• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

How long has the FTX models been out for and CML still can’t be bothered in making/sourcing/commissioning someone to provide steel diffs. For me if they sorted this one big issue it would be a stinking car.

I asked the guy that made my steel pinion on eBay if he'd thought about making the diff gears and he said the issue is there's too much flex in the chassis. Upgrading the top deck and chassis he'd not had any issues since. Unless you're talking about putting 3s through them, I don't think they were really made for it being the lower end of the market. Saying that though I just destroyed my front diff on 2s, think that may have been the slipper clutch nut loosening itself off though 🤬

Can anyone remember who done the DIY chassis brace with aluminium tube? I can't find it on the search and not trawling through nearly 300 pages to find it 😂😂😂 just wondering where on the towers he had mounted it to.

Edited by Scottyb

6 hours ago, Nickarla said:

How long has the FTX models been out for and CML still can’t be bothered in making/sourcing/commissioning someone to provide steel diffs. For me if they sorted this one big issue it would be a stinking car.

i am now waiting for some new parts to give them to my friend who owns a machining shop, so he can give me a quote for the custom machined parts...

I have two options in my head:

1. copy of the original diff spur and pinion, but from far better material

2. new custom diff housings (bulkheads) to fit a diff from some other model that is known to be tough and that the part is widelly available (traxxas for example)

Edited by zlab
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, zlab said:

i am now waiting for some new parts to give them to my friend who owns a machining shop, so he can give me a quote for the custom machined parts...

2. new custom diff housings (bulkheads) to fit a diff from some other model that is known to be tough and that the part is widelly available (traxxas for example)

Amazing! I would happily try either option, but assume the stronger material diff copy would be both easier to install and cheaper. Look forward to hearing about this...

5 hours ago, zlab said:

If you can get them made, I think most of us here would buy atleast the spur and pinion. I'd love to run mine on 3s but can't really afford to keep buying diffs for it at the minute lol

Can anyone recommend a solution such as a rear bumper or something to stop the rear body posts snapping on this thing? It’s my sons Carnage and he snaps the rear body posts ( granted from bad landings) every time he takes it out, usually within 5 mins. I’ve upgraded it to carbon shock towers and aluminium posts thinking this would fix it but those posts have snapped too! It seems that any bad hit on the rear or roof landing transfers all of the force through the body posts.

Any advice would be appreciated before we sack it in and by an Arrma Granite lol.

Cheers

Maybe try putting some heat shrink over the plastic body posts mounts, metal ones wont help and dont bend back like the plastic.
Also try trimming the tops of the posts if they stick through to much so they dont dig into the ground.
Could try using two sided velcro to hold on the body also.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PowerOfQMan said:

Can anyone recommend a solution such as a rear bumper or something to stop the rear body posts snapping on this thing? It’s my sons Carnage and he snaps the rear body posts ( granted from bad landings) every time he takes it out, usually within 5 mins. I’ve upgraded it to carbon shock towers and aluminium posts thinking this would fix it but those posts have snapped too! It seems that any bad hit on the rear or roof landing transfers all of the force through the body posts.

Any advice would be appreciated before we sack it in and by an Arrma Granite lol.

Cheers

The wheelie bar made a big difference for me, but it hasn’t cured the issue. Cutting the alloy posts down would help - the shorter they are the stronger they will be.

On my carnage I have the Torro /zorro bumper front and back . Which is 100% recommended compared to the standard rubbish one . 

The back bumper tho you have to make a small bracket to hold it on . 

2 inch x1inch flat alloy with 3 holes in it   that easy  cut to the same shape as the back end . 

As for the posts  make them bit smaller   them I glued some insulation fome to the back of the car bit higher than then posts  so when it flips the fome takes the hit .. also the tali peice is same hight as the fome and 1.5 mm plastic card so its gives bit of protection from landing    

But when its flipping I have still snapped a post   but that was going nuts  lol . 

Or you can put a brushless system in the car and it wont drive  then wont brake any posts .   Sorted .          

On 29/04/2021 at 18:28, Scottyb said:

I think if it's under £130 there isn't any import tax

Who said it would be under £130? A small price to pay if it meant not having to strip the damn thing again 😅

26 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Who said it would be under £130? A small price to pay if it meant not having to strip the damn thing again 😅

Lol be a bit steep tho 😁😁

I've just made an aluminium reinforcement plate for mine as you can see in the first picture to stop the servo twisting the top deck!

