• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

11 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

What lipo battery charger do you get in the package? Everyone really rates the skyrc t100 and t200 for the price. Battery of Amazon will be sub20.

Link below is for two batteries.

Zeee 2S Lipo Battery 5200mAh 7.4V 80C RC Battery Hard Case with Upgraded Deans T Plug for 1/8 1/10 RC Vehicles Car Slash RC Buggy Truggy RC Airplane UAV Drone FPV(2 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YN85JWD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VSZW3N71E8CBCA20XCGZ

Will the sky RC t100 charge thise batteries ok? Or ideally one on Amazon I could primed to me for tomorrow 🤦🏻‍♂️ thanks

Edited by adamfshaw

Yes, that will charge those and my any lipo and NiMH batteries. What you might need is adapters as not sure that charger comes with one.

Also your RC car will have the Tamiya connectors for the battery and the batteries will have Dean connectors. So as previously said you might need to brush up on your soldering skills.

Where abouts  are you?

Balance board

OTOTEC 2S-6S Balance Charger Expansion JST-XH Adapter Board For RC Lipo Battery Charging https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MH1MSGM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_8CGVCEG1RPXAXXXZA2AP

Dean charging cables

2Pcs T-Plug to 4mm Banana Charger Cable, Fit for RC Lipo Battery Charging - 12Inch(14AWG) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CGSV7YP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_GB9T52A89KD4KQ6ZTE96

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-accucell-us-plug-c150-ac-dc-10a-150w-smart-balance-charger.html?queryID=95e10c7555f07f08e2ebd31bf560324d&objectID=79273&indexName=hbk_live_products_analytics Bought this from Hobby King price is great. Shipping is a real killer. Great charger though. Similar on eBay are around £70 - Came without a Deans adaptor but they're not that expensive!

Edited by Keith Williams
Addition

I brought the skyrc t100 and the 2s lipos from Amazon prime, seems to work perfect enough until the truck fell apart 🤦🏻‍♂️  new screws ordered and a full bolt check pending.

I have noticed the wheels have a lot of wobble on them, hopefully spacing the the dog bones and hex ppin will sort it tho

52 minutes ago, adamfshaw said:

I brought the skyrc t100 and the 2s lipos from Amazon prime, seems to work perfect enough until the truck fell apart 🤦🏻‍♂️  new screws ordered and a full bolt check pending.

I have noticed the wheels have a lot of wobble on them, hopefully spacing the the dog bones and hex ppin will sort it tho

I shimmed behind the wheel hex hub pins to take some of the wobble out with some 0.5mm 4x8 stainless washers. Don’t quote me on the size, as this was a while back! The wheels defo had less wobble after.

6 hours ago, Ant.p said:

I shimmed behind the wheel hex hub pins to take some of the wobble out with some 0.5mm 4x8 stainless washers. Don’t quote me on the size, as this was a while back! The wheels defo had less wobble after.

I meant to put shim not spacer 🤦🏻‍♂️, to my defence I was in the middle of fitting a new control pendant to a overhead crane haha.

I have got some small washers and will try them when I get the replacement screws.

Is there any essential hop ups anyone can think of that I should be looking at getting?

3 hours ago, steephill said:

Anyone know if there is an aluminium chassis for the vantage? I've seen them for the carnage but not vantage. 

I’m sure I’ve seen them advertised but, I’d probably take Redbacks advice.

3 hours ago, steephill said:

Anyone know if there is an aluminium chassis for the vantage? I've seen them for the carnage but not vantage. 

Hobby king used to do one for the vandal which is exactly the same but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore, they also do a carbon fibre one which is much cheaper than other ftx ones. But do have to wait for delivery from Hong kong

• Thanks 1

On 29/03/2022 at 18:38, adamfshaw said:

I meant to put shim not spacer 🤦🏻‍♂️, to my defence I was in the middle of fitting a new control pendant to a overhead crane haha.

I have got some small washers and will try them when I get the replacement screws.

Is there any essential hop ups anyone can think of that I should be looking at getting?

Definitely get some alloy hexes for the wheels, the plastic ones  are pants. And some Nylock nuts for the wheels rather than the ones you get stock with the washers.

• Like 3

Yesterday was interesting, fitted the new dumbo radio, new straight shafts instead of twisted and bent ones, new OEM wheels and tyres, rebuilt the front shocks, then took the Vantage for a rip... Surely the 60Amp Photon ESC should be able to handle a 55c 3s LiPo but nope, 5 minutes and it was smoking, melting the shell and flinging solder around under the shell, going to get the Maverick FLX-104S 120Amp ESC which should hopefully be good, need new batteries and charger too, thought I might try finding low profile 4s packs but I think even those would be ever so slightly too tall.

