• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Well guys the NEW 60A brushless esc  arrived to day and been fitted  and again swapped the cables around  red _yellow   yellow _red   and it still goes like stink . 

BUT    it's still cogging  out on the road it's a nutter on acid  

Soon as you go onto the grass its chugging not really any movement then after 3 or 5 secs its shoots off . 

Iv lowered the pinion and spur   and a 60A esc  yet off the ground its insane  and on gravel or road  nuts 

Grass or even off road it wont move  ???? 

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

Well guys the NEW 60A brushless esc  arrived to day and been fitted  and again swapped the cables around  red _yellow   yellow _red   and it still goes like stink . 

Soon as you go onto the grass its chugging not really any movement then after 3 or 5 secs its shoots off . 

Iv lowered the pinion and spur   and a 60A esc  yet off the ground its insane  and on gravel or road  nuts 

What esc is it, what battery are you using i assume its a lipo.
If you have been through mutiple escs on the same motor, it could be a dry solder on one of the motor plugs.
Either way doesnt sound right, if you can try another brushless motor that would be best.
Extonix esc? Drop the timing and increase the punch on the esc might also help.

1 hour ago, Redback said:

If you have been through mutiple escs on the same motor, it could be a dry solder on one of the motor plugs.
Either way doesnt sound right, if you can try another brushless motor that would be best.

Hi yes it's a 2s lipo   is the 2an esc    1st   45A   now a 60A . 

As iv gone from standard carnage spur to a 49T and 17T   to now a 9T pinion .

I might ask  if my slipper clutch is too loose would that give the chugg chugg sound and not move    till it gripped affect 

If is dont I'm just trying to work this out . As I swapped  the spur gear to 49T  from 65T I think it was  and just in case it's the slipper not tight enought . 

As it's running on the road I can use it  so I dont want.to tighten the slipper up in case it's got nothing to do with it   and damaging it   so if you can let me know  if you think it will of not affect it . 

Before I try it . Thanks . 

I'm looking to buy another brushless set up /motor as I dont have another one to try/test . 

1 hour ago, Redback said:

I know this going to sound stupid    but  I dont have any idea   where is the motor plugs ???? So I can check   thanks 

14 minutes ago, Gtiracer said:

Is the stock esc worth replacing/upgrading before it breaks, would I notice much difference in the way the car responds or generally just replace once worn out?

The esc shouldnt wear out,  a better / new motor will be night a day for response if its slugish
You can also try cleaning the motor with some bearing blaster over the brushes and computator, I would avoid spraying lubricants into the motor it will attrack more dust and wear out faster.
Assuming your talking about the stock brushed esc, you can try a more powerful esc like a quicrun 1080 or 1060.
The next step up would be brushless and lipo batteries you might expect 50%+ better power / response and runtime from that combo due to the power increase.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Redback said:

The esc shouldnt wear out,  a better / new motor will be night a day for response if its slugish
You can also try cleaning the motor with some bearing blaster over the brushes and computator, I would avoid spraying lubricants into the motor it will attrack more dust and wear out faster.
Assuming your talking about the stock brushed esc, you can try a more powerful esc like a quicrun 1080 or 1060.
The next step up would be brushless and lipo batteries you might expect 50%+ better power / response and runtime from that combo due to the power increase.

Thanks, but I'm the stock brushless setup though?

8 minutes ago, Gtiracer said:

Thanks, but I'm the stock brushless setup though?

Then its unlikely anything but the bearing will wear out, the etronix setup is good, but if you want more punch and power, look at a bigger motor and possibly a stronger esc the stock ones 45amp and the motor is 3650.
Hobbywing max 10 60amp or stc 120amp with 3652 3300kv + motor would give it lots more punch and power. Hobbywing are bulletproof, if you want to go for other brands, just aim for 60amp+ a longer motor can for more torque and higher kv if possible as you can always volt up and gear down.
If then choose to get more performance from changing the spur and pinion gears, these things can really fly.

