• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Maverick ION MT project Brushless!

jtheg

Drive terrain feels smooth with motor out it rolls on the ground freely and diffs feel smooth too

Might try dropping to an 11t I got in pinion set see how that goes as a a guide what temps are safe though

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I bought a Maverick ION XT there five months and is down.
The car does not work more than 1 meter from the remote control.
The remote control batteries are new and the battery of the car is charging.
I think the problem come from the ESC / Receiver.
Can you help me to remove the ESC / Receiver and replace?
Thanks for help.

Marc

Edited by Eol3

Hello everyone,

I bought a Maverick ION XT there five months and is down.

The car does not work more than 1 meter from the remote control.

The remote control batteries are new and the battery of the car is charging.

I think the problem come from the ESC / Receiver.

Can you help me to remove the ESC / Receiver and replace?

Thanks for help.

Marc

5 monts without failure is nice... i had failure almost out of box after first short ride on grass :P

Check the voltage of all batteries - it may only seem to charge.

5 monts without failure is nice... i had failure almost out of box after first short ride on grass :P

Check the voltage of all batteries - it may only seem to charge.

I have two batteries: the original and a second 800mAh 1200mAh. They both have a normal voltage and they charged.

I had once similar problems, but in fact motor was almost dead, sometimes brushes reacted sometimes in bad position nothing was happening. Check the voltage coming to the motor being this meter away... if voltage is ok and no change with increasing distance - then motor dead, otherwise msot probably ESC or Pistol (in any case repair makes little sense I quess - go to BL and finish problems)

Edited by bosq
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, does this animus diff fit ion perfectly without issues? Because I see that people on ultimaterc forum confirm that animus is working with duratrax mini quake diff:

CIMG5611b-1.png

So the question is if ion would work with duratrax mini quake diff? that might be end of diff troubles I quess...

Edited by bosq

yes i have the animus diffs running in mine so perfect fit!!

Got a link to those mini quake diffs they look the nuts!!

Are they aluminium?

Edited by jtheg

I decided to buy a Maverick Ion MT after following this thread.

I cant even start it. The truck is brand new and the battery is charged. New batteries are in the remote. SW in the car is blinking red. Remote has been both in FR and EU mode. Controller is lit with both a red and green light. But it doesn't bind. No response at all.

Am I being dense and missing something obvious?

I've contacted the seller and they said to press the "receiver/ESC unit for approx 5 seconds" but I don't understand what they mean.

And this my BL setup:

6555969800_1396334322.jpg

Motor:

Leopard hobby 4800KV (decent fit to original mountplate holes - no need to make any changes)

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=51684

ESC 18A Leopard hobby (by now this setup works very well - I now use very soft punch settings and brake, but this is more than enough)

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=60653

Pinion gear:

Duratrax Vendetta 12t (pinion gear from vendetta fits perfectly - both leo motor and vendetta pinion gear have 2,3mm. Pinion gear pitch is 0,6). If anyone wants to follow this I suggest using 13t or even 14t. With 12t motor is not even hot on low grass and has huge power - its like lawn mover now :) but still has very good speed )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DuraTrax-Pinion-Gear-12T-Vendetta-DTXC8359-NIB-/330579842518

Perfect fit of vendetta duratrax pinion gear and maverick ion gear:

4237276300_1396334320.jpg

Tie rods (from Losi mini T - those longer needed a little cut on plastic and then fit well)

http://www.asiatees.com/display?id=45983&brand=Team%20Losi&model=Mini-Baja

Servo/tx/rx - hk

Alu upgrades - asiatees

I suggest closing holes just above differnetials (i glued them) if not used (in MT useless) - just found out plenty of small dust came into diffs that way.

The only problem I struugle with now is back diff. Once I twisted outdrives (solved - now I have alu on back) and now the inside dif gear just got damaged (the reason was : after tie rod installation I had too much loose on dogbones and outdrive just went out too far from diff... now I just tightened tie rods and is fine).

Im going also to order vendetta pinion 13t/14t to decrease torque a bit more.

And if u upgrade - use alu servo saver ( http://www.asiatees.com/display?Himoto-Barren-Parts%20Hop-Ups&brand=Himoto&model=Barren&id=62759 )- plastic one got some sand and is working too poor - now I stretched spring manually, but its not the best solution, it still has some additiona not neccessary friction which decreases steering performance.

