• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 TQ .28 connecting rod failure

RCN

Ok guys om not sure who remembers m other thread that got lost recently but I finally got the buggy and took the whole day to break it in. I still had it tuned rich and me and m buddy decided to run in an open field with short grass. The width of this field is about 100 feet max with a dip in the middle. Well I went from one side of the field towards me through the dip slacking off as it came out of it and then I got back on it and as it passed me it began to die down and flame out. This whole issue took place in about 70 feet total at about 3/4 throttle. I walked over to it and went to pull the pull cord and it wouldn't budge. I let it cool down only to notice the flywheel would move a little. Pulled the plug and the piston was stuck all the way down. Got home took it apart and found my worst fear on an engine with about 2/3 of a gallon through it. My pictures are too big to upload so I will try resizing them

It was brand new. When I slowed down after it passed me to turnturn, the engine slowed down as I let off the gas and then all this happened. The glow plug was full of metal and theres metal everywhere. I could barely get the cylinder out lol

I'll know more tomorrow though hopefully. Any recommendations on a different brand engine for this buggy? I've looked into go engines, nova, basically most of the major names. 

Oh and what's the difference between a BB exhaust port and a SB exhaust port and header/ manifold? I've seen that come up a few times. And I'm probably gonna get a better pipe with the new/ better engine if I go that route.

I personally  would go and take it back/send them pics . .. . and see what they say.  there's no way  this should happen on a brand new  engine imo. .  if no joy there  then look for  the  .21 3 port hyper  engine.. .there much better then the .28 mac star ones  .   .  or I'm sure sum one will suggest  a good one.  .I'm  not up on me nitro engines tbh. . but if they replace it ask for a  .21 3 port one instead. ..  .

I'm happy with the performance this engine had but if this is a possible problem then I'd be more inclined to go with a better engine. What makes the 3 port .21 so good? I'm not set on any engine in particular but I want one that has a good amount of torque with a decent amount of power for instant response (I know a lot of that has to do with the pipe too) could the fuel I'm using have anything to do with this? 

And as far as sending it back and taking pics I've contacted both the dealer (purchased online) and ofna to see what can be done. The rest of the buggy minus the clutch bell bearings has been outstanding. Upon disassembly I found the outer bell bearing had slop in it. Just enough to let the bell rub the flywheel and leave a black mark.

The  .21 engine  holds a better tune  for longer  and is better on fuel and as quik if not quiker in the hyper. . ..it's the one everyone tells  everyone to go for over the .28 mac...I ran mine on either 20 or 25% with  no issues.  .and I ragged  the crap outa it..lol.... it was 5 tanks old when I bought it so was basically  brand new. .....I do miss the screaming  engine  though . ...

Edited by evssv

I would like some better pictures and some more information.

I can see you use PhotoBucket....upload an image to there and then you can select "share" in the top right of a picture...then copy the "img" link and put that in your post.

Pictures of the top of the piston would help....information such as fuel used and needle settings will be very useful.

People often say that the Hyper.21 is "better" than the Macstar.28....but they are both very similar....they both use the same crank/bearings/rod/carb/backplate...and it is essentially the same crankcase with a larger hole for the larger bore....the .28 has a little more torque and the .21 has a little more max rpm....not all that much in it tbh.

The rod on the Hyper engine is pretty decent...but any engine will fail if it is ran too lean or without sufficient oil at high rpm.....note I have never broken a rod on either the .21 or .28 but inevitably they will wear over time.

The cylinder is damage free but looking at the intake port, metal got pushed out of the intake and sucked back in and scored the surface right there and I'm still missing a piece of the piston skirt. The dealer offered to give me a refund or a replacement also. 

From those pictures of the top of the piston I do not think it was running lean...and your needle settings are more or less ok....

I have no personal experience with the Traxxas fuel and only know what I have read...it is quite oil rich...not a fuel I would use but I would not expect that to be a cause of your failure...

If the dealer is offering options then take them......maybe you just had a "Friday afternoon" engine and Mr. Machiner was about to clock off...maybe the oil port/s on the rod were blocked....maybe the piston/sleeve were out of tolerance and there was too much piston rock...

Well guys its not much of an update but I boxed the buggy back up today and its on its way back to the hobby shop. I wish the local shop had this kind of service haha they can't even give me one answer on a fuel that they're a dealer for! One guy told me that they couldn't get it at all and then another guy told me that it could be ordered. Either way I'm excited and nervous at the same time. 

I have a question that I thought I knew the answer to and since then have confused myself and instead of starting a new thread I'll just keep all my stuff on this one for now. 

The .28 comes with an "N4" glow plug standard. I've read on some places that its a "super hot" (and yet there is an N3 plug) and then on other places I've read its a medium heat range plug. Between the N3 and the N4 which would be the more appropriate plug? And what other brands would be best for me to switch to? The local hobby shop wants almost $9 for the McCoy plugs and only $7 for the LC3 and 4. The OS #8 is in between at around $8. I see traxxas has their own plugs, the ones I looked at were the 3232x. I can't remember the heat range. There's just too many companies with so many glow plugs haha. I'd like to stick with a long reach plug though. Its heading into cooler weather here (next month temps are going to start falling more) but for now we'll have a really comfortable day in I'd say the upper 60's and then the next day its chilly and windy. Then the day after that its raining. With the wild weather would I be better off with the N4 or equivalent glow plugs or would it be a good idea to go to the one of thethe other plugs? If so which one? And yes anthoop I know I'm asking questions all over again from my thread that you helped me with originally but it got lost with the server failure and I can't for the life of me remember what all was said. Also after searching I can get a good deal on 6 of the N3 glow plugs for about $16 so I believe that averages out to about $3 per plug. I will keep looking for a group of N4 plugs.

