• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

8 minutes ago, Redback said:

Went out for a play / testing.
Bronco now has rear underdrive and rear brass + more brass on the front steering. Sitting now at 4.2kg seems just about right, doesnt seem to like to roll on its side as much.
20220730_122043.jpg

Solid front axle gatekeeper did well, the tires are horrible but now they are wearing in they are becoming much better at holding on. Also upped the overdrive from stock to all the way.

20220730_124129.jpg

That crawler at the bottom is cool as ****! What is it?

1 hour ago, Borked said:

That crawler at the bottom is cool as ****! What is it?

Gday Borked, love the ftx's too! I recently found ftx diffs and axial diffs fit on each others housings, maybe they will fit in the ftx diff housings, im running an axial spur on an ftx housing im my axial yeti, just a warning the diffs are the weak point once sorted its the front drive shaft cv pins that will shear, i wonder if the yeti / currie driveshafts will fit the ftx outlaw (same parts as carnage) if so it will allow accsess to much stronger front drive line parts at twice the price 😕

The car your asking about is an Element RC Gatekeeper, looks good performs ok, theres better out there, im really not impressed with the steering angles and flex in the plastics at the moment.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Redback said:

Gday Borked, love the ftx's too! I recently found ftx diffs and axial diffs fit on each others housings, maybe they will fit in the ftx diff housings, im running an axial spur on an ftx housing im my axial yeti, just a warning the diffs are the weak point once sorted its the front drive shaft cv pins that will shear, i wonder if the yeti / currie driveshafts will fit the ftx outlaw (same parts as carnage) if so it will allow accsess to much stronger front drive line parts at twice the price 😕

The car your asking about is an Element RC Gatekeeper, looks good performs ok, theres better out there, im really not impressed with the steering angles and flex in the plastics at the moment.

Hi Redback!

That’s really interesting about the axial diffs… thanks for the info!

I don’t mind spending twice as much is it lasts more than twice as long. I’ve been through at least 3 front diff spur gears, so am certainly interested in upgrades, even if they cost a few quid. 

I know precisely zero about RC crawlers, I just thought the one at the bottom looked really cool, like a real rock bouncer. Shame it’s not as good as it looks!

20 hours ago, supersavage said:

Found some small skate/BMX ramps buried in the shed. Not the biggest ramps but they're about perfect for "scale" monster truck driving. Unfortunately the body took more of a beating as I discovered that the back of the ramps are perfect for back flips 😂Really want to get down the park but I have to choose between road rash or dog mess so chose road rash as the amount of dog mess over the park is ridiculous 🤬

YOvhmrb.jpg

Nice little spot to bash on bouskell park don't think that's too far from you

• Like 1

Just now, supersavage said:

Will have to see if I can find it :good:

Just through the carpark on the right, couple of nice little jumps under the trees. None of the dog walkers go down that bit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tanveer said:

Just through the carpark on the right, couple of nice little jumps under the trees. None of the dog walkers go down that bit

Just found it on google maps, didn't know there was a park there lol usually go to the shops regularly around there so will have to stick a battery on charge and throw the truck in the truck next time I go shopping. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, supersavage said:

Just found it on google maps, didn't know there was a park there lol usually go to the shops regularly around there so will have to stick a battery on charge and throw the truck in the truck next time I go shopping. 

Thats exactly what I do😂 quick stop there everytime I nip into aldi

• Haha 1

After seeing some tidy wiring on this thread the other day, I thought I’d try to tidy the Carnage’s wiring. The main aim was to move the receiver, power switch and capacitor pack off of the upper plate as I remove this quite often for maintenance, and also just make it look a bit tidier. 

Starting point:

7EFF74C3-6857-460B-A248-C025DE7CF0CF.jpeg.c7031c51e7048890a180e7320a71ab2c.jpeg

98218ACF-8DEC-4A6E-91A0-54C732DC6151.thumb.jpeg.5a0800abf7a26896d2790303b944f4bd.jpeg

I put the servo cable in some heat shrink, gaffer taped it to the bottom of the servo and tucked it all behind. Moved the receiver down to the chassis. 

0847F86A-AFEF-42D6-BD8D-A01B195041EF.jpeg.d99a5ed1ee562fcde0caf7141b3da5dd.jpeg

The ESC was a bit trickier. The power switch has a bit of an awkward length cable, and there’s not really anywhere for it. I’ve plonked it on top of the servo for now, but I’m not entirely happy with that location. Same goes for the cap pack… the wires are a bit too short for it to go anywhere. Hence it being currently being attached to the battery cable. The motor cables are also a bit too long so I think I’m going to shorten them. 

714BC4CA-87C2-4713-A3A9-2713437D6DCF.jpeg.8f7d30b5f72e5bae0fe77bf27a485a2b.jpeg

DAAD681F-136E-4580-AAB1-E68D87CA791F.jpeg.5aecaa09a6feca933af18011e63f1101.jpeg

I think I’m probably going to find a place for the cap pack on the battery side of the chassis but I’ll need to make the wires longer first. I’ve also got some servo connectors coming so I can shorten the servo and esc receiver cables, rather than just wrapping them up and hiding them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GMballistic said:

I've been modifying a 1/10th scale SWorkz S14-3 buggy that I bought from @mak01 as I am turning it into another speed run RC. Hoping to use it for some of the various battery cell count classes that my other speed run RC's don't fit into. 
Before
78595455_0FromeBayadvert.thumb.jpg.043cc6b0ce998b58e714e6236d97a4d9.jpg

First things I did was to clean and strip the whole buggy down. I've rebuilt the diffs with 100K oil and made a centre spool from the slipper clutch to suit a Mod 1 gear pinion gear. 
I've also rebuilt all the suspension with added limiters inside the shock bodies as well as outside to get the ride height nice n' low. Thicker oil in those too as well as a new set of harder springs on the back. 
1493840476_09Frontdiffrebuilt100KCST.thumb.jpg.20f0100f5b091bf818370d426a69f2c0.jpg

49085565_17Frontshockssetup2KCST.thumb.jpg.6a98a51d02616c60537b3ac53b8927a3.jpg

1256866106_21Spoolfitted.thumb.jpg.e9f8ec7862944779b3298dfaf55535cc.jpg

Pretty pleased with how the builds progressing so far ~ made a carbon fibre rear wing for it too as all my cars run carbon wings that I've made myself. 
As it sits now.
719635386_23Madecarbonwing.thumb.jpg.471f95ac54fdeb15ebfda5b7abf9bc35.jpg

:good:

What sort of speed are you hoping to get out of it 

20 hours ago, windz1000r said:

What sort of speed are you hoping to get out of it 

This one is going to be starting off in the 1 cell class so I'm hoping for over 100mph but we'll have to see how it goes. 

I'm used to higher speeds than that usually but then that's with my 1/8th (6S) scale Typhon buggy and 1/7th (8S) scale Limitless which are imho easier to make go fast.  :good:

• Like 2

A quick strip of the Big Rock to see what broke at the weekend.  One very sad looking input gear!

Have ordered a replacement which appears to have an updated part number.  Hoping the new one is a bit stronger as I don't really think this should have failed from a wheelie!?  Car is totally stock and not even touched the punch settings.

20220802_083242.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, MrCake said:

A quick strip of the Big Rock to see what broke at the weekend.  One very sad looking input gear!

Have ordered a replacement which appears to have an updated part number.  Hoping the new one is a bit stronger as I don't really think this should have failed from a wheelie!?  Car is totally stock and not even touched the punch settings.

20220802_083242.jpg

Yup that looks broken that's for sure 

• Like 1