• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking to buy Hpi Baja 5b ss

chirri999

Hi, I am 99% sure of buying a Baja today but need advice on what to look out for, its 2 owners first owner from new for 1 year then 2nd owner 6 months. Never had a petrol so don't know where to investigate, any weak points on this model how to test the engine and other parts.

I've been able to get a good price of

As a newbie, with no experience, save up a little more and buy a brand new KM, unless you have an experienced friend to check the buggy out for you

Second hand Baja's are a minefield of potential issues. Whilst you 'should' spot any physical damage to physical parts, a second hand engine is another matter. Many Baja's are sold as SS spec, and aren't...

Number of owners means nowt either, you have no idea how they looked after their RC.

Could be a good deal. Can you honestly say you'd be happy parting with the money IF it turns out to be a total shed??? Could cost as much again to put it right....

• Like 2

As someone who has bought my fair share of lemons, it's definitely better to go new, especially if it's your first one.

As said, number of owners and how old the model is really means very little.

It only takes a few minutes to do some serious damage, so the fact it's only had two owners and is relatively new, doesn't mean much.

If on the other hand you can go and see it, see it running and idling from cold, that's a slightly different matter, because most other things you can check yourself.

If you do go ahead with it, just be sure to check engine braces for bending (means it's had some heavy impacts) the arms for cracks and so on and just obviously things, make sure it's all straight :)

As this is his first and my first look at a petrol fuelled rc then yes I have no knowledge regarding Petrol rc's, I guess we all learn when its relevant and in that order. His was an impulse purchase.

Have told him to check with the guy but the tool has already ordered a set of tyres and oil. Looks like i'll be the ones ringing then otherwise I'll be getting blamed for letting him razz the s50 and getting him hooked onto looking for a rc, it wasn't my idea to go for the Baja, I advised him to go for the s50 to as I've been through the roughs with mine, but he wanted to go petrol.

Will see how long it is before he puts it on for sale...

well I'd probably end up having to say my friend this and my friend that, it was easier just to put in the signature and get advice and tips, not a big issue is it, don't tell me you get wound up when people abbreviate and use caps when they shouldn't and missing punctuation marks.  As LoNg as you can understand my question faffing around and putting all the bells on wont' make a difference.

He tried 8 times an nothing fuel primed trans and recvr are on, can a weak battery cause the car not to start new plug fitted still no luck the pull cord seems a bit slack.  Any one in Lancashire that can give some hands on help, distance no issue.

Just want to check with you guys when you press the kill switch should it click or should you be able to fell the button push in and pop back out, because when we have pressed it there is no resistance or clicking noise could it be that is buggered causing engine tp not start.

its got a red silicone type button on the side of the pull chord plate, how do I check to see if that's working properly mate.  Seems responsive when turning the wheels on grass, its on charge will give it an hour or two and then try, he's worried now but i'll now know what to look out for when I buy mine hopefully very soon.

Edited by chirri999