• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao's new nitro and electric Hyper VS RTR buggies

53HRA

HoBao's upcoming new 1/8 buggy, Hyper VS, is at the final production stage and will be available at various distributors very soon.

The new Hyper VS is very easy to drive, very stable with great cornering control. The buggy is manufactured with high quality material with excellent fit and finish. Further more, there will be lots of option parts for you to soup-up your Hyper VS for the real race!

Both nitro and electric versions are available.

Features (Nitro):

• 2.4GHz radio system
  • Hyper 21 / Mac 28 / Hyper 30 engine options (depending on distributors)
  • Heavy duty throttle and steering servos
  • New painted body design
  • New chassis design
  • New rigid front (4mm) and rear (3mm) shock towers
  • New strengthened front and rear suspension arms
  • New extra battery compartment for Lipo battery
  • Enclosed radio box 
  • 125cc gas tank
  • 17mm big bore threaded shocks (4mm shaft)
  • Rear mud guards
  • Full ball bearings
  • New C-Hub design
  • Front universals
  • Hard anodized aluminum parts throughout the car
  • Polished tuned pipe
  • Dual stage air filter assembly
  • Front and rear sway bars

Features (electric):

• Hobbywing 100amp high performance water proof brushless system
  • Large battery tray with three velcro straps
  • Enclosed radio box

gallery_4895_8_117273.jpg

More pictures to follow. Source: Liverc :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Why are they spamming out new un-remarkable buggy after new un-remarkable buggy when they have not yet released a bashing oriented, durability focused, possibly waterproof (I'd reccomend it)  RTR Electric version of their Legendary Hyper 7 sport/stunt-basher yet?

If someone is looking to race 1/8 buggy they are best served going with a race proven Losi/Mugen/Kyosho/Associated ect...

If someone is looking to bash/stunt 1/8 buggy Hyper 7 has always been the reliable number one choice that I've always been able to reccomend without worry,  Cheap, Proven and Durable,  Spare parts support has always been the best and cheapest in the UK on the ebay chopshops.

If they keep forgetting about the Hyper 7,  they may well loose that as the number 1 recommended bashing stunt buggy,  and what do they have then?    A few lack luster race oriented kits that most would reccomend a Losi/Mugen/Kyosho over anyway...

And a mish mash of new unproven un-remarkable entry level buggies that don't stand out from the crowd for any reason,  and would recomend a Hong nor or caster or any other entry level buggy equally for bashing anyway...

Nitro isn't always the best thing to reccomend to the newbies (though,  depends on the newbie), and converting a nitro RC to electric has always been a bit of a faff,  and a little intimidating to someone starting with their first car just for bashing and sport,  so it has always been a little harder to reccomend an electric Hyper 7 to newbies starting out....   So Hpi firestorm usually wins out.

But If they released a Hyper 7-E in RTR and kit or roller form it would then be a no-brainer to reccomend to the newbies....

Are Hobao even reading on forums about what we are wanting from an entry level Hyper?

If they did make a Hyper 7-E I would reccomend they keep in mind it's main purpose would be bashing,  with just the possibility of entry level racing for bashers to "Dip their toes in the water"  or so to speak to see if they like racing.

The higher front end wall of the Hyper SS battery tray is great,  more surface area for the end of the LiPo to spread the impact from it's mass over in a crash,  so the bottom 2 cells of a 4s LiPo don't crumple at the narrow ends when taking the Impact from their own mass AND the mass of the 2 cells above them.   Though it could be improved upon by making the end wall the same height as the usual 40mm high 4S pack for full coverage for 4S packs and atleast more coverage for 6S packs, Maybe also make the plastic thicker as it has to be able to take 40mph+ head on impacts with the mass of 4 to 6s 5000 mah batteries in it.

The way the tray mounts to the chassis is fine (as long as the Screw mount "legs" are cut so the battery tray bottom lies flush with chassis),  holds the batteries closer to the chassis plate than the Losi 8ight tray,  lowers Center of gravity a bit,  also makes it easier to fit the height of batteries under the shell.

However they would DEFINATELY would need a better,  stronger ESC mounting platform than the SS battery tray,  As the ESC platform on that is just too flimsy,  Its just a flat plate with no real supports along it's length:

09e6e19e77485eef28b4aa8929997540.jpg?142Would need beefier bracing structure under the ESC tray,  Like the Losi 8ight battery tray:

losa0912_1.jpg

Just keep in mind bashers use Zip ties around their ESC and battery tray to further secure their ESC to the ESC plate...  To help prevent their ESCs breaking loose,  or the ESC casing itself splitting open,  releasing the ESC board to fly.... (Which happens,  it happened to me too).    So there needs to be some room under the bracing of the tray when they add it.