20220331_014105.jpg

• Haha 1

On 03/04/2022 at 12:06, Gari_Ferret said:

thought I might try finding low profile 4s packs but I think even those would be ever so slightly too tall.

I did ask jack what 4s he used in his vantage and he replied 

“Used Turnigy 2650mah 4s soft pack 25C yes it cliped in”

so you could try that

I also had a interesting day with my vantage and it’s new 120A esc

So I took my buggy out yesterday, was using it on grass but it was a lovely dry day, 10 minutes into its first run it just suddenly stopped. Nothing running no fans or anything going. Tried turning it on and it occasionally sparked into life for a second then switched off. When it first stopped I checked both the esc and motor for temperature and they were both just warm (I could keep my hand on them). This is a max10 esc combo with a 4600kv motor. I think it has only had 6 batteries run through it and never in the wet. 
When using a fully charged battery it stays on through startup but then dies when throttle is applied, when I was trying with a partially charged battery it sometimes didn’t respond at all and if it did just flick on and off. 
I reset the esc to default setting with the program card but it still does the same thing!

Any clues people or should I just send the thing back as it is barely out the box??

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Keith Williams said:

Was looking at a MAX10 to pair up with my 4300kv 3s combo. I read that the MAX10 Highest kv motor is 4000. Looks like they don't like 4600s!  Anyone know if a MAX 10 60A ESC will handle a 4300kv motor?

Lads outlaw runs a 4700kv 3656 can Hobbywing motor on a max10. Yes it handels 2s and 3s and didnt even die when the fan on the esc stopped working. Seem to be pretty tough. But really if you want more power go the max10sct.
Bare in mind thats through a 3 gear crawler transmission so load is minimal and the motor screams it little head off.

21 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

I also had a interesting day with my vantage and it’s new 120A esc

So I took my buggy out yesterday, was using it on grass but it was a lovely dry day, 10 minutes into its first run it just suddenly stopped. Nothing running no fans or anything going. Tried turning it on and it occasionally sparked into life for a second then switched off. When it first stopped I checked both the esc and motor for temperature and they were both just warm (I could keep my hand on them). This is a max10 esc combo with a 4600kv motor. I think it has only had 6 batteries run through it and never in the wet. 
When using a fully charged battery it stays on through startup but then dies when throttle is applied, when I was trying with a partially charged battery it sometimes didn’t respond at all and if it did just flick on and off. 
I reset the esc to default setting with the program card but it still does the same thing!

Any clues people or should I just send the thing back as it is barely out the box??

That doesnt sound good, maybe a blown mostfet and its cutting the failsafe? What happens if you use anothe rx? or servo tester on the esc same issue?
Id be contacting the place of purchase and starting a warrenty return.

Edited by Redback

1 hour ago, Keith Williams said:

Was looking at a MAX10 to pair up with my 4300kv 3s combo. I read that the MAX10 Highest kv motor is 4000. Looks like they don't like 4600s!  Anyone know if a MAX 10 60A ESC will handle a 4300kv motor?

This is the max10 60A paired with a 5400kv so surely it can handle a 4300kv??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352761668903?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=b1UG2asFR5y&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=uDWqHc-zSrO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Redback said:

That doesnt sound good, maybe a blown mostfet and its cutting the failsafe? What happens if you use anothe rx? or servo tester on the esc same issue?
Id be contacting the place of purchase and starting a warrenty return.

Yeah have contacted who I brought it off and they said they would just replace it 🙂

It's not a power issue really. I've got a goole combo installed. Seems the only programmer card  for it is the, worse then useless, dilwe one - I'm on my second since December, 2 or 3 uses and the bloody thing dies. Hobbywing look a whole lot more professionally made. Unless anyone knows of a programmer card that works with my combo ?

51Wql7lN2PS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just pulled my ftx vantage out the garage after a while... I know last time I replaced a bunch of stuff on the front end but I've obviously done something wrong as the front wheels seem to be sitting high up and the springs possibly a bit compressed which seems not quite right.

Am I missing something? What have I done as I can't tell from looking... prob something stupid no doubt...

PXL_20220402_103614525.jpg

1 minute ago, Keith Williams said:

Jacking screw on the wishbone tightened too much maybe?

I did think that at first but looking at it I'm not sure even if I loosened it right off it would make that much difference.

I will take a look at that again though... 

• Like 1