• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Forum software?

JHarrisonKerr95

Not sure I understand what you're after but maybe I can help, being the tech geek I am. :lol:

The forum software is made by Invision Power Services, aka Invision Power Board. The mobile & desktop version are the same software, it is simply what you call a "responsive" layout. Upon requesting the URL, it will determine what resolution your device supports and choose the appropriate CSS stylesheet to display the layout. (Though it only seems to utilise the two versions. A flexible mobile & desktop version. Flexible = Width adjusts to your screen size.)

It used to be free software back in the day but they charge a few quid now. It's not as good as the likes of vBulletin but it has plenty of support, mods & hacks. Plus it's a damn sight cheaper than vBulletin! ;)

If you need any help setting anything up just drop me a PM. I'm a web developer by trade and have dabbled in pretty much everything.  :thumbsup:

Is there a way to add this into a SMF software mainly for the mobile side so that users can easily acces the site on a mobile instead if using the very big desktop site. Or is there anything similar like this that can be implemented for free or even a small charge each month. Our service provider is run by godaddy but our forum software is SMF. We do have a second test site that is on PHPBB 3 but that is only for tests as we are thinking if going to this into the future.

Personally i don't like Invision, I've used it before and didn't like it, i found it clunky and awkward. Moved over to phpbb as there is lots of support and mods but vbulletin is also a good alternative.

Edited by Exos

Is there a way to add this into a SMF software mainly for the mobile side so that users can easily acces the site on a mobile instead if using the very big desktop site. Or is there anything similar like this that can be implemented for free or even a small charge each month. Our service provider is run by godaddy but our forum software is SMF. We do have a second test site that is on PHPBB 3 but that is only for tests as we are thinking if going to this into the future.

I'll try not to talk technical mumbo jumbo.. :lol:

There is indeed a way to implement it, however I think it could be a big headache to try so on that software.

Currently, SMF have absolutely nothing in place for a mobile version. So that would mean writing custom javascript, html & css specifically for it, to tell it what div's to hide & show for the mobile version. Not an easy or quick task at all, as it's something you would generally do while building the site. - Ensuring nothing conflicts between the two versions.

Here's an example of a fully responsive website I built for a friends relative: www.heartofwindsor.com

If you shrink your browser window size, it will switch between the various mobile versions. Notice how some content will completely disappear for the mobile version. That's what I mean by you have to ensure that you don't hide something a user might need. As you may want to hide a "bookmark us" link for mobile, however in the same div for that link there may be the log-in button. Thus important content is lost..

If I were you, I'd just "migrate" your forum database over to some better software like IPB, phpBB, vBulletin etc, and save yourself the trouble. There's a shed load of hacks & mods that are pre-written for this type of thing which would just involve you copying & pasting their code, instead of writing your own! :)

Might be worth seeing if anyone has provided any mods or hacks for SMF, as its open-source which means anyone can play with their code & redistribute it.  :thumbsup:

Edited by TrickyTris

Cheers Tricky for the great info, I'll take it on board.

Our site is more of a clan/forum for BF3 on PS3: http://specialforcesalliance.co.uk/index.php?action=forum

I've had a look around for MOD's on SMF site and can't seem to find anything for it except WAP but that is ancient tech now a days with smartphones and apps.

We do have a test PHPBB site that I might see if I can implement something like invision into with a decent chat like on our SMF site.

I do like the simplistic layout of the admin panel in SNF than PHPBB but PHPBB is more up to date and modern and more people use so more support it will have.

I know the basics of making a site from school and a little but more on how to program API's/apps into website code and build it but only with basic code as all the other stuff confused me. Tried making the site HTML5 based but kinda ruined it... Actually never got it to work. :P

PHPBB3 is great, I love it. Easy to use and such a nice interface. If you want decent chat, have a look at the Tufat flashchat script, it's $5.

Lee.

And as Admin you can read everyone's PM's :whistling: