• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

NEW RC- FTX Sidewinder?

r083rtd

Dear All, 

I have an axial scx10. as fun as it is, its a bit slow. i could change the gearing and motor on it but i like how well it crawls and climbs. so, i'm looking for another RC. i was looking at the ftx sidewinder but there doesn't seem to be great parts support. this leaves me with a dilemma because what i am looking for is an RC which is: cheap (sub

Dear All,

I have an axial scx10. as fun as it is, its a bit slow. i could change the gearing and motor on it but i like how well it crawls and climbs. so, i'm looking for another RC. i was looking at the ftx sidewinder but there doesn't seem to be great parts support. this leaves me with a dilemma because what i am looking for is an RC which is: cheap (sub

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Avoid the FTX. A new member (everclear) found it to be repeatedly weak and expensive to maintain.

The firestorm is tough, good vfm and has excellent parts support :)

I bought the ftx new and within 4 weeks had spent more than

• Like 2

In the past i have had a really bad experience with HPI and there parts support. I had a Trophy truggy flux. it just seemed to constantly be broken. some how i managed to sell it. ill have a look at the fire storm but as i said i'm a little apprehensive about hpi. 

Welcome! !..my boys selling his firestrom flux.....i'd stay away from ftx ..me boy had the brushless carnage and it may as well of been made of cheese! !I got him the firestorm flux to replace the ftx cheesage which kept braking. ...he's gota hyper7 now so don't use the fs flux no more..

Avoid the FTX. A new member (everclear) found it to be repeatedly weak and expensive to maintain.

The firestorm is tough, good vfm and has excellent parts support :)

I bought the ftx new and within 4 weeks had spent more than

As i said im alittle apprihensive about hpi and there build quality and not really willing to go there again. i have a trophy truggy flux, it was always broken.

The Firestorm is tried and tested and a quick Google search will show you how readily available parts are. I bought mine used, it's 9 years old (the receipt was still in the box) and it still takes an absolute hammering. If they're not your thing then fair enough but you won't struggle with durability.

• Like 1

Hpi, like all companies, don't always get it right with every model: the trophy being one of them. With some attention, they'll be fine, out of the box, not so much. Granted, HPI have a good warranty system and look after customers, within reason... A company doesn't want to admit there are 'faults' with a product either.

The firestorm has a proven history of durability with little required to add to box stock: the T bone range of bumpers add superb strength where required and cost very little for what they should save in parts repairs. I think there is little else (if anything) in the price bracket that is as durable.

Clearly, any rc can suffer damage at any time, nowt is impervious, bashing style being a determinent factor ;) Minimise the risk as best you can, save money longterm and buy tough to begin with.

• Like 1

In the past i have had a really bad experience with HPI and there parts support. I had a Trophy truggy flux. it just seemed to constantly be broken. some how i managed to sell it. ill have a look at the fire storm but as i said i'm a little apprehensive about hpi. 

Because they're pretty crap truggies.

In comparison to say a Losi 8ight-Te.

My friends has taken a fair bit of abuse, in both mine and his hands, but it does break, however, in terms of what they come with, theirs simply no contest.

Avoid the Sidewinder, absolute garbage!

• Like 1

Dear All,

• Like 1

I can vouch for the Blitz/Firestorm too. I have had mine for over 2 years, and I have never broken a plastic part, except for the spur, but that's my fault (I'm power hungry :)). You can jump it, crash it all day and it won't fail, and if it does, then parts are cheap and very easy to come by.