• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

4 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Managed to make some good progress on getting the kightrunner shell to fit onto the TRX4 over lunch. 

As it stands there is nowhere near enough clearance round the wheels to allow full articulation. I’m going to wait for my smaller class 1 tyres and new wheels  to turn up before I start trimming anything away from them though. 

I really like this shell, and it was only the rear bed split that put me off, I never would clocked the arches being a pain BigGinge 🤬 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

I really like this shell, and it was only the rear bed split that put me off, I never would clocked the arches being a pain BigGinge 🤬 

I have to admit I had assumed it would pretty much just drop on, didn’t suspect it would be as much of a faff as it’s turning out to be. Just have to hope that the new tyres are a decent fit when they arrive and that the colour I’ve picked works out ok. 

Edit:

Forgot to mention but knight customs do have some models for bolt on arches that let you trim away quite a bit of the body without changing the look too much. That is my current back up plan if the class 1 wheels are still a bit tight as I’m not sure how they will size up against the 1.55 general grabbers that come stock on the RTR knightrunner. 

spacer.png

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tug said:

The bash went well, but there were a couple of issues. The Baja kept losing signal, but that did settle after a while. Then it lost a drive pin due to the rubber O-ring perishing, so that ended play with that. 

The DBXL-E ran like a champ, despite throwing a dog-bone, found it and refitted it, carried on. Such a fun rig, handles well, seems tough, looks good. Actually mine doesn't look good at all, no body panels and homemade battery boxes, it's not pretty, but it works. 

Here's my feet, NO SHOES!

2022-04-24_09-56-28

The hex that lost its pin. Turns out the other hex also lost its O-ring, but that pin stayed put. 

2022-04-25_10-03-45

Spare pins ordered, just need new O-rings. Perhaps rubber bands will do?

sounds like you had fun lol 🙂

13 hours ago, Shergar said:

They are narrow! I see the clipless mount hole, I’ve been thinking I might do that, I can live with two proud allen heads where the mount would bolt to the shell.

Yep, the 8080X parts come with the mounting points for the new clip system used on the 2021 bronco model  (as opposed to the 8080 ones which are narrow but don't have the clip points). I was thinking about trying to use the new clips to mount this shell, as Francis on RC Review has done here, but this would lift the body up more than I'd like so I've given up on using it for now. It does look promising for future use though and I might see if I can get it to fit on the prairie wolf body at some point as that is using a bit of a random mounting method at the moment.

edit: I did find the body post mounts for the TRX4 sport shell which look like they have a low enough stack height for me to use on the rear of the knightrunner body, just a shame this will be my third separate parts order for this build this week as the postage costs are starting to add up. 😢

spacer.png

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 3

Update (different day so excuse the technical double post)

Today, I got it running after 10 minutes of pull start madness and several loosening and tightening of the glow plug, blowing the fuel into the chamber etc.

But it revved like a dragster, wouldn't idle, so I thought it was just too lean. Then I noticed the spray of fuel around the engine and it looks like the gasket in the K4.6 has died (it has been sitting for 10 or more years)

On the plus side, I know it still works! YAY! 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 26/04/2022 at 15:20, .AJ. said:

Rebuilt a Summit diff, added a alloy case, Acer bearings and machined steel internals at the same time 👍 

03692864-F418-4-EFB-979-A-7-C5-B76534-EB

Just finished the rear diff, I didnt bother taking any pics because it looks exactly the same as the front 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2