• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

11 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Hi thanks for the information as I just bought a set     . 

Did you go for the on-road or off-road ones?

If you went for the off-road, let us know how you get on, as will most likely get them next. 

1 hour ago, vimto2000 said:

If you went for the off-road, let us know how you get on, as will most likely get them next. 

I have a set of the off road tyres. They’re great, but (and this could just be coincidental) I started having troubles with my front diff after using these. They are larger and heavier than the standard FTX set which I think adds too much additional weight for the drivetrain to handle. Just my experience though. Others have used this set n their carnage and been okay.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I have a set of the off road tyres. They’re great, but (and this could just be coincidental) I started having troubles with my front diff after using these. They are larger and heavier than the standard FTX set which I think adds too much additional weight for the drivetrain to handle. Just my experience though. Others have used this set n their carnage and been okay.

I wonder how they compare to the bugster wheels as they are bigger than the carnage and probably heavier...and they use the same diffs.

I wonder how they compare to the bugster wheels as they are bigger than the carnage and probably heavier...and they use the same diffs.

The bugsta wheels aren’t quite as large in diameter or width. I also used different tyre inserts to the ones provided with the wheels, which are more dense.

the problem with all the FTX wheels is the inserts - they’re absolutely useless! Otherwise they’d probably be fine to use long term

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Road ones as I dont really go off road much   . And there bigger which chuck out the geraing  and iv only just sorted that out lol 

4 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

The bugsta wheels aren’t quite as large in diameter or width. I also used different tyre inserts to the ones provided with the wheels, which are more dense.

the problem with all the FTX wheels is the inserts - they’re absolutely useless! Otherwise they’d probably be fine to use long term

100% agree with you there m8  when I cleaned out my wheels I had dust and what looked like lumpy sugar  than fome . 

• Haha 1

My other problem with wheels is the hex part dont seem to be very strong and rounds off . What about bugst wheels  how do they hold up .. as I like the look them . 

5 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

A mate has a Bugsta and suffers many more transmission and suspension breakages than others do with Carnages and Outlaw - we concluded it was down to the much heavier wheels and tyres…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Road ones as I dont really go off road much   . And there bigger which chuck out the geraing  and iv only just sorted that out lol 

I've not had a single problem with the road ones at all. Plus they are a little smaller than the stock ones and not as grippy... Which really works in favour of the drive train! 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone used traxxas slash wheels? They look a decent upgrade, not too heavy or too small, an look like they can take a tumble or 2 before buckling, I suffer if wheel wobble alot. Bugsta wheels are rubbish, I run on the rear an they lasted about 3 runs longer than normal carnage wheels. IL post pics tomoz if I'm able to try my brother in laws slash wheels 🤠

24 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Has anyone used traxxas slash wheels? They look a decent upgrade, not too heavy or too small, an look like they can take a tumble or 2 before buckling, I suffer if wheel wobble alot. Bugsta wheels are rubbish, I run on the rear an they lasted about 3 runs longer than normal carnage wheels. IL post pics tomoz if I'm able to try my brother in laws slash wheels 🤠

So what causes the wheel wobble? Is it just the tolerances in the hubs? 

1 hour ago, Madmoz7610 said:

I got traxxas wheels on my other car and they are fantastic    

• Like 1

Mine it's the (what I think it Is)  the new inserts  iv tried to line them up but they wobbled all the time (wont  now as there dead lol ) 

• Like 1

Before I put them in I trimmed the edges so they sit in the tyres better .dont think it made any difference.  

As I put the car on the stand  and put a flat screwdriver next to the rim of the wheel then drove the wheels and the screwdriver didnt touch the wheel rim at all but the  wheel was all over the place   so it was the  tyre that was out of place  .just the back wheels  the front are lined up.  .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

No they are buckled, I know I bash it pretty hard but would like the wheels to last longer than 3/4 outings before goin. Been lookin at the 12mm to 17mm hub adapter an running 1/8th wheels as they seem a bit better built but will try out the slash wheels tomoz an see if it likes it 🤠

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

No they are buckled, I know I bash it pretty hard but would like the wheels to last longer than 3/4 outings before goin. Been lookin at the 12mm to 17mm hub adapter an running 1/8th wheels as they seem a bit better built but will try out the slash wheels tomoz an see if it likes it 🤠

hub adaptors might work, but you will just bend axles next, i have metal wheels on my outlaw and yeah the next weakest link is the axle ends that take the nut.

3 hours ago, Redback said:

hub adaptors might work, but you will just bend axles next, i have metal wheels on my outlaw and yeah the next weakest link is the axle ends that take the nut.

Bugga, gona test fit the slash wheels later but not runnin it as too wet here lol mainly for pics an to see if they look silly or not. Will update later 

On 06/08/2021 at 12:16, vimto2000 said:

Hi the wheels arrived today and they look very nice.  Cant wait to bash them  lol 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, V8Guitar said:

Just watched this, I have no idea why you are experiencing breakages 🙂 You are not letting up ha! Good one!!

We had a lot more damage when the cars were on tarmac...the grass has definitely saved a lot of parts 🙂 

On 08/08/2021 at 22:51, Iain .R said:

Hi the wheels arrived today and they look very nice.  Cant wait to bash them  lol 

Well bashed them good today    and went bit wild and went off road on to a playing field  trying to get back on to the road (tyres are crap lol on the grass) and went all over the shop and hit a telegraph pole snapped the chassis .   Flock a sporren . 

So just bought a new chassis . So on to the other cars for now     

• Sad 2

This morning, charged up all the batteries to take the Carnage and the X-Maxx out.

However it didn't last long!!
My mate came along with his sons Carnage, while plugging everything in.. he potentially fried his receiver and ESC by plugging the balance cable into the receiver. (Noob)
So I lent my carnage to his son... So my youngest and his kid accidentally have a head-on collision while I'm still getting sorted! Both came back with limp A Arms!
My older lad manages to keep his running.. Just lost a few body pins...and after checking the body post had fractured.
X Maxx... Just soaked it all up and laughed at the Carnages.
Just a depressing 10 mins for the kids!! At least the repairs are cheap and I had spares!

Gonna try again tomorrow!
Edited by vimto2000
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1