• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 24/03/2022 at 21:52, Ant.p said:

The electronics in FTX carnage’s aren’t great. You will likely find something stops working after a while on the brushed system.

The stock brushless isn’t much better, and the battery that comes with both options are literally just to get you going (for 10 minutes if you’re lucky). 

I went for the brushed version, and then upgraded to brushless with a decent Hobbywing combo at a later date. This way teaches you more about Rc mechanics and electronics.

other things you’ll want to consider:

hardened spur and pinion

decent charger (skyrc t200 or similar would future proof you)

upgraded servo 

upgraded servo saver

Front and rear aluminium suspension holders

replacement wheels (foam inserts on stock will turn to dust)

FTX Zorro front bumper as stronger than stock one.

not all at once, just as and when they break, which they will if you use it!

Great list, thank you

New to vantage but have built a couple of kits before. Got the brushless for my son yesterday, broke the rear suspension holder first time out! (car Vs post). Assume I should just get the alu one now? Worth doing the fronts while I'm at it? 

Its a great little car for him. We use it on a football field near home so it's not crazy fast for him (he's 8). But it will get some damage I expect! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lex524 said:

Great list, thank you

New to vantage but have built a couple of kits before. Got the brushless for my son yesterday, broke the rear suspension holder first time out! (car Vs post). Assume I should just get the alu one now? Worth doing the fronts while I'm at it? 

Its a great little car for him. We use it on a football field near home so it's not crazy fast for him (he's 8). But it will get some damage I expect! 

My lads the same age! He’s pretty careful with his, so it’s usually me that breaks it 🤦🏼‍♂️😅

I would definitely recommend the aluminium suspension holders. Went through several before upgrading and haven’t broken one since. The alloy FTX uses isn’t the best, but it’s stronger/less brittle than the plastic. Just don’t be tempted to go all alloy, keep plastic where you can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

My lads the same age! He’s pretty careful with his, so it’s usually me that breaks it 🤦🏼‍♂️😅

I would definitely recommend the aluminium suspension holders. Went through several before upgrading and haven’t broken one since. The alloy FTX uses isn’t the best, but it’s stronger/less brittle than the plastic. Just don’t be tempted to go all alloy, keep plastic where you can.

Yes I think I will stop there gets a bit pricey otherwise. Was considering the bigger carnage bumper though people seem to say that then breaks the top chassis.... From your list will the gears eventually go, I had assumed the brushless one came with hardier running gear anyway? 

He's generally pretty good but got a bit unlucky going around some goal posts! 

I found a great place not far from me   castle coch near cardiff  an it's got massive moat around the castle (dry empty no water lol )  and long bendy paths to bash along  large empty grass area to zoom along   an high drop banks to drive the car off down in to the moat part   and steel spikes sticking out the ground about 2 to 3 inchs    for you smash into and rip off the back suspension aaaaahhahhhhhhhhhh  .

But once you see then you keep a watch out  I think there in the ground to keep the banks from collapsing  need to take an anglegrinder or heavy sledgehammer  next time lol . 

7 minutes ago, Lex524 said:

Yes I think I will stop there gets a bit pricey otherwise. Was considering the bigger carnage bumper though people seem to say that then breaks the top chassis.... From your list will the gears eventually go, I had assumed the brushless one came with hardier running gear anyway? 

He's generally pretty good but got a bit unlucky going around some goal posts! 

It depends how you (or your lad) drive it. If you’re easy on the throttle/breaks and don’t jump too high the standard gears will probably last well. This is something only time will tell. 

Well I've pulled the trigger on a brushless FTX Vantage, should arrive by Friday. I've picked up a set of Fastrax Arrow Road wheels and tyres as well as 2 more 2S, 5200mAh batteries  so hopefully that'll get me up and running with it.

Is there any immediate maintenance issues I should be aware of before I put the batteries in and blast it about the street?

3 hours ago, BaldyMan said:

Well I've pulled the trigger on a brushless FTX Vantage, should arrive by Friday. I've picked up a set of Fastrax Arrow Road wheels and tyres as well as 2 more 2S, 5200mAh batteries  so hopefully that'll get me up and running with it.

Is there any immediate maintenance issues I should be aware of before I put the batteries in and blast it about the street?

