• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

So my axle extenders came in the post but the pins are slightly thicker so will need to drill out the axles 

Anybody else done this? or did you use the original pins which are quite thin really 

Sometimes the dog bones have a bit to much end float but some silicone O rings or a couple of pieces of fuel tubing can help reduce that

Put an O ring in each drive cup then put the dog bone back in and check how much float there is

Like storm said but don't use too thick tubing as they will bind otherwise 

I did it on mine buy had to make it thinner 

Hpi have them sponge pads from factory but they wear over time so rubber would be a better option 

On 21/12/2021 at 10:51, The Dark Knight said:

Brings back good memories reading through this thread, my Savage XS SS was one of my favorite rc's, wish HPI would release it again.

spacer.png

I just recently bought a SS off ebay 

Haven't had chance to give it a run yet 

I do like the options parts that they included with it 

IMG_20211122_230020.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fitted the axle extenders to my shelf queen 

Had to drill the axle out to fit the thicker pins, went through 3 drill bits as they must be hardened axles 

There is alot side to side play so need to shim them out abit 

What size shims did other people use who have these extenders? 

IMG_20220207_205801.jpg

IMG_20220207_200939.jpg

IMG_20220207_205742.jpg

After abit of fettling I used the hpi foam spacers pack that I had in the spares box and managed to get rid of most of the slop 

They don't tend to last forever as they deteriorate over time and squish but should be alright for the time being as its only on the shelf queen 

I dug out some old tyres just to see the width difference and it is quite noticable, will be Interesting to see the handling. 

Will be getting some nice wheels and tyres at some point to make it look more normal rather than semi slicks 😂

On my main basher xs I installed a t bone racing wheelie bar 

Its mounted ontop of the original skid plate using the original screws. 

How ever I found the longer screws didn't quite catch so I put them in as normal underneath and then drilled 2 holes to put some self tappers in whilst using the other 2 shorter original mounting screws too

Doesn't look the prettiest but Its a basher and if it works then hey ho 👍

Mounted the shell on the shelf queen as well ready for paint

Need to fit the traxxas turn buckles to give the shelf queen some steering 

Got the rod and ends just need time to modify them. 

I think my basher shell has seen better days after many attempts at fixing it 😂😂

My xs fleet is all rolling now 😁😁

IMG_20220207_213720.jpg

IMG_20220207_215844.jpg

IMG_20220207_215643.jpg

IMG_20220207_221203.jpg

IMG_20220207_221237.jpg

IMG_20220207_230005.jpg

IMG_20220207_230009.jpg

IMG_20220207_230055.jpg

IMG_20220207_230059.jpg

IMG_20220207_230128.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Flux XS.   Disassembled the tranny to replace the stock idler gear with a 60T.  Added a m5 washer to prevent the gear from sliding on the shaft.  Also cleaned the gearbox of excess grease to prevent it from getting onto the slipper pad.  The truck was assembled pretty well with red loctite on wheel hex pins and pins on the tranny outdrive cups, blue loctite on motor and motor pinion.  However, HPI short changed this unit by omitting a bearing on the idler gear (the bearing on the 32 t side) and a m3 washer that goes on the screw that mounts the motor.

20220222_171911.jpg

Edited by testrak
Added details on build

Apparently the gearbox seemed to be designed to accept a m3 locknut with m3x32 mm cap head screw.  However HPI decided to use shorter screw without a locknut to hold this area together.  I think this would be a good mod since the locknut can keep the screw from potentionally backing out and would strengthen the clamping force in that area since there is only 1 locknut on the motor side of the gearbox.

20220223_150717.jpg

Edited by testrak
Added detail.

Ordered some HD parts from rc4me.us and this is what arrived in non HPI bags.  These are knockoffs as the tranny outdrive (lower left unit) is slotted in the middle compared to the pic that was posted by leongordon234 on page 96.  I also noticed the slots are not completely straight compared to the stock unit.  The site uses HPI HD part numbers and is misrepresenting the product being sold.  Please avoid buying from them.

20220225_214746.jpg

Edited by testrak
Added detail
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HPI OEM parts arrived.  Diff parts are higher quality as they are made in Taiwan.    I noticed #115319 slipper pad can substituted for the Flux XS.  It will need to be trimmed down in size and shape to fit.  

20220319_120804.jpg

Edited by testrak
Added info.

• 3 months later...

Those cups look nice, ive noticed the center ones need replacing every few runs it seems. I also found we have twisted some drive shafts 25% atleast are there stronger ones?
The stock diffs are super strong, just did 70mph with the savage at a recent speed run event on stock motor too. Seems the power is to much for the drive cups out the transmission as they are eaten, along with 6 shattered grub screws, shearing the pin on it seems common.