Edited by bosq
  • Like 1

I decided to buy a Maverick Ion MT after following this thread.

I cant even start it. The truck is brand new and the battery is charged. New batteries are in the remote. SW in the car is blinking red. Remote has been both in FR and EU mode. Controller is lit with both a red and green light. But it doesn't bind. No response at all.

Am I being dense and missing something obvious?

I've contacted the seller and they said to press the "receiver/ESC unit for approx 5 seconds" but I don't understand what they mean.

I think they mean press the button on the receiver/ESC unit?

• 3 weeks later...

After recent diff problems I think I found a source of it.

When i turn diff without motor - diff works - power on - diff not working. The reason is there is a gap (in my case no so small, like 0,5mm or a bit more even) in diff - thus gear inside work just on tips of teeth. I've noticed the same problem in new diff.

As a quick fix I've cut small washer from some plastic package. I quess it will improve lifetime and work in general. Now it works so much better and even more silent I think.

7651321400_1397843089.jpg

• Like 1

After beatiful day 2-packet session I was so happy that car was not broken... ofc it was illusion... I lost tooth in back dif, which I realized at home rotating wheels by hand. Even though I have very soft punch and brake settings, it's just too weak to handle mediocore offroad drive on my setup. Any ideas how to solve the matter? (maybe going up with pinion gear would decrease force on gears..12t on 4800kv may be too less).

2017508300_1398074660.jpg

I hope they will develop steel parts someday... this part in on "coming soon" list from some time.

http://www.himotoracing.com/part_list.php?category=UP&ref_no=buggy_e020

• 3 months later...

Old thread but really inspiring :) I just bought my son a Maverick Ion XT. it was his birthday present and not 2 minutes into his first run it seems the esc combined unit burnt out. Now I understand this hobby has costs but surely I could expect more?  My boy was upset and smoke was coming out :) Anyway I am going to try and get a replacement esc from the store under warranty but need a more permanent fix. Thanks for all the ideas guys and I hope to be upgrading to brushless lipo ASAP!

Much useful and new information to read here, have a ION even and identical car from Himoto with brushless setup. But I would have liked some other tires and rims for it. Might like tires for turing car. Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

My boy was upset and smoke was coming out

I know what you feel - I had the same problem with my son (7y) ... birthday gift ... in first 15 min broken servo horn, in next 15 min smoked 1st motor.

But after all upgrades now it is so overpowered that my son does not even try to run it, he's too scared by its top speed and drama crashes... so I do :)

Next upgrade on the way (as drivetrain is still too weak a bit): alu shaft +ball diff + steel diff gear (and alu servo-saver - at those speeds this small thing reaches plastic one not stable enough)

Much useful and new information to read here, have a ION even and identical car from Himoto with brushless setup. But I would have liked some other tires and rims for it. Might like tires for turing car. Any suggestions?

jtheg solved that some time ago : http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/172634-maverick-ion-wheels/?p=1765072

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Just short update on alu suspension arm upgrade - this is in fact only look upgrade, in sense of reliability I think its downgrade - see mine after recent weekend - twisted like hell after several speed X-Wing-like rotations

7161787000_1411294431.jpg

Some not too smart engineer decided to take out too much material and made a weak spot - marked with arrow below

2981407100_1411294432.jpg

As it happened without any "standard" crash into something, I think I'll come back to the palstic ones (the original ones I left on back are in very good shape - straight).

Now with some help of hammer I'm gonna recover those alu and left as precious spare parts.

• 1 month later...

Pinion gear:

Duratrax Vendetta 12t (pinion gear from vendetta fits perfectly - both leo motor and vendetta pinion gear have 2,3mm. Pinion gear pitch is 0,6). If anyone wants to follow this I suggest using 13t or even 14t. With 12t motor is not even hot on low grass and has huge power - its like lawn mover now :) but still has very good speed )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DuraTrax-Pinion-Gear-12T-Vendetta-DTXC8359-NIB-/330579842518

Perfect fit of vendetta duratrax pinion gear and maverick ion gear:

Dont go for it - this aluminum which this part is made of is muuuuch too soft for the power this brushless setup generates (and the plastic from which original opossite gear is made of is on the other hand pretty good). It lasted .ca 10 packets. Finished like that:

2405717000_1415440105.jpg

Edited by bosq

• 3 weeks later...