The motor mount would have to be designed with the possibility of having to deal with holding a 42mm diameter castle 2200kv mass and above motor,  Hitting a half submerged brick or other hidden obstacle and the car comming to a halt from 40mph+ almost instantly without the motor mount bending or breaking...

I've had this happen a few times now,  no damage to the car itself,  Just the motor mounts like the RC monster ones bent....

Though looking at the already existing Hyper SS-E motor mount,  with that extra mounting screw outboard, and as long as the Sliding Motor mount design has no weakness to 40mph head on crashes while holding a HEAVY MOTOR,  and the Aluminum is not cheese (use a good grade alu,  and heat treat it too) I think it would do just fine as is,  just not garish terry's chocolate orange. 

gallery12.jpg

Maybe the same as the anodising on their CNC knuckles?

hobao_87304n_001.jpg

Use the Hyper SS 17mm shocks on the Hyper 7-E,  as the 4mm shock shafts are better durability wise for bashing.

Mass produce a good looking, strong Hyper 7-E shell,    In pre-painted variants for the RTRs  (but clear windows like the TQ2!)  and unpainted for those who want to customise their own.

Most people with a Hyper 7 conversion are going to buy one,  and there are a LOT of Hyper 7 electric conversions out there, still using the Nitro shells with the Nitro holes cut out ruining the look and letting in more muck.

Perhaps also use the Hyper 7-E update to Design and manufacture a new type of durability focused steering knuckle Compatible for the Hyper 7 (the stock cast knuckles have always been a weak point when bashing the Hyper 7,  and something the hong nors always had over the hypers) ,  that also uses the T-Bolt pin and Nylock nut securing method like the Hong Nor CR and CRT used to use,   As it was always a bit of a pain to wait for Threadlock to cure after replacing a C-hub and having to unscrew and rescrew the CNC knuckles....

Also tweak the shock tower design a little,  so the towers use the 2 extra lowest shock tower mounting points on the Hyper 7 gearboxes,  as some people like to double up the stock shock towers for more strength,  but then the two lugs atop the diff housing fails,  which using the 2 extra mounting points alleviates,  Shown here,  the extra points are the small holes at the bottom,  where the towers curve around the diff casing:

3ff7afd2.jpg

Also for the RTR assembly,  Needs better shimming of the differential internals,  the parts are great quality,  but often come way under shimmed from the factory.   I've often had to add 0.5mm worth of shim to the new center differentials I've bought pulled from new Hyper 7s on ebay and all the power goes through that center diff,  so if anything needs to be shimmed right,  its the center.

I'm not sure if all are like that,  But the newest Center differential I bought needed a 0.2mm shim up at the spur end of the diff,  and 2x 0.3mm shims at the casing end of the diff for a total of 0.8mm worth of shims in the diff.   This explains why Nitroholic had such issues with his center differentials for his Hyper ST Pro electric conversion a while back.     He was buying them pulled from new RTR hyper 7 from ebay.  And they were probably comming way undershimmed as mine were.

Another thing they should do is apply something like Noleen SF3 http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?productId=8

(Same stuff as associated green slime)   to the new shock and differential O-rings in their RTRs before any silicone oil touches them as this makes the shocks smoother and leak much less,  and would cost practically nothing to do and make their RTR shocks much better.

Perhaps a bit under the heads of the countersunk screws that hold the differentials together too,  as differential oil can leak from them,  as the holes pass through inside/before the sealing o-rings on the outside edges of the differentials.

I'd also strongly reccomend they make sure all the screws are high tensile steel.   All the countersunks need to be grade 10.9,    And use Cap head grade 12.9 screws in place of button head screws in All places they can for the larger Hex socket size.  And only use button heads where clearance issues absolutely demand it.

Best if they use marked screws from a reputable manufacturer.

And as as a last point,  better wire routing and securing than what I see on the Hyper SS-E RTR.

Ofna-Hyper-SSe-Chassis.jpg

Can't say I'm a fan of wires flapping loose just begging to get snagged by a foreign object getting under the shell,  caught in the drive train and chewed up,  insulation rubbed off by rubbing on rotating driveshafts,  So would have to be better on a Hyper 7-E RTR basher.

Essentially fix any weakpoints and shortcommings found by Hyper 7 bashers over the years,  and put them all out in the Hyper 7-E basher edition as one last hurrah for their long standing Basher's champion,  and complete the legendary Hyper 7 series once and for good.

