• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Team Orion Vortex dDrive Combined Motor/ESC

TWINSET

vortex.jpg

Features

• 2-in-1 Motor/ESC Unit for 1/10 scale cars
  • Vortex Sensorless Brushless Technology
  • Simple compact design for easy installation
  • Improved reliability
  • Designed for LiPo and NiMH batteries
  • High performance 4-pole motor
  • Aluminum case with high efficiency cooling
  • Forward/brake, forward/brake/reverse and forward/reverse (crawler) function modes
  • User adjustable performance settings
  • Overheat protection system
  • Battery low voltage cut-off system
  • Status control by LED and audio tones
  • Plug&Play: no soldering required, easy setup
  • Fitted with Deans high current connectors
  • Splash Proof
  • Developed by Oscar Jansen
#ORI28313 Vortex dDrive 2700kV (540, 4P, Deans)

#ORI28314 Vortex dDrive 3000kV (540, 4P, Deans)

http://www.teamorion.com/upload/product/full-view/1/product/Vortex-dDrive.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-35TIH_HZ8

• Like 1

Natty little idea, but as mentioned, is it re-buildable? Could be useful in micro class where space is at a premium.

I'm thinking 12th scale Pan cars?

Natty little idea, but as mentioned, is it re-buildable? Could be useful in micro class where space is at a premium.

The motors are a lot smaller as well.

This is only a 1st gen product so its bound to get better.

Good thought with the temperatures.

We have enough problems trying to keep the ESC's and motors cool when they're separated.

Neat idea just the same.

Thing is part of what would be 'motor' is now ESC, so the rotor is smaller - less power / torque?

Al.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why everyone has to have quite such a problem with this!

If one or other part of this dies, you can get spares. The diagram clearly shows it can be broken down into parts. Spares exist for most parts for a lot of motors, though its often cheaper just to get a new one. You can replace sensor units, rotors and even endbells. Novak Ballistics even let you change the stator which means you can 'repair' one whatever goes wrong. Like I said its normally not worth it, but here it might be.

Heat is a obvious concern but:

1: This is a low power setup for RTR's etc so isn't going to be that hot.

2: In many cars the ESC is located literally right next to the motor so this won't be much worse.

3: Combined motor/control units are not uncommon in industrial applications and work there. Those little fan units we use on ESC's and in or computers are built like that.

Its hard to tell if the rotor is significantly shorter than normal for a 540 sized motor. The picture suggests the ESC section isn't much larger than the Hall sensor and timing plate found on sensored motors, so I suspect the rotor length will be similar.

Combining this, a shorty lipo and a low profile servo and you have the potential to fit 1/10th scale electrics into a much smaller platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this, depending what it costs I might give it a go in one of mine. The only thing that concerns me a bit is that it is only splash proof! The motor is usually far more exposed than the esc so maybe its more for on road than off road basher useage.