• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi mini recon brushless

big turbo

Ok who has one and how are they holding out being bl ? and more importantly how are the ball diffs holding out ?? Not sure to go losi 1/24 bl or now go with the hpi mini recon and go bl. What's your thoughts I want a small but fast basher thats pretty tough too. Please help as o really can't make my mind up :-/

Had a mini recon, was not the best thing, even the stock wheels were a weak point!

The Losi 1/24 are a fair bit smaller to be fair but I love my brushless SCT. Needs flat surfaces though. The best mini at the most for my money is the LC Racing EMB range. Bit bigger than the mini recon but really solid little things and available in a whole bunch of styles.

Thunder wolf had a bl recon and his vids made me want to get one it looked great buy Idk how they fast they melt lol. Suppose all minis break easy.

The lc stuff does look very good tho 1/14 scale I think.

Thunderwolf still has his mini recon, its also still brushless.

TL;DR version: Watch the video at the bottom of the post and the text in red, should give you an idea on what its like

personally i love this car, it has a lot of flex to it but it just flexes on an impact, mostly ball joints though so they pop off, although not a common thing in my experience. mine is fitted with adjustable links but you don't need them.

being a small rc the brushless set up was cheap to get, small 45a esc is more than enough and the motor is a 340 size iirc, fitted mine with a 5800kv, in terms of drive line, axles, drive shafts, diff, even the spur and pinion gear are as they were from the factory and i see no reason to change any of them, in fact for a car this size and weight the drive shafts are huge.

thats not to say there are no down falls to the car, because there are, fitting the motor isn't a straight unbolt old, bolt on new, the motor plate/mount hole don't line up perfectly and meant some dremel work, may have been my motor choice, i don't know for sure.

battery holder is a pain to remove, thats down to its design imo, i have a cad file of a battery holder that i think will be better to use.

the only real gripe i have is the stupid plastic shocks, far too much flex, i dropped it off an arm car the day i got it and a shock cap popped off dripping shock oil on the floor (if you can call it that, was more like grease), knowing what i do now, i'd have left the adjustable turn buckles and got the alloy shock upgrade instead.

stock radio is fine but in the interest of keeping the 1 tx for all my fleet i took out the rx and fitting my spekky system, the servo is stock and works fine, again i see no reason to change it.

shells are limited but rc18 shells do fit, the one i have now is a rc18, slightly short on the wheel base but some extra cutting makes it presentable.

stock tyres are ok, more suited to on road or soft dirt but there is sod all grip on dry/dusty dirt or gravel, smooth paving slabs proved interesting, almost like watching some kind of rc ballet. seen many comments about wheel cracking apart but mine are fine, considering my bl one is now twice the speed or so and i've jumped it fairly high as well as crashing it into trees, rocks, benches and even sold concrete walls, all of which it just bounces off, i fail to see an issue with the stock wheels.

on subject of wheel, choice is limited in terms of changing them, same issue for the tyres, the tyres and wheels are different in size to other 1/18th stuff, the car also uses direct pin drive rather than a wheel hex set up, you can mod it to a rc18 set up i believe but tbh with this size car you won't be needing to imo. its too small for heavy off road where the slightly bigger tyres will be of some help, driving it in the woods i had it constantly getting stuck with twigs getting into the suspension or under the shell, and decent sizes rocks or stone are enough to flip it over.

Looks good and I'm glad it worked out for you, its a good looking little truck that had a lot of potential :)

Had mine a couple of years ago and basic durability was never good enough to gamble the drivetrain being up to brushless. Seems like its had those issues sorted out now :)