Then perhaps use the money they earn from that to move on to something truely new while continuing to be supported by the basher market due to having the best RTR bashing buggy going,  which will never really go out of date for bashing

(Because Hyper 7)

And so to go on perhaps, to produce a real no compromises non multi purpose racing only machine that can compete on the track with the lightest most fresh and sophisticated designs out there.

Edited by GorillaZilla

Tell that to the A10 thunderbolt...   If it ain't broke don't fix it.    Or you will probably break it trying to fix it.

Designs becomming stale only really applies to highly competetive areas such as racing.   For bashing what matters is Durability,  Cheapness and availability of spare parts,  and good enough handling to be fun.    Which the Hyper 7 does better than the SS or the new VS.

They currently have the best in class for bashing right now,  the Hyper 7.   If they break the Hyper 7 and all the support that surrounds it by neglecting it in favour of new entry level bashing machines that are not anything special...  Then they won't have a first class item in either racing OR bashing.

Edited by GorillaZilla

That's all great but what's stopping you or anyone bashing the new VS ?

Perhaps there thought was just out the tired old design of the hyper 7 and bring in a new basher available in both nitro and electric ?

This would solve all the above issues around converting nitro to electric would it not ?

You can't say this new one won't be better or worse as no one has one just yet ;) or do they ?

• Like 1

What exactly makes the Hyper 7 tired and old for bashing?     Tired and old for racing,  Yes.     But bashing?    No.

Its Perfect for bashing,  and modification.     There are practically unlimited dirt cheap spares (But strong and good quality too,  unlike other cars with cheap spares)  Available on ebay for reliable delivery in a couple of days.

There is years and years worth of threads on them detailing every last detail of them and still a lot of support for them,   Many ideas for modifications and upgrades.    And a legendary bashing history of epic feats behind them.  

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/149277-robins-flaming-hyper-7-jump-video-and-picture/

This is what people can do with Hyper 7s without worry....

bent both center driveshafts, bent the chassis and very slightly bent the motor mount and also cracked a wheel. total parts cost was about

Edited by GorillaZilla

Am I wrong?

From a consumers point of view then no, you are not wrong but we are not the ones making the decisions. 

I am a big fan of the H7...(I do not run electric)....and recommend it to anyone that wants a tough/reliable/cheap to fix(should it go wrong/break/wear) 1/8 buggy be they veteran or new to the hobby.

It has been around for donkeys years...in fact I expect Tamiya have released and re-released cars...and Losi/Mugen/X-ray/etc. have released and discontinued support for cars in the time that the H7 has been going.

Also, even though the H7 is old not much has changed over the years.

I can only imagine that new people have been injected into the company hence many new models, not a bad thing at all and it does not look like they are discontinuing the H7....the SS did not seem too popular so they are having another stab at it?

Maybe this new VS will be better than the competition and share many H7 parts and be well priced...who knows.... :)

• Like 1

Anyone come across a 'nekkid' shell off pic yet?

I'll reserve judgement on this until there avail in the flesh, but it's prob fair to say no one seems to be buying the SS as an entry level racer so it makes sense for Hobao to do something.

As for the 7?  I'm a little biased, as it was my first 8th Buggy, but I'll be sad when Hobao stop manufacturing them for sure.  There's little point echoing comments above, but I will add I , and many others, would snap up a new model if they released something along the lines of a 7 SS - shedding a little weight and bringing the big bore shocks and factory e parts (but not the SS batt/esc tray!).  Would make an excellent basher / dual purpose buggy for people like me, who like to 'bash', mess around the park and run round a track from time to time...

• Like 1

Indeed a waterproof bashing focused Hyper 7-E RTR and kit,  with SS shocks, hopefully room for 6s 5000mah packs under the shell  and tweaked strength oriented/problem solving parts (100% compatible with all hyper 7 though) based off the experiance of the innumerable hyper 7 bashers throughout the years would be a great way to finish the Hyper 7 series,  and give it a good and proper send off :-)

I'd buy one for sure,  and one for any children in our family who get interested in ground RC.

Edited by GorillaZilla

• 9 months later...

A friend has the VS brushless, he lives miles n miles away so I've only seen video's and pictures.  Stock esc is indeed 4S and from memory only 100a too.  IT's very very similar to the SS to be honest Jim - not that that makes it terrible but worth mentioning.  

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, Crawfish said:

Hi all, just bought myself a Hyper VSe. This is my first RC car (in my 40's now) and I'll be expecting to hit you all up for loads of advice and guidance! Here she is:XnEdGqv.jpg

Looks good - the new VS range seems to be gaining more traction than the SS did.