Edited by Redback
  • Thanks 1

On 06/04/2021 at 21:29, Ant.p said:

Would it be too high if everyone on here wanted a couple? I’d want 4 alone! Who can fabricate these things?

I think that the main problem would be, that i am not located in the UK. Even if we would manage to make them for a reasonable price, i think that it would be a huge pain selling them to the UK 🙄

On 07/04/2021 at 20:16, Iain .R said:

Iain, do you have any multimeter at the hand? Or if you maybe know someone who has it? You should check the resistance between all three wires on the motor (1-2, 1-3, 2-3), they should be the same or at least very close. I suspect that your motor could have a winding failure...

Took my Bugsta out for it's first proper run today up some dirt tracks up the road from me, After smashing the rear suspension tower 2 minutes in on it's first run yesterday (fixed with some zip clips for now lol) Had an absolute blast with it. I don't know how you guys control it with any higher gearing it's savage on 2s with the 47 spur and 12T pinion. Only casualty today was the pinion coming loose on the motor and a couple of piles of  🐕💩. Need to find somewhere better to take it though, too many corn stalks to crash into and dogs not on leads. 😣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Took my Bugsta out for it's first proper run today up some dirt tracks up the road from me, After smashing the rear suspension tower 2 minutes in on it's first run yesterday (fixed with some zip clips for now lol) Had an absolute blast with it. I don't know how you guys control it with any higher gearing it's savage on 2s with the 47 spur and 12T pinion. Only casualty today was the pinion coming loose on the motor and a couple of piles of  🐕💩. Need to find somewhere better to take it though, too many corn stalks to crash into and dogs not on leads. 😣

Pleased to hear you’ve had a better experience today. They’re fun when they’re not broken!

Mines beyond zip wires and is in bits at the moment waiting on a few parts. Fingers crossed I’ll be back up and running again by tomorrow eve, that’s if the postman turns up...

Is there a way to reduce the throttle delay when you pull off from a standstill? Is it the slipper that needs tightening or something or is that just how it is? Has about a 1 second delay when you pull the throttle

33 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Is there a way to reduce the throttle delay when you pull off from a standstill? Is it the slipper that needs tightening or something or is that just how it is? Has about a 1 second delay when you pull the throttle

If the cars making a noise (moving parts but motionless), then it’s possibly the slipper. Otherwise, I’m not sure, as I have the stock transmitter/receiver and haven’t noticed this problem.

It's probably the slipper then, I did take it to bits the other day to swap the spur and change the baby poop in the rear diff so probs not done it up tight enough, i'll have to have a fiddle 😄 

Edited by Scottyb
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

It's probably the slipper then, I did take it to bits the other day to swap the spur and change the baby poop in the rear diff so probs not done it up tight enough, i'll have to have a fiddle 😄 

I took a measurement before dismantling the first time. The distance between the m4 nut and slipper drive cup was approx 8mm as factory fitted.

image.jpg

Well the new shocks arrived I just bought them    and wow what a difference iv got them all the way up and still way more firmer the ftx one wound all way down

Here the ones I bought . 

16180846222468916931425834643743.jpg

I know it says rear  and iv got them on the front  (as long it dont make the car go in reverese  lol ) 

I did have to use a pair of grips to make the bottom a bit smaller as it was almost the same size as the black base cup  but small squeeze of the grips and fits perfect . And supa firm  no bottom out with these .  

17 minutes ago, Redback said:

Glad they worked out, i run hobao front springs on my outlaws too. They work much better and stop it nose diving / bottoming out and rolling on whim.

What size leanth did you get for the outlaw.   As iv put these on the carnage.  

And carnage springs on the outlaw . As the carnage are longer than outlaw . (Well mine are lol )   

I dunno i used springs off my old 1/8th nitro buggy (hobao)
I used the front springs they worked well. The back springs were too long and felt to stiff.
Im sure they have changed the way they make the springs in the last 15 years, so the blue ones i use im not sure if they are even purchasable anymore.
I think for mine i put carnage shocks on the outlaw, my lad runs the hobao ones as he likes to drive like mad max.

Edited by Redback
  • Haha 1