• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas mini revo or savage xs?

100southin

hi guys,

i am looking to get a new rc tonight and am toying between the savage xs and the mini revo which would you recommend and which would be a more capable basher, or if you know something completely different in the price range?

The savage xs anyday mate.  But they eat the drive line pretty fast even on 2s lipo. The powerful motors are I think right on the edge of being too much. But damn they do shift lol. They have a good size and weight to them aswel plenty of option parts usually good prices. 

But it's what

Id say mini revo. But im biased towards traxxas. Both are good bits of kit with lots of spares and hop ups availible

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mini revs from what i understand are smaller, are they less capable?

The savage xs anyday mate.  But they eat the drive line pretty fast even on 2s lipo. The powerful motors are I think right on the edge of being too much. But damn they do shift lol. They have a good size and weight to them aswel plenty of option parts usually good prices. 

But it's what

Personally I'd buy bigjimknickers eb4 G3 in the sales not a monster truck but far more capable than either the mini revo or the savage xs in my book , and yes I have had all 3 .

As for the mt4 G3 had 2 of them and both where a blast but there is a new G5 coming soon so I'd wait for that but I dare say it will be a lot more than

• Like 1

I bash with a mate who has a savage xs and it's constantly breaking. My mini revo has a big block motor out of a 1/10 scale and the only thing I ever replace is arms. I have never ever had a problem with a diff.

That being said the savage is waterproof and my revo isn't....

Also been there, run both and the answer is neither!

Both have serious issues, both are Marmite cars, I love both but they're both seriously flawed.

Unless you specifically need or want to run something small, you'll be better off getting something bigger. Bigger will work out cheaper in the long run too.

If youre really set on getting a mini then just do some reading to be sure what youre getting yourself into. Hand on heart, I prefer the Merv but I can understand why others say XS. :)

Also been there, run both and the answer is neither!

Both have serious issues, both are Marmite cars, I love both but they're both seriously flawed.

Unless you specifically need or want to run something small, you'll be better off getting something bigger. Bigger will work out cheaper in the long run too.

If youre really set on getting a mini then just do some reading to be sure what youre getting yourself into. Hand on heart, I prefer the Merv but I can understand why others say XS. :)

if you had

1/8 scale buggy is the obvious candidate, same physical size as your old slash but more heft and power. EB4 G3, Hong nor X3 or the inevitable Hyper conversion are the usual suggestions but 1/8 scale buggies aren't really my thing, i prefer sending small stuff into orbit at the skate park :)

1/8 scale buggy is the obvious candidate, same physical size as your old slash but more heft and power. EB4 G3, Hong nor X3 or the inevitable Hyper conversion are the usual suggestions but 1/8 scale buggies aren't really my thing, i prefer sending small stuff into orbit at the skate park :)

i've never had a 1/8th buggy but they have never really appealed to me, i see a lot of people convert hypers and the hong nor x3 looks to be good value for money but what are upgrades like for them and spares etc.

If they don't appeal then don't do it bud!

They don't appeal to me either, that's why I play with minis and been through a fair few looking for that perfect car (still haven't found it :D )

At the end of the day, these are just toys, get the one you fancy and enjoy it :)

I found my Merv a lot more dependable once I'd sunk a fair bit into it and worked through all the weak points but the support for it is fading as they lose their popularity.

XS needs a shorter list of upgrades but eats itself making it high maintenance to keep it up and running. Is a stout little thing while you're out bashing though providing you stay on top of it.

If they don't appeal then don't do it bud!

They don't appeal to me either, that's why I play with minis and been through a fair few looking for that perfect car (still haven't found it :D )

At the end of the day, these are just toys, get the one you fancy and enjoy it :)

I found my Merv a lot more dependable once I'd sunk a fair bit into it and worked through all the weak points but the support for it is fading as they lose their popularity.

XS needs a shorter list of upgrades but eats itself making it high maintenance to keep it up and running. Is a stout little thing while you're out bashing though providing you stay on top of it.

if i had an xs i wouldn't be planning on running it on any higher than 2s does it still how the drive line issues even on 2s? The thing thats steering me away from the MERV is the wheels are smaller so in my eyes i would see it struggling on grass etc. is this the case?

Quick summary :) OK. Quickish.

XS needs decent bloody servo (stock is useless), turnbuckles (traxxas ones are cheap and do the job), decent ends on the shocks and some better tyres.

ESC is iffy, fit a HW SC8 and save the stocker for spares for the FS. Drive cups and outputs will wear in a blink, replace with HD ones when they do. Replace all the bearings when you do the cups and put oil in the diffs.

Oh and shim or locktite the slipper nut or it backs off.

Will (should! :) ) then just be drivetrain maintenance, driveshafts, dogbones, diffs and slipper pads are wear and tear items, will need regular checks and maintenance even on 2s. But if you do that, it will rarely fail while you're out bashing and ruin your fun. Final caution, tvp design makes getting at things quite involved, nothing is ever just a quick job!

There's probably stuff I've missed or forgotten, there's a good XS thread here which does well documenting the highs and lows of running one of these.

MERV has surprising ground clearance and articulation for its size, plus you can swap in the mini summit long travel suspension and it'll go places that would stop many bigger cars. Mini summit tyres are much chunkier too, in fact they're my favourite choice for a Merv.

My merv handles the grass at the park without a problem. But the best place to take it by far is the skate park. It's a fast little jumping machine. It also tends to break less often than the xs my mate has at the aforementioned skatepark

My merv handles the grass at the park without a problem. But the best place to take it by far is the skate park. It's a fast little jumping machine. It also tends to break less often than the xs my mate has at the aforementioned skatepark

Skate park is the natural habitat of the Merv, awesome fun :D miss mine quite badly :(

What's your mate breaking on the XS? Mines been pretty stout while out, unless he's running 3S?

• 1 year later...
On 25 March 2015 at 16:38, Madmini said:

Hi madmini, just wondered if you're able to share your thoughts on the merv, I'd like to hear some positives really!