• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper ST brushless conversion guide

I never bothered drilling my chassis to fit the battery tray, i worked out that there would be three holes that lined up, one required a small amount of trimming to the tray so i could get a nut and washer on.

Also after reading all through, i think i found the reason why i've possibly burnt out the 2000kv motor in my ST, it's been over geared, i was on a 19t pinion with full hyper 7 transmission. It must have been drawing that much current it melted the solder joints on the motor wire banana plugs.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Edited by Pistonhead

I never bothered drilling my chassis to fit the battery tray, i worked out that there would be three holes that lined up, one required a small amount of trimming to the tray so i could get a nut and washer on.

Also after reading all through, i think i found the reason why i've possibly burnt out the 2000kv motor in my ST, it's been over geared, i was on a 19t pinion with full hyper 7 transmission. It must have been drawing that much current it melted the solder joints on the motor wire banana plugs.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Yes 19T is probably too much what spur are you using? I've got a 14T with 46T spur on my 2350KV Turnagy and it goes like stink and no overheating

Yes 19T is probably too much what spur are you using? I've got a 14T with 46T spur on my 2350KV Turnagy and it goes like stink and no overheating

I'm using the all hyper 7 transmission, spur gear, centre diff and front and rear diffs with pinions

I'm using the all hyper 7 transmission, spur gear, centre diff and front and rear diffs with pinions

Yes I would say the 19T is too big maybe drop down to say 16T or smaller

I use a XERUN 2200kv motor in my ST with a 19t pinion and 46t spider spur, it is over geared if doing lots of high speed running but for my bashing on a short BMX track with very little traction it has been fine so far.

Went to the track today and all i could get my hands on was a 13t pinny, motor hit the chassis brace before i got half a god mesh, so had to whack the stock ST spur on, only to find that the 13 was the biggest i could get on that mount.

Sooo i'm going to try it out tomorrow and check temps, if something doesn't smoke first lol

• 5 years later...

Just bringing up this thread again, not sure if anyone here still has STs but what pinion size would you guys recommend for a 52t pinion, got a 13t on at the moment with a 2200kv motor and it still seems to be getting really hot? Do I need to reduce the spur gear size?

Thanks

6 hours ago, MiRaGe112 said:

Just bringing up this thread again, not sure if anyone here still has STs but what pinion size would you guys recommend for a 52t pinion, got a 13t on at the moment with a 2200kv motor and it still seems to be getting really hot? Do I need to reduce the spur gear size?

Thanks

It should be ok on 4s. Its geared to about 40mph.  on 6s its geared to 60mph, which is a bit fast for a motor with no heatsink offroad.

How hot is too hot? 

Are all the bearing in the driveline ok?

You could try either adding a heatsink or lower kv motor or a 11/12t pinion. A 12t pinion will get it down to 56mph and a 11t pinion will get you down to 51mph. i would go with a 12t pinion and a heatsink.

Think I might try dropping down a size. It's getting hot enough that I can't hold my finger in it for more than a second...

Bearings are all okay from what I can tell, I would've thought 13t would've been fine but maybe not. I've set the mesh right too.

Think I'll try a 12t and a heatsink, cheers 👍

Edited by MiRaGe112
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2020 at 7:35 AM, MiRaGe112 said:

Think I might try dropping down a size. It's getting hot enough that I can't hold my finger in it for more than a second...

Bearings are all okay from what I can tell, I would've thought 13t would've been fine but maybe not. I've set the mesh right too.

Think I'll try a 12t and a heatsink, cheers 👍

What was the result of these actions?

• 1 month later...

Don't forget that BL systems will also run hot if under geared (and you driving WOT all the time to compensate).  Brushless motors have lots of torque, assuming driveline is good, and that motor is a 40/42 mm 74 mm long min then 2200 i'd guesstimate at 17t for 4s.