• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1st heli 450 Size, PLEASE HELP! WHICH SERVOS? + ELECTRICS?

SO I have had a go with the mcpx & it was to erratic in the wrong directions so for now have put it down until I can configure & understand the basic settings of the dx6i & the mcpx aswell.

BUT I have received My SIM, & have been giving that a go today... Does get a bit boring mind you...

However I now understand How setup is more important then how you fly...

mcpx hovers pretty well even it mechanical setup is off (heck my tail almost went off in flight and I was able to gently land it)

If it's the brushed version, it needs a longer tail and a beefier tail motor

On the remote (you do use a programable one, right? the stock is a no-no) set aileron and elevator endpoints (d/r) to 80% and expo to 20%, this makes it much easier to control

• Like 1

mcpx hovers pretty well even it mechanical setup is off (heck my tail almost went off in flight and I was able to gently land it)

If it's the brushed version, it needs a longer tail and a beefier tail motor

On the remote (you do use a programable one, right? the stock is a no-no) set aileron and elevator endpoints (d/r) to 80% and expo to 20%, this makes it much easier to control

dx6i Programmable it is, & still getting used to the workings of it in all honesty...

I shall try & dial in Those settings tomorrow...

yeah buddy MCPX and the dx6i are perfect. what need to be done is some simple settings on the handset

so its a little more tame like a tabby cat and not a wild bobcat. 

watch this video buddy the top left switch on the handset should is used for mode flip 0 to 1 

set up your handset just like this fellow but always have your mode switch to 0  and not on. 

0 setting mode means the heli is more easy to fly its less twitchy and you can not worry to much about being heavy handed with the sticks. 

1 setting mode means the heli is in a stunt mode its going to be a lot more twitchy and agressive in any movement with sticks.

so learn with mode 0 first then flip to mode 1 sometimes to start to learn to control the heli when its been unleashed a little bit more.

• Like 1

yeah buddy MCPX and the dx6i are perfect. what need to be done is some simple settings on the handset

so its a little more tame like a tabby cat and not a wild bobcat. 

watch this video buddy the top left switch on the handset should is used for mode flip 0 to 1 

set up your handset just like this fellow but always have your mode switch to 0  and not on. 

0 setting mode means the heli is more easy to fly its less twitchy and you can not worry to much about being heavy handed with the sticks. 

1 setting mode means the heli is in a stunt mode its going to be a lot more twitchy and agressive in any movement with sticks.

so learn with mode 0 first then flip to mode 1 sometimes to start to learn to control the heli when its been unleashed a little bit more.

You Mr. Just answered all my concerns without me even asking for help in the direction off....

on the sim it seem to be mixing some channel somehow. 

& am sure it was doing it with the mcpx too....

That was making it un-flyable...

yeah its a pain. 

and your welcome, the setup is a nice place to start top left shoulder switch make sure this is in the 0 position 

now look to the right of that switch on the front above the right hand stick, see that little button , says throttle cut.

if we press and hold that the throttle will shut down to zero, it stops the blades spinning and helps cut damage,

but try not to use it to much, just ease the left stick down wards a little (to go down - and upwards to climb )

in settings you can assign stunt mode, its usually one of the top shoulder switches ( am sure its the left gear switch)

so have a try with that see if heli is nasty on 0 mode, then if it is land and flick the gear switch to on (1 = on)

see how the heli behaves then.  ALL you other switch should be in the 0 postition. so those two on the front above left stick

switch them to 0 , the one on the right front beside throttle cut, flick that to 0, the two above that on right shoulder they should all be at 0.

leave all these alone ok do not mess with them yet ( yes later you can play with dual rates )

The mcpx does what we call a spool up and hold. it will start to spin the blades faster and faster until a certain speed is reached

the the motor stays at that speed all the time ( spooled up ) yes this is what it should do you will NOT control the throttle only the air made by the blades) 

now the left stick up and down, this is kinda clever when you move it the heli's blades tilt at an angle , pushing up angles the blades upwards

and they force more air below so you get lift.

pushing that same stick downwards now starts to angle the blades down and the air is now being force upwards, the heli will come down very fast

so you have to go easy and gentley feed this in, both up and down needs to be smooth and not jerky stabs ( its not a throttle no more its like a second steering )

so that left stick that controls the up and down of the heli , there is no need to worry about the throttle you control the power with that up and down left stick ( more air blown down or less )

in the sim play with these sticks and learn what each one does and how you can use them with each other.

in real life just go easy and remember you have throttle cut if things get very bad just hold that button to kill the motor ok.

Trust me we we say practice makes a better pilot, the more you fly the better you become with those sticks

and more confidence in yourself to control the heli. dont let you mates egg you on into making mistakes ignore them your the pilot and its your pocket that repairs it ;)

took me three goes to nail an inverted hover, picth backwards up high and as the heli come over to upside down pull the left stick down and level out your pitch on the right

do this fairly quickly a couple seconds, and remember as it come over the top pull left stick down and right stick to center. you will either loop the loop of nearly catch a invert

try this in the sim, its a hard trick to do for a newcomer but once you work out how the sticks work it will be a air fist punch moment

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just sticking my head in to see how you are getting on :)

Managed to fly the 250 for all 4 cells in the back garden without any disasters - had to tweak the flight controller to rid it of shakes and nodding

Then yesterday I took it to a nice big field and by the 3rd cell of gently hovering and drifting about and "walking the dog" to get a proper feel I plucked up the bottle to pirouette it a few times which went VERY well but needs the tail gain reducing a few points more as it was bouncing a little rather than snapping to a stop

Unfortunately the flight was caught short when I /think/ the elevator servo stripped its plasic gears mid air (certainly something caused it to suddenly nosedive into the ground)

Snapped the feathering shaft very cleanly, carbon blades got ejected some considerable distance- they were grass/mud stained but seem undamaged,

Swash links were never found. Carbon tailboom sheared very cleanly at the body mount ...cleaner than if I had tried to cut them with a dremel..., belt is missing a few teeth...but beyond that - tail seems fine, mainshaft and gears all straight and true still despite the massive clump of grass it has wound round it - gears have all their teeth and nothing else seemed damaged (apart from a servo with many missing teeth when I dissected it!)

New complete swash set of digital (metal geared this time) servo's and new complete flybarless head ordered, hopefully here for weekend

Already have spare booms and feathering shafts and belts so its worked out a pretty cheap crash considering (as long as I don't discover more!)

I am still amazed at how composed and stable the 250 is even with a little wind compared to the mCPx and HCP80

the Tarot ZYX-S2 flight controller is a good bit of kit for sure

I managed a good few seconds of completely hands free and it just sat there, waiting for input!

Properly looking forward to getting it back in the air...not so much the setting it all up again

Cyclic servos I went for are EMAX ES08MD

I was running the plastic geared EMAX ES08DE

They seemed fine up till the point the Elevator servo lost teeth

I got them second hand and I personally crashed the heli at least 2 or 3 times - don't know how many times the previous owner did the same 

The plastic toothed ones are OK for the money, hoping the metal geared ones are even better - will report back

Regards

Rob

Edited by robocog