• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

D.I.Y Nitro Porting followed by a bang........

kingscott

I thought id have a go at DIY porting on a Nitro engine after looking at many many threads and guides on the subject.

Soooo, I had an old Kyosho GX.21 engine kicking about that I don't use anymore, it was a perfectly good engine but I was willing to take the risk of hurting it.

I'm quite good with my hands and so forth so I god out the dremel and started to grind and polish on the engines sleeve. basically following the guide below:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm

I spent about 3 hours to complete the work and it looked fantastic, I fitted the sleeve back into the block and built it back up and stuck it into the Inferno for a test run.

I fired up the engine and I was completely amazed at the results, the engine was so crisp, sounded mint and the pick up was insane, its was a totally different engine and went like a cat with mustard on its hoop!!!! faster than my current kyosho GXR28 engine by far, I was soooo happy with my DIY porting Job :)

.............................................Then it went bang,

It ate itself, the piston disintegrated, spat bits into the bottom end so the crank bearing destroyed itself and brand new OS glow plug was down the drain. The only part of the engine that is salvageable is literally the carb. What was left of the piston has made a great Key ring tho!

So the morel of the story is, if you have a spare engine you can afford to kill then by all means have a little go, its great fun and it might just work.

But for the love of god don't have a go on your only engine if you cant afford a new one!!!

...........................................................................Leave it to the experts :)

• Like 1

Any pictures? Was thinking if doing this on my spare engine. Maybe not after reading this ;)

Edited by Ruhel

Do you think you weakened the liner by taking off too much material? Thus leading to it fragmenting under pressure?

• Like 1

I've ported a nitro engine myself, but not before I sought a lot of advice from people that had already done it.

The key to porting nitro engines is knowing what each engine individually needs to get the best from it, some will need fairly radical work whereas some only need mild work.

All of them respond to the same tricks but knowing just how far to go with the particular engine you own comes down to experience etc and no guide will tell you that.

Generally RTR engines respond better to this kind of work, the manufacturers dont tend to go too wild with the timing and porting as they dont want the engine to blow up as soon as you run it for the first time out of the box so they need to be tuned more for reliability rather than balls out power.

Racing engines will respond less to this kind of work as most of it is done at the factory, they are designed to give power first and reliability second.

been down this road myself.

went for the diy that looks right option.

result was 7 engine being totaled before getting the hang of it, if i have to get nitro i would be buying cheap engine and porting them, albeit not as extreme as i would like just to avoid more broken bits lol

A Testament that you really should leave this kind of work to people that know what they are doing :) i have been porting and polishing nitro engines for many years now not quite sure how you managed to totlay kill it but sorry to hear it failed on you :(

time to call someone in the know :)

Do you think you weakened the liner by taking off too much material? Thus leading to it fragmenting under pressure?

Yes I think I went a little too thin close to the ports, this material distintigrated and choped up the side of the piston, the material then all traveled down to the bottom end and mashed the crank bearing.

Least thats what it looked like to me.

Sorry no pictures its all in RC heaven now.

What sort of prices is it to get engines worked??

A Testament that you really should leave this kind of work to people that know what they are doing :) i have been porting and polishing nitro engines for many years now not quite sure how you managed to totlay kill it but sorry to hear it failed on you :(

time to call someone in the know :)

What prices are we looking at please?

Thanks

well done you. The thing is bmaster. How many engines did you destroy before getting it spot on all the time? How many bits on our cars do we break untill we master huge air? How many bones did i break to get good at enduro? people have to start somewhere. And he's not gone balls in and chewed things up. He's succeeded if only for a while. If he can figure out where he went wrong he can only improve. I'm not a fan of the leave it to the experts saying. I say give it a go. You never know. Safety and common sense must be used though lol

@ Teaman in the years i have been porting engines for myself and friends i have not had a engine fail on me premature from the porting procedure when i first started porting about 8 years ago i used to pratice on damaged engines and i also had alot of help ad advice from a big name in the porting industry at the time so i was lucky on that aspect

i am not putting the guy down for trying if you dont try these things you will not know if its something viable for you also when porting you really should make minor changes when first starting out so you know how much diffrance each stage of the porting procedure

props for trying just a shame it died on you :(

If we all left it to the experts, in time the experts would go / die out then where would we be?

There's only one way to learn something and that's to try it either by being shown or just guessing.

Sounds like he was on the right path but went to far down it lol,

Respect for trying though!

I don't get the haters? Tried something, it didn't work, learn for next time.

It's not like he offered this as a paid service or anything.

Key is, as has been said, little increments so that a) you understand the effects and b ) it don't go boom

(Oh wait - too late! :whistling: )

Edited by Smoothybb

Wow, hey I didnt even take it that way guys! It's all good :)

It was worth it for the few mins of epic "whamp whamp whhhhhhaaaa......Pop"

I think ill go down the line of offering a pro drag racing rc nitro engine porting service, extreme porting and ultimate results with zero reliability and a one run required rebuild!! just like the real thing! ha ha

"if it runs for more than 10 seconds you ant ported it hard enough"

What you think? :D

haha d.i.y at its best if you ask me sounds like it was worth it for the first part of it changing the ports it could have just been than little to much for it as it was one of your old engines just probably wasn't up to the pressure. Like putting nitros in a mini engine lol sounds brill though also sounds like one of those moments where you wished you had someone with the video camera out.

Wow, hey I didnt even take it that way guys! It's all good :)

It was worth it for the few mins of epic "whamp whamp whhhhhhaaaa......Pop"

I think ill go down the line of offering a pro drag racing rc nitro engine porting service, extreme porting and ultimate results with zero reliability and a one run required rebuild!! just like the real thing! ha ha

"if it runs for more than 10 seconds you ant ported it hard enough"

What you think? :D

So, how much and how quick can you get me a drag engine?

Will it last for an entire speed run or will i need to change the engine mid-way through the run :omgblinky: