• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

16 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Talking of wings… mine finally gave up the ghost again, it does get punished. So I got the white version, it is a HSP racing one. Think it looks cool with the pro-line wheels 😃

BF08CC2E-6B8B-4B2B-8225-742D631A5C76.thumb.jpeg.9986c19f34a99a4a3e761913ebb30c00.jpeg

Links?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BaldyMan said:

Mine got a new aluminium front plate and Carnage bumper as I've already bent a shock rod. 

20220505_151829.jpg

20220505_151816.jpg

Looks like a sensible option, I am not sensible, I got sick of the front bumper breaking so I just cut that bit of the chassis off and have no bumper!!! 
I did upgrade the shocks to big bore ones that are much tougher than the plastic stock ones tho!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Looks like a sensible option, I am not sensible, I got sick of the front bumper breaking so I just cut that bit of the chassis off and have no bumper!!! 
I did upgrade the shocks to big bore ones that are much tougher than the plastic stock ones tho!

It hasn't worked out. The Carnage bumper fixes to the front plate but needs a rear suspension mount fitting at the front because of the central support arm on the bumper.

Without that the bumper just bends back and snaps as I have discovered. I'm putting the Vantage bumper back on and will just have to be more careful. Also the blue anodized plate got scratched instantly. I was expecting it to last a bit longer. All I did was bump it up from grass to my brick patio. It's like less than an inch higher and that's enough to scratch it.

If I wreck the shocks again I'll swap them out for big bores on the front. Probably my next upgrade will be the pinion and spur gears. I just don't know whether I should get the 32DP or the 48DP

Edited by BaldyMan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BaldyMan said:

It hasn't worked out. The Carnage bumper fixes to the front plate but needs a rear suspension mount fitting at the front because of the central support arm on the bumper.

Without that the bumper just bends back and snaps as I have discovered. I'm putting the Vantage bumper back on and will just have to be more careful. Also the blue anodized plate got scratched instantly. I was expecting it to last a bit longer. All I did was bump it up from grass to my brick patio. It's like less than an inch higher and that's enough to scratch it.

If I wreck the shocks again I'll swap them out for big bores on the front. Probably my next upgrade will be the pinion and spur gears. I just don't know whether I should get the 32DP or the 48DP

The zorro bumper might work, it has the brace buit in and unlike the outlaw / carnage one used above that has the wishbone, that needs a different shock mount to screw too.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/316950/

Usally find 32dp is nice because most other cars run it, also benifits have bigger teeth that resist damage, chuck the ftx brass pinion away and get a steel one too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BaldyMan said:

Probably my next upgrade will be the pinion and spur gears. I just don't know whether I should get the 32DP or the 48DP

Not sure how changing the spur will be possible with the slipper clutch setup on the vantage as the clutch pads sit in recesses in the spur, other spurs will just be flat so the slipper clutch pads won’t sit right. You can get steel versions, I have this and run it with a 27t steel pinion and have had no issues since I fitted it.

unless of course they make 32 or 48 dp spurs with the machined bit for the slipper!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Vanden Plas said:

Not sure how changing the spur will be possible with the slipper clutch setup on the vantage as the clutch pads sit in recesses in the spur, other spurs will just be flat so the slipper clutch pads won’t sit right. You can get steel versions, I have this and run it with a 27t steel pinion and have had no issues since I fitted it.

unless of course they make 32 or 48 dp spurs with the machined bit for the slipper!

They do. They have 32DP and 48DP spur gears available and they have the recess for the gaskets too. Obviously you need a 48DP pinion to match the spur. The brass pinion looks chewed up already but the spur gear still looks fine. I'll probably change them as a pair next month because wifey dear is whining about the spends again. 

Modelsport.co.uk sell a hardened steel 32DP spur and pinion set but that's out of stock. A lot of people seem to be going with the hardened acetal plastic spur over steel.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Redback said:

The zorro bumper might work, it has the brace buit in and unlike the outlaw / carnage one used above that has the wishbone, that needs a different shock mount to screw too.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/316950/

Usally find 32dp is nice because most other cars run it, also benifits have bigger teeth that resist damage, chuck the ftx brass pinion away and get a steel one too.

I believe the Zorro bumper does fit, it's whether it looks a bit daft. The Carnage one did look a bit daft, I'm just going to improve my driving and I'll probably just buy another truck for general bashing.

• Like 2

I still get my FTX out now and again and enjoy it. Although I have to confess the best thing I ever did with my Carnage was put Vantage parts on it and make it a buggy conversion since I also kept breaking diffs and arms. Smaller wheels and less rolling resistance (not to mention the mass it carries into a crash) has made it seem like its overall a bit more resilient.

I was getting sick of carring it back to the car in pieces

Don't even talk to me about that waste of plastic they call a bumper...  😅

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to a few more mods (due to crashes)  Alloy floor pan, It's a Chinese job but fits perfectly! latest was to fit a set of Injora shocks Via AliExpress. Very nice shocks! not had a chance to test drive it yet but feels much better. only gripe is that the ball joints are quite loose fitting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001325654336.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.113b1802WLkczP

Will post pics soon 😄

Edited by Keith Williams
Addition
  • Like 2

Just bought new carnage rear arms they arrived to day an they are smaller than the ones I have .  Exactly the same just smaller   the seller says there carnage ones  are the vantage ones smaller???or bugsta   ???? 

Ps any one want to swap   ? Pair of smaller rear plastic arms  for longer carnage ones .  Cheers . 

• Like 2

The Vantage ones aren't as wide, sounds like the seller is confused...

Carnage and Bugsta are identical, IIRC, apart from the body and tyre tread pattern.

• Like 2

Hi cheers . 

So what parts have I bought there identical in shape and design  but just about inch shorter . And there for the rear. So cant have shorter back ones  did think about putting them on the front but cant be bothered to swap all the stuff over . . 

So what car do these fit . Cheers 

4 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Hi cheers . 

So what parts have I bought there identical in shape and design  but just about inch shorter . And there for the rear. So cant have shorter back ones  did think about putting them on the front but cant be bothered to swap all the stuff over . . 

So what car do these fit . Cheers 

This is weird as the front and back arms are different in design as well as length so I doubt you have the front ones. The vantage rear arms are very similar in design but doesn’t have the whole of the hinge pin covered,  according to the drawings although I don’t have a carnage so I don’t really know. 

I would recommend just putting in the part number ftx6321 into google and comparing what you have to that!

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/365910

Cheers guy I will let him know  but no point posting them back as they was only £5  if bought another pair off diffrent seller an they same size   I'll just let him know cheers 

• Like 1