• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Heli for a beginner

Sebastian

Hi all

I always wanted a rc helicopter and i think itsbtime for me to get one lol.

So the big question is what is a good beginner helicopter or what should i look for/ avoid when looking/buying my first heli.

Thanks

Seb

If after a true one of say first stop, local gadget shop and get a thee change toy grade as their cheap and no point spending decent money on a three channel one, then after you get bored get a decent 4 channel hobby grade such as any 4ch one by blade (Msr Marx are both good), then also get a 12in1 simulator of eBay to learn the skills and eventually after many 6mounths to a year on the 4ch and sim move up to a small 6ch such as a blade mcpx / 130x or similar. Ones you can fly the small 6ch any helicopter you see you should be able to fly from a small electric 450 right up to a full size turbine monster helicopter, the 3d tricks though you Kay never learn as that takes years and skill!

If u don't mind and don't want a tradional helicopter look into quad copters, I can recommend the hibsan V2 its as some.

This was a rushed post so forgive any mistakes in spelling sorry, and if you would like more in depth information please feel free to PM me, other on here also know lots about helicopters and I'm sure they will pop into this thread soon.

Blade MCX. Brilliant little helis.

Lee.

I found the mcx as boring as hell as it was just too easy.

My advice would be to go straight for a 4 channel fp as they are not too difficult to fly and are still fun indoors even when you can fly.

Something like an atom fp or blade msr or even a blade 120 if you have lots of room.

And I learnt on a raptor 50 nitro, there's no issue really, I can set a goblin 770 up for a novice. The issue is when it goes wrong it goes really wrong, there's a guy on Heli freak who used a TDR as a trainer and apart from one crash at the start did very well. Helis are very differant to any other branch of RC in the fact that they are not self stabilised. They are inherently unstable and without correction will crash very quickly. It's the same for any Heli. The only issue with a large Heli is if it hits you or someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been flying a couple different Syma 3ch indoor's for about a year now. Had great fun with them. Now looking to get something a little more advanced and that I can take outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently selling this:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/180496-align-t-rex-600-nitro-pro-rc-helicopter-complete-package-inc-transmitter/#entry1845236

This was our beginner helicopter.. learn't to fly it connected to the computer with the Reflex XTR cable, then went outside and tried it for real life, with some supervision from a member of the local flying club!

For a nitro trainer you can't get better then a Thunder tiger raptor 30/50. Built like a tank and will run forever if built properly but a point to remember is how big these machines are. If one hits you it's no joke and will do serious damage. If your planning on learning on one of these you NEED to be in a club. You will need buddy box tuition unless you have heaps of money for spares, crash costs of a 50 are normally

If you can already fly then take your pick. Pretty much most of the nitro helis in midland or fastlad are awesome. If you fancy something very nice to fly the nitro G4 is on another level. There's no differance in basic controls its just the tuning part of nitros that can be awkward. Lighter and faster in response then big electrics they make awesome smack machines.