You could check the gear mesh on the pinion and spur, mine was way too tight out of the box! Other than that you could just check screws for tightness and then enjoy…… till something breaks! Then buy multiples or hop ups of those bits 😀

Well the Vantage arrived with the new Etronix transmitter. I've noticed there's a bit of a dead spot though when I go to pull the trigger. Is this something I can alter with throttle trim?

20220426_173215.jpg

20220426_171706.jpg

On 19/04/2022 at 17:15, BaldyMan said:

The arrow road wheels are quite delicate, the ftx vantage is a great beginner car as it has tons of upgrades, it's worth getting the program card for the esc as Ive found the brakes set a bit to high on the ftx brushless cars, but otherwise get out and enjoy it!

2 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

The arrow road wheels are quite delicate, the ftx vantage is a great beginner car as it has tons of upgrades, it's worth getting the program card for the esc as Ive found the brakes set a bit to high on the ftx brushless cars, but otherwise get out and enjoy it!

They were only a few quid so if they don't last then it's no crying shame. It's more to protect the offroad tyres on the occasion I just want to blast up and down the street with it.

I think I will pick up the program card and probably have a look at the aluminium 12mm hex nuts for the wheels too. 

Are there any alternative body shells for the FTX Vantage? I've noticed pretty quickly that it's made of paper and it also seems a bit small. It bulges  on one side where the cables are tied down so there must not be much airflow around the esc cooling fan.

I don't mind painting and cutting up a body just to get one to fit. I'll probably do the old gorilla tape method to protect them as well

Thing with buggy shells is that they are all made pretty tight fitting so I think you will struggle to find one that isn’t made for a vantage that will fit, didn’t find a problem with mine fitting with the stock gear in it, and it is still going many crashes on, the rear wing on the other hand was more brittle than a fallen autumn leaf! I haven’t read through all of this thread but don’t remember seeing someone use a different buggy shell on a vantage, maybe a bit of cleaning up of the stock wiring with some well placed cable ties might get the cables out the way so it fits nicely. 

it was necessary for me to cut a hole in mine when I upgraded to a hobbywing 120A esc and motor where I put a double cooling fan on the motor but you shouldn’t need anything drastic like that with the stock gear!

1DBF261D-4677-4A1A-8C33-61DBE8DB181F.thumb.jpeg.6e1b32a8e94a2fde32ef31e1f83a1773.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Thing with buggy shells is that they are all made pretty tight fitting so I think you will struggle to find one that isn’t made for a vantage that will fit, didn’t find a problem with mine fitting with the stock gear in it, and it is still going many crashes on, the rear wing on the other hand was more brittle than a fallen autumn leaf! I haven’t read through all of this thread but don’t remember seeing someone use a different buggy shell on a vantage, maybe a bit of cleaning up of the stock wiring with some well placed cable ties might get the cables out the way so it fits nicely. 

it was necessary for me to cut a hole in mine when I upgraded to a hobbywing 120A esc and motor where I put a double cooling fan on the motor but you shouldn’t need anything drastic like that with the stock gear!

1DBF261D-4677-4A1A-8C33-61DBE8DB181F.thumb.jpeg.6e1b32a8e94a2fde32ef31e1f83a1773.jpeg

I've noticed the wing is brittle, mine has already started to have paint flake off after about 3 battery packs of run time.

Are there any recommendations for hard plastic wings? I reckon the dual fans look smart on the Vantage, it's a nice clean cut and looks like they're meant to be there.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BaldyMan said:

I've noticed the wing is brittle, mine has already started to have paint flake off after about 3 battery packs of run time.

Are there any recommendations for hard plastic wings? I reckon the dual fans look smart on the Vantage, it's a nice clean cut and looks like they're meant to be there.

I put a quantam vandal wing on my vantage, it's a hard wing and fits perfectly as it's the same car

IMG_20211210_125159.jpg

48 minutes ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

I put a quantam vandal wing on my vantage, it's a hard wing and fits perfectly as it's the same car

IMG_20211210_125159.jpg

Thanks, I think I'm gonna order one in then. That's if can source one. Otherwise I'll probably have to test fit the FTX Comet wing or some HSP generic wing from eBay

Edited by BaldyMan