• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya VW Amarok Custom Lift Pick-up

johninderby

Tamiya VW Amarok Custom Lift Pick-up

Tamiya has just released the VW Amarok pick-up on the 2WD WT-01N chassis. This is a narrow version of the WT-01 chassis with shorter suspension arms. The polycarbonate body is typical Tamiya with good detail and plenty of decals (lots of fiddly cutting out ). Tyres are the 2.2" from the Bruiser on black wheels.

Plastic bearings all-round so first order of business is ordering a set of ball-races. The gearbox and motor are a pre-assembled unit but dissembling and replacing bearings and motor only takes a few minutes. I fitted an Etronix Sport Tuned 21t brushed motor. Should have enough power and indeed in a quick test it would happily sit and spin it's tyres on a thick carpet. I'm temporarily using a Tower-Pro 996MG servo, soon to be replaced with something decent and waterproof, but good enough for initial testing. The battery holder will only take a stick pack so I'll need to order a suitable LiPo as a hardcase won't fit. NiMh for now. I will be putting a Quicrun 1060 in as soon as I get the LiPo. I decided not to use the stock wheels and bought some HPI Wheely King Classic black chrome wheels paid for by selling the stock brushed/brushless ESC which I didn't want. Junfac 12mm wheel widners fitted.

The stock shocks are friction type of 62mm and definitely need replacing. I tried some longer shocks but no good and went back to stock length adjustable oil shocks. The short suspension arms limit travel and so there's no advantage in longer shocks unless you mod the suspension arms.

I decided to paint the body with PS-49 Sky Blue Anodized Aluminium. It's backed with black, which had me a bit worried when I was putting it on in case it made the paint look patchy, but needn't have worried as it came out perfect.

Only had a test run around the lounge tonight (raining again!!!) but hopefully will be able to run it outside tomorrow. Very pleased with the end result.

John

Amorok-a_zpsrdfymje6.jpg

Amorok-1b_zpschrvz1uf.jpg

Amorok-b_zpst8behvxe.jpg

Amorok-Chassis-1_zpsr6fz4gdf.jpgAmorok-Chassis-2_zps61n9arsq.jpg

Amorok-Chassis-3_zpspbhtatrf.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

these are nice, i was looking at one of these to build, how durable do you thik it would be? does it share a chassis with any other tamiya models?

Its a great looking truck and a great build!!

The WT-01 chassis has been around for a while in a few different kits and seems pretty durable although changing to a steel motor pinion is recommended if you upgrade the motor. Just search WT01 and you'll find plenty of info. There have been both 2WD and 4WD variants using a lot of the same chassis components. Also look for WR01.

There is some slop in the suspension but from what I've read this helps prevent damage and it runs straight anyway as long as you leave the diff unlocked.

This is the LiPo I've ordered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281669209695?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hopefully will get the chance to at least run it around the garden this aft even if it's just on the NiMH.

John

First test run

Had problems with the ESC I had put in temporarily so stuck in the Quicrun 60 and fastened a LiPo to the top of the chassis. Puts the battery weight up a little high but good enough for a test run. Faster than expected and ran nice and straight even on the bumpy grass. Turned well without tipping over on flat ground despite the battery being on top of the chassis and turning was also fairly tight. The Bruiser tyres were OK on grass although I can think of other tyres that would be better. :whistling:

Ran it for about 20 minutes on grass and while the motor was a bit warm it wasn't that hot. Nothing broke and the only thing that needed doing was tightening up the rear wheel bolts as they had worked loose despite having lock washers. Bit of threadlock will sort that. Haven't glued the tyres on the rims but in no hurry to as they stayed put. I did fit foams as Tamiya doesn't supply foams with these tyres.

John

Amarok-Grass_zpskway6rfm.jpg

Edited by johninderby

• 4 weeks later...

Note the fugly wheel flares on the stock kit. Much better when trimmed out to the full openings. Also body has the full front bumper so you don't have to trim it as severely as in the kit pic.

Good to see that you can easily make it look right.  That pre-production photo put an awful lot of people off buying one.