• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*Losi LST & XXL Owners Club*

dtokez

7 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

This may help:

xqTbTCy.jpg

Yeah, it weighs a ton, close to 10 kg tbh, but with 6S through an XL2 to a 1717 it still moves!!

Al.

Nice! That looks a nice layout! 

So are they the xxle battery holders? 

What did you mount them on?

So which battery holders do you have? 

I think I might struggle a bit as I got the new era roll bar as well! 

Might have to buy most things then just play with the layout till I'm happy then try make something to fit. 

Will have to do a little more research into the motor combo... Don't want to be too hasty and get the wrong one! 

It all ends up being a bit 'custom' to be honest!

I found out very quickly once I'd got the tallest Losi gearing hooked up with that gear, motor / ESC were fine but I couldn't steer - front wheels were in the air in a nanosecond - useless so I transferred weight to the front.

Put TOO MUCH weight to the front of course and handling goes pear shaped - ploughing wide in corners.

Al.

• Like 1

Yeah, every conversion is different! 

Not sure I would go with 6S... But never say never!! 

At the moment the plan is to go 4S.. So would a higher kvmotor be better like the one shown above? What's the benefit off a 1717 over a 2000kv can? 

Sorry just a little new to all the brushless stuff! 

6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

This is a useful site:

http://www.tdracingrc.com/TD Product Line.htm

Al.

That's the first place I looked for the mount... However not sure on the availability now due to the message at the top of the site. Also none in stock, will message him and see as that is THE mount to get! 

Yahoo i did not realise the stock esc also has full power limiter on the castle tuning thing, 80% full power on 5s should save me having to buy more 4s batteries, here's the shell i have on mine painted in metalic blue which kind of looks like a old big foot truck https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-1979-ford-f-150-supercab-body/rc-car-products/363682 not as tough as lst shells but looks great

3 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

What bolt size would be best to go for? m3 or m4? Or are the same mount... Just different bolt ? 

Don't quote me ... but I think I got both - just in case - give a bit of flexibility.

It's a few years ago - I've slept (a lot) since then as a colleague says - but I think most smaller to medium-sized motors use M3 .. someone else will confirm / correct I'm sure.

Specific websites will confirm the thread required.

Looking at my own photo I would say M4. This thread implies M4 for the 1717 as well.

https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23891&page=27

The HUGE Toro motor in my X-Maxx uses M4.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

I like the look of that! Looks clean and simple!! 

Did you make that mount yourself? 

I might copy that layout.

Looks a lot more balanced with the single battery! 

Yes, the mount was my own doing from a piece of 1/4" angle.

The truck runs so much better with the weight up front, all the power goes straight to the ground and not up in the air.

Let me know what parts/components you might be interested in and I'll tell you where I sourced them.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn
  • Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 08:02, Tommygunn said:

Here's what I bought to electrify my LST2:

Hobbywing 150A WP-8PL150 £55.41 (Aliexpress)

Hobbywing Programming Card £5.45 (Ali)

Motor (GoolRC 4076 2000Kv) £27.33 (Ali)

Losi Single Speed Hub £22.03 (Ebay)

Pinion Gear x3 £17.50 (Ebay)

Zippy 5800MAh 4s x2 £78.26 (Hobbyking)

XT150 plugs £5.44 (Hobbyking)

Bar stock for homemade motor mount £10.00

Total: £221.42 plus some for HobbyKing postage.

Tom.

Can you send us the link the pinions that are compatible and which batteries you have chosen?

I almost bought a set of batteries... But they were only available in Hong Kong :(

I'm going to be stripping my losi over the next week or so just to get an idea of space available and dimensions. 

How does the spur gear hold up to the abuse of the brushless motor?

My TiNi spur's been fine, 'though I've not used it much lately.

Over the years its been the #1 choice vehicle - moreso when it was nitro tbh - loved the noise, but not the hassle.

Pinions are typically 5 mm shaft, Mod 1 I believe.

Al.

Can you send us the link the pinions that are compatible and which batteries you have chosen?

They are GDS Racing Pro Mod 1 pinions from the Ebay seller 'okey100c'. I bought 24,25 and 26T pinions.

The batts are Zippy, 4S, 5800MAh packs (9067000064-0), currently available from the UK warehouse.

Yes, I'm using the stock Spur gear and it is absolutely fine with no discernible or abnormal wear. I do, however, have a spare just in case.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn

Vimto,

Concerning your message about the motor mount and battery tray I'll get the info you require and post it here for all.

However, give me a mo as I've got work today and the absolute road chaos caused by having the Moto GP right outside my front door! Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Took me 65 minutes, this morning, to get back home when it normally takes less than 10.

Tom.

No rush Tom, 

It will take me a while to get the ball rolling on this! Plus I need to raise the "funds" so it looks like this is all free to the Mrs!

Also looking on the mounts on ebay..someone posted an image and diagrams of the mount.

Should make it easier to explain to the engineering dept what I need rather than bringing the whole truck in!

Edited by vimto2000

Just found this site which will give me close enough dimensions for the mount. 

https://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-by-material/aluminium/aluminium-equal-angle

Just will need to cut out and trim it down. 

What's the rough height and length  of the mount? 

Thanks all! 

For another source, I ordered mine from forwardmetals.co.uk with this spec: 'Aluminium angle 2" x 2" x 1/4" @ 250mm (Custom cuts 50mm x 2 + offcut)'.

Total: £10.92 inc p+p.

That was postage to Italy so should be cheaper within Blighty.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn