• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya truck is it for me?

gti power

So as some of you will know last year i started a scx-10 Defender build, i always liked the detail etc that i had seen on them and soon got sucked in to building one, little to my intensions costing a small fortune in terms of what id expexted.

Now i always like the Tamiya trucks but was put of with the costs until i realised my 90 build was not a million miles of costing similar money. At the moment i now have a CC-01 im looking to do a Mitsubishi scale replica too and a M-05 im wanting to do a Mini Cooper build on so once completed im considering getting a Tamiya truck possibly a Scania.

Compared to my Axial i feel the Tamiya stuff is cheap and not as well built and im wondering how the trucks fair up in terms of build quaility, im guesing Tamiya are the only ones who make scale trucks?

I have been looking around online and noticed a few very good deals at the moment on the Tamiya kits and im very tempetd to purchase even though im not really wanting to build yet im concerned if/when the time comes prices will be up again?

I haven't yet decided on which kit initially i wanted a wester style truck but the missus likes the Scania so that maybe easier to persuade her with ;) .Normally i enjoy painting etc but i have been looking at the limited edition orange Scania R470 which comes pre painted but im also temped with the R620 which is a 6x4.Im curios to knowif anyone reccomends one kit over another and why as its all very new to me, i did look at second hand however they seem to hold there value and i think it takes the fun out of the build personally.

Any advise would be great thaks.

Verkerk modelbau are doing a volvo fh16 800€ i believe. 

Wedico also sell scale trucks however costs are off the scale i have done an r620 and r470 

My r620 is staying put however i sold the r470 for reasonable £££ before my misses allowed me to buy an r620. I have added led lights so far and will add v8 power at some point expect to sink 500+ on truck and trailer with a basic led system.

Expect 600+ with mfc. 

I have just bought an scx10 and will be building once recieved missing parts.

6x4 my lhs did me 205 on the r470. 

I prefer the looks of the 6x4 + i wanted a tri drive anyway which i still havent got around to so suited me more dont have to buy 2 axles. + a 6x4 can carry more weight as its spread across 2 axles rather than 1. It pulls my 1 year old easily lol 

what about using tamiya's truck axles and front steering unit and your own crafted ladder chassis, just pop to your local hobby store grab some u channel alloy  and away you go. a tub of nuts n bolts and a half sheet of alloy just incase you need to cut any spare parts rest blocks etc etc.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

I think I have narrowed it down to the R470 orange edition, although a pre painted body takes the fun out of it I do really like it.

What's the build quality and detailing like on the trucks as tamiya seem a bit bland on there other stuff?

£205 is a good price best I can get so far is £250.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

build quality is great apart from the Philips hardware and detail is great to iv had 2 tamiya trucks and 1 copy and that was just like building a tamiya one I don't think you will be disappointed if you get one 

Whats the Philips hardware mate? Sorry I'm still new to the hobby.

I'm just concerned about the cost of the build, I've seen the kit for £250 but then I'll want lights etc not to mention the radio equipment, I was going to use my cc-01 stuff although I know it's not ideal.

Lights do not have to be all bells and whistles, you can wire a simple  lighting loom to the front and rear main lights and run them from your handset switch to toggle on and off.

side skirt lights and trailer safety light runners, these can be seperate wired and left on most of the time running of its own little battery pack tucked away. 

detail comes from the many hour spent adding little bits and making up the most prefect livery , stowbart , ikea , Dhl etc etc something that people already know will draw attention right away.

• Like 1

Orange editions are thin on the ground. Fusion hobbies ? 10% off for doing things like liking fb pages etc

I know where there is one in stock however I just can't justify it at the moment, I have asked if they will give 10% due to the membership on the forum but they won't.

May get one and put it away until Christmas see what money I get given :-) will I be better buying stuff straight away or just get the kit?

I would suggest purchasing the electrics at the same time as the truck (or don't build it until you have everything). The 3 speed gearbox is snug and requires setting up , so it's better to build it all together with the motor and servo for gear change etc. I would go for the 45T-60T motor just for the extra torque and realism.

As for the radio it doesn't need to be fancy - i've used these in the past. Just make sure you purchase a mode 2 transmitter (the throttle on the left is for surface cars) and mode 1 is for planes...

You will also need a shift gate for accurate gear change to avoid the gears grinding - this should squeeze on or you can make one from strong plastic...

Ps: Empty your inbox bud,i tried to message and it doesn't allow me :huh:

I know where there is one in stock however I just can't justify it at the moment, I have asked if they will give 10% due to the membership on the forum but they won't.

google few fb pages do i also.

I would suggest purchasing the electrics at the same time as the truck (or don't build it until you have everything). The 3 speed gearbox is snug and requires setting up , so it's better to build it all together with the motor and servo for gear change etc. I would go for the 45T-60T motor just for the extra torque and realism.

As for the radio it doesn't need to be fancy - i've used these in the past. Just make sure you purchase a mode 2 transmitter (the throttle on the left is for surface cars) and mode 1 is for planes...

You will also need a shift gate for accurate gear change to avoid the gears grinding - this should squeeze on or you can make one from strong plastic...

Ps: Empty your inbox bud,i tried to message and it doesn't allow me :huh:

I have emptied it now mate [emoji6]

I have a 10% voucher code now but I think I may hold out until Xmas and see if any good deals come up.

I have been looking at the radio gear from fusion hobbies for £180 they say "the 6 channel deal is all the radio gear you will require, the very standard radio gear you need is the deal with the ESC included:- http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/6-channel-electric-fast-charge-deal-with-teu-302bk-esc

In all honesty the deal is only good if you need batterys and a charger. Even then they are entry level for what you're paying bud

I personally would buy the radio (Turnigy one for £20 or the Carson 6 channel for £79 or consider the 6 channel spektrum),along with a standard Tamiya ESC for £15-20 then you just need a 9-12kg servo. It shouldn't be anymore than £140 anyway...

:good:

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/56323-tamiya-scania-r620-6x4-highline

269.00-26.90=242.10 6x4 free pp 

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/56318-tamiya-scania-r470-highline 239.00-23.90=215.10. 4x2 With free postage.

Doubt youll get cheaper than that buddy.