• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Km 30.5cc engine. New ring?

Bigjimknickers

I've just put a new piston ring & gasket set on this engine I had laying about, question is, does the new ring need any break in period?

Also, this is sold as a 30.5cc ported, so does that mean it has a +2 crank? Or is it bollocks & it's just a 29cc ported engine? (I need to know this as I've found a sweeeet head kit).

Anyhow, I figured it out this engine in my Dbxl just for the crack it may be ok, it may be removed tomorrow, it's only a stop gap til I either source a new long block or a head kit for the CY23cc.

I always assemble with a smear of 2 stroke oil, to help ease it in. Then just run it gently for a tank. Keep a close eye on the head bolts and exhaust bolts...as they can loosen off as the head settles in.

I tend to keep to half/three quarters throttle for a tank, then go for it after I have given the bolts a check and tweak.

I blew a brand new gasket after a top end overhaul after both head bolts slackened off when everything settled. I then discovered the plastic head shroud gets in the way...so I drill clearance holes in the plastic head cover over the head bolt holes. I don't bin the shroud, as it helps duct the cooling fan air over the head...but a few holes means I can check and access the head bolts

• Like 2

Mr king motor thought that if you port the head and skim the piston it would make it a 30.5 without the need of a 30mm crank that's why there is a sticker on it. But we know better and made it clear in the listing

The X2 is a 30.5 ported

When did you update the site? I bought my C version purely because of the 30.5cc ported engine and now it does have it?

It said 30.5cc engine when I bought my C..... That's crap...

When did you update the site? I bought my C version purely because of the 30.5cc ported engine and now it does have it?

It said 30.5cc engine when I bought my C..... That's crap...

The 002c has never said 30.5cc apart from on the pull start. It had reference to the item number (km 002c 30.5) but not cc and in the description it stated 29cc ported. When we purchased them they were meant to be standard 30.5cc (hence the title) but as above we discoved what they were when they was delivered and this was a couple of years ago.

Soo, the KM top end is shot, lasted about 30mins, was difficult to start, then got slower & slower.

Anyway.

Decision time, buy a new engine or buy a top end kit, ie:

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/zenoah-4-bolt-36mm-29cc-top-end-kit-ca330.html

Is that worth putting on A KM bottom end?

Or jus add more & get a Cy long block?

Get a lower displacement engine that has a high RPM, while the Baja is heavy it's not heavy enough to warrant a pure beats.

A half decent, high revving engine would be well suited.

This thread is about me putting an old KM engine in my Dbxl!

Anyway, I gave up on the KM & bought a G290 MX longblock.