but a lot of the fasteners needed some careful extraction as they had just about turned to dust and melded with the plastic from the rust. Might strip it bare and repaint it black or possibly blue. With the decal layout from the TV advert perhaps. Or maybe i'll leave it.

Vintage Modelsport decals too, those are staying :P

spacer.png

spacer.png

I sadly neglected to take my own pictures of the extend of the rust and general condition, but I do have the listing pics from the seller I bought it from. The pics don't quite do it justice, I almost thought it was a goner when it arrived! Seller explained it was found in a storage lot with a leaky roof, which explained the state of the rear bumper.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Some great work on that old Hilux, looks great now.  I don't envy you that loft find...  I've just started getting into vintage RC a bit more, having until recently been more into the classic 1/8 buggies from the 90's/00's.  I've now gone back to the era that first got me hooked on the hobby, the mid-late 80's, and so far have acquired a couple of the buggies that I always drooled over in my youth - the Kyosho Optima Mid.  I'll put a resto thread together as I go.  I also have a rather sorry example of a 2010 ReRe Tamiya Stadium Blitzer to do, as well as a couple of old 1/8 buggies that still need finishing.

Would be good to hear about more vintage restos / refurbs, it's the part of the hobby that I get the most satisfaction from now, not only from my own perspective, but also reading about the incredible work that others have done on these great old RC's.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...