• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless in crawlers.

I could have maybe put this as a status, but just for those running brushless combos in your crawlers (primarily SCX10 or Gelande 2) could you post your electrics below and what sort of run times you get from your chosen packs?

I'm considering doing it, but I haven't done much reading up on what people use and what sort of run times to expect.

I know I can get 3 hours on the brushed set up, I'm expecting a brushless system to be a bit less, but just wondering how much?

Ta muchly ;)

Well, I ran my wraith (not the fastest, 35t igified tamiya can) with a 5000mah 25c over lander 3s for a full afternoon without hitting lvc, running a savox 1256 on an mtroniks tio crawler ESC and no bec!

Get me, Mr lah dee dah no bec with a savox ;)

A few folk running brushless around here in their trail rigs and the general consensus seems to be that run times are about the same if not a bit better.

I'm tempted to join them, sensored systems now getting quite cheap though waterproofing is still an issue

Well, I ran my wraith (not the fastest, 35t igified tamiya can) with a 5000mah 25c over lander 3s for a full afternoon without hitting lvc, running a savox 1256 on an mtroniks tio crawler ESC and no bec!

Get me, Mr lah dee dah no bec with a savox ;)

Just had a vision of Jezza saying 'I remember when everyone had a Lada... Lah dee dah's we called 'em' :lol:

A few folk running brushless around here in their trail rigs and the general consensus seems to be that run times are about the same if not a bit better.

I'm tempted to join them, sensored systems now getting quite cheap though waterproofing is still an issue

Really? You don't happen to know any of their specs do you?

The rig I'm thinking of doing it in, won't be getting wet, so the waterproofing side of it doesn't really apply.

Any water I will be going in will be limited to bottom of the axle sort of height, which won't cause me any issues.

Most people going from brushed to brushless in non-crawlers also go for significantly quicker motors too, which is what burns through the juice faster.

However, people that switched to equivalent speed brushless systems (those running fast brushed or stock spec mostly) tended to find brushless more efficient not less.

That said, at low speeds there is little efficiency difference between them - friction on the brushes at speed what makes brushless more efficient.

Having re-read your initial post, my words were irrelevant and useless.

I shall join dannyp in the Vat of Stupidity.

Carry on :)

Still made me chuckle so it was worth posting :P

Most people going from brushed to brushless in non-crawlers also go for significantly quicker motors too, which is what burns through the juice faster.

However, people that switched to equivalent speed brushless systems (those running fast brushed or stock spec mostly) tended to find brushless more efficient not less.

That said, at low speeds there is little efficiency difference between them - friction on the brushes at speed what makes brushless more efficient.

That's interesting, I would be wanting to be around the same speed as I am now, maybe just a touch faster, but nothing stupidly fast... A brisk jogging pace maybe.

Really? You don't happen to know any of their specs do you?

The rig I'm thinking of doing it in, won't be getting wet, so the waterproofing side of it doesn't really apply.

Any water I will be going in will be limited to bottom of the axle sort of height, which won't cause me any issues.

Doesn't seem to be any consensus on specs, everything from 13.5 to 21.5t, most on 2S. HK do motors for 25 quid and they seem to be the popular option, ESCs are varied again, I've been looking at the HW 60a sensored one, had good experience with HW so far :)

Honestly dan, it's not worth the extra outlay converting to brushless.

Only real need for brushless in crawler was the losi worm drive crawlers, they were so power hungry that brushless suited them better than brushed.

But for crawling brushed is still very much king....

Honestly dan, it's not worth the extra outlay converting to brushless.

Only real need for brushless in crawler was the losi worm drive crawlers, they were so power hungry that brushless suited them better than brushed.

But for crawling brushed is still very much king....

For the same speed and power, I'd pretty much agree, the main benefit seems to be less maintenance. But there are occasions when trailing when a bit more pep is fun, and that's what appeals to me. Not silly speed, just brushed on 3s levels available when you want it. Also really handy for powering up steep banks and we've got quite a few of those on the local trails

The combo I'm looking at would cost less than 70 notes too so its not even that much extra outlay these days :)

Am I right/wrong in saying brushed motors are more controllable at start off and lower speeds whilst used for crawling

Edited by mxfun

I've been running a 21.5t brushless setup in my SCX10 and been impressed with it. One thing though, I've never fully submerged in water and don't really plan to either.

I use the Hobbywing Juststock esc which is really good for the money and easy to waterproof. I take the esc apart and fully coat the boards with Lazy Goo, put it back together then Lazy Goo all the joining edges and all around the sensor port and wires. I used the same esc and waterproofing method in my touring car for racing last year with great success.

Waterproofing the motor is something I'm not 100% confident about. Yeah you can coat the sensor board in Lazy Goo but a lot of brushless motors have cut out vents in them, so I wouldn't want to submerge it. You do get sealed sensored brushless motors but I've not had any experience with them.

I only run on 2S and been using a 4200mah 65c lipo, I get at least 2 hours run time with it safely.

I've got a 21.5t brushless motor for sale if of interest to you but I've been tempted to keep it and put in my mini.

Am I right/wrong in saying brushed motors are more controllable at start off and lower speeds whilst used for crawling

Against sensorless systems yes they will be, but a sensored brushless motor and ESC will be just as smooth as brushed.

I don't think I'll go ahead and do it, if theirs no real advantages to it.

I have my SCX10 which I can fully submerge, should I wish to, so the waterproofing isn't an issue.

But if theirs no upside apart from a little more wheelspeed, it'd make more sense to spend