Would there be anything wrong/bad about mounting the esc where it's sat in the second picture? Was thinking of mounting it there to reduce/dirt and dust getting near it?

MVIMG_20210430_224059.jpg

MVIMG_20210430_224032.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

I've just made an aluminium reinforcement plate for mine as you can see in the first picture to stop the servo twisting the top deck!

Would there be anything wrong/bad about mounting the esc where it's sat in the second picture? Was thinking of mounting it there to reduce/dirt and dust getting near it?

Nice effort!  Will you spray it blue? Didn’t fancy extending it over the top of the spur too like the carbon top plate? 
only possible issues I can see is that the esc is more vulnerable to impact, and slightly raised centre of gravity, albeit minor.

14 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

If theres room under shell i would think no probs mate :good:

8 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Nice effort!  Will you spray it blue? Didn’t fancy extending it over the top of the spur too like the carbon top plate? 
only possible issues I can see is that the esc is more vulnerable to impact, and slightly raised centre of gravity, albeit minor.

I'm not too fussed about it throwing off the centre of gravity, it weighs a ton now lol, absolute monster 😂

I was starting to make a seperate piece for spur part aswell but got a bit late, i'll finish it off tomorrow. It will go blue when i'm done 😁

22 hours ago, Scottyb said:

I'm not too fussed about it throwing off the centre of gravity, it weighs a ton now lol, absolute monster 😂

I was starting to make a seperate piece for spur part aswell but got a bit late, i'll finish it off tomorrow. It will go blue when i'm done 😁

Is it done?! Keen to see this

Has anyone got a solution to stop the E clip coming off the steering .as I tried a adapted washer but that didnt work very well in the end . I just had to replace 4 off them I cant belive all 4 come off . ( if got 4 cars incase you think i had 4 on one . I wont say the other cars incase I mix threads/cars ) 

Iv had to buy a new steering set up as one was worn down the E cilp had nothing to clip to . 

And yea the steering on all 4 worked   ... .

Why they coming off an how do I stop them   cheers 

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Is it done?! Keen to see this

Not painted it yet, have done a bit for the spur cover but still needs shaping properly. I'll take a pic when it's light 😁 Want to take it out tomorrow to see how different it is with all the metal and top deck brace. I was having a fair bit of trouble with the steering before after I put the 20kg servo on, it was just twisting the plastic top deck and chassis and was just horrible to control. Hopefully now it's trapped between metal it won't be anywhere near as bad.

Just trying to figure out how high/low to set the droop screws at the mo 🤔

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Has anyone got a solution to stop the E clip coming off the steering .as I tried a adapted washer but that didnt work very well in the end . I just had to replace 4 off them I cant belive all 4 come off . ( if got 4 cars incase you think i had 4 on one . I wont say the other cars incase I mix threads/cars ) 

Iv had to buy a new steering set up as one was worn down the E cilp had nothing to clip to . 

And yea the steering on all 4 worked   ... .

Why they coming off an how do I stop them   cheers 

I'm not sure you can coz it's clipped onto plastic, I've lost a few as well but got a tub full in the garage. It's no fun taking it apart all the time and trying to get a new one on though. I'm going to replace mine with the aluminium servo saver I think as it's got a threaded top instead of an E clip and they're only about £10 from China. Hopefully that will sort it!

Edited by Scottyb
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

I'm not sure you can coz it's clipped onto plastic, I've lost a few as well but got a tub full in the garage. It's no fun taking it apart all the time and trying to get a new one on though. I'm going to replace mine with the aluminium servo saver I think as it's got a threaded top instead of an E clip and they're only about £10 from China. Hopefully that will sort it!

If you can post a link plz as your right taken it apart all the time just to clip that on is a pain iv lost two this week . One the car never left the house???????? So where the **** thats gone I dont know . I dont even remember using it . 

As I had a new pack of E clips last sat now iv got none left .  When I bought them I only needed two  both for the carnages   now had to replace all 4 cars . 

You can search for VRX servo saver on AliExpress, they are about £6-7, don't know about delivery price as it keeps spazzing out on my phone.

Or you can get them off eBay (from China) for £12 Clicky

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Thank you   iv been looking and couldnt  find them as I was ftx .  Cheers   thanks