Also at the hobby shop he carries traxxas fuels and blue thunder. I have half a gallon left of traxxas. Should I switch to blue thunder in your opinion? (I'm still reading up about it).

There is also a few other hobby shops about 45 minutes away from me that I could check into for fuel but I'd like to stick to the closer shop if possible due to gas mileage. That $30 gallon of nitro fuel will turn into a $50-$60 gallon after I factor in gas burnt there and back.

Edited by RCN

I'm starting to get annoyed with the fact that I can't find certain information that I could easily find a few weeks ago. The jl .28 is a long plug type engine isn't it? I see an OS #8 and an LC4 side by side and there's a major difference in length. And looking at the N3 plugs I have here they look like they're short plugs. If its supposed to be a long reach plug then why would they send out a buggy with a short plug? Production costs? This is the most confusing thing I've ever had to pick out something on as nowhere online has specifics. Also should I be running a hot plug or a medium to cold plug? Obviously I'm running 20% traxxas and run a lot. I don't want to buy a plugplug(s) and not actually need to. 

The measurements...remove washer and measure from the seating area to the base...

OS8- 4.5mm

McCoy MC-8- 5.5mm

Both measurements are approximate but pretty close.

The biggest problem RCN is that you are of course in a different country....and what is widely available to us may not be to you and vice versa...

I have used McCoy MC8 and 9...OS 8 and other plugs in the Macstar.28....but there are many glow plug makers that use "N4" as a denotation...never tried the OS LC range.

Glow plugs and how they are labelled/numbered can be very misleading....(1/1 car spark plugs have charts where there are equivalents...eg an NGK has a Bosch equivalent...we have no such luxury)....if you wanted a term for the plug you need then it would  be medium->medium/cold....but again a description is not very helpful....the best advice I can give is just to buy one plug and try it before buying a joblot...again if you were in the UK then I can definitely tell you that the OS8 is the dependable plug...and something like a MC8-9 will give you a little more performance.

Fuel...again as you are in a different country....I have never used either Traxxas or Blue Thunder...I can only repeat what I have read which is not always accurate...

One thing I will say is that 25 or 30% nitro content will give you far more performance change than the difference between say the OS8 and a MC8-9.

Oh and I did not remember the thread that has been lost....but glow plugs are a pretty common thread...again because of how they are labelled and numbered....just another thing in the RC world that could be standardised to ease understanding. :)

Edited by Anthoop

The thread length on these HSP N3 plugs is 3/8 inch or 9.525mm without the sealing ring. That seems really long to me. In the manual for the hyper is says B3 and B4 glow plugs are recommended but I can't find any "B" glow plugs anywhere online. Are the plugs I already have a long reach plug? If so I'm going to get either the lc plugs or the McCoy plugs depending on what the hippy shop stocks more of. I'm going to get 2 of each plugplug (hot and medium) and just break the engine in on the plug that comes with the buggy and this N3 that I already have. It still glows super bright. I'm probably getting the replacement next week seeing as the buggy was being sent back via the postal service. 

plug wise, go and grab say 10 Mccoy MC-59, you will not go wrong with them in the .28 star motor 

DO NOT use an OS8 or a OS A3 , they will run in the engine but they motors are known for not liking os8 plugs much and do cause problems starting an running, the A3 is a cold plug but it will work at a push again lotta struggling with these two plugs. where as the MC-59 is just bang on for what your gonna want from that .28 

i ran os8's in my .21 eb4 buggy and it was a dogend , but soon as i dumped that old plug and shove a mccoy in , it would start on each yank o the cord and not require somuch of a detune-retune 

Mc-59's are really expensive here where I'm at. I'll dig around online and see what I can find deal wise but honestly I want to figure out what glow plugs I'm going to be running and have them on order. I don't have a lot of money to just throw at glow plugs in hopes that they will work for me. I see a lot of people saying that such and such plug works great for me but I never see anything to back that up. I don't see a previous history of what they've used and done to their engine. Or even what the weathers like when they used said plug. I'm looking at the R5 plugs mainly because I'm running a higher nitro content and I'm running the engine hard. And from my research a cold plug will do me better. I need someone that has a good understanding of the whole glow plug situation and can answer my specific questions. Its just like I've seen some people say that OS plugs are crap and that enya plugs are the best ever and then I've seen the exact opposite. I'm not looking for a use this plug and you'll be golden answer I'm looking for a place to start that makes sense to me without having to buy tons of different plugs. And not knowing the manufacturer of the stock plug in the jl .28 makes things even stranger because I can't find out if its a hot medium or cold plug. Its not like we can hook these engines up to a timing light to see what's going on to some degree. And the thing that annoys me the most is that there isn't one single standard thing between all of the plugs out there except that they're a coil of wire in a metal housing. Yes its starting to frustrate me seeing as no matter what I type in I can never find a specific answer to what I would deem a simple question :/