• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SCX10 G6 build thread

If you don't mind me asking, why brushless over brushed?

For mods/upgrades, I'd highly recommend some better shocks, Axial ones are crap... They leak and just aren't sprung very nice.

Next would be some alloy knuckles and some CVD's.

I got all mine from AsiaTees, I'm using Boom Racing Boomerang Type 1's on a 50/50 droop set up and they're really nice shocks!

I run Boom Racing knuckles and c hubs with Axial CVD's, again from AsiaTees and it gives it really nice lock!

Aside form that, they're pretty good.

Unless you're dead set on a brushless set up, I'd consider looking at the Hobbywing 1060 ESC, it's great, fully waterproof, very good drag brake, 3s capable if you should want to run 3s, although it's overkill in these rigs and under

• Like 1

I was hoping that you'd pop into this thread  :) 
I mainly want to go brushless for motor reliability. 
Thank you for the heads up on the shocks, knuckles, and CVDs. I'll have a butchers on Asiatees and start pricing up some goodies.

If you don't mind me asking, why brushless over brushed?

For mods/upgrades, I'd highly recommend some better shocks, Axial ones are crap... They leak and just aren't sprung very nice.

Next would be some alloy knuckles and some CVD's.

I got all mine from AsiaTees, I'm using Boom Racing Boomerang Type 1's on a 50/50 droop set up and they're really nice shocks!

I run Boom Racing knuckles and c hubs with Axial CVD's, again from AsiaTees and it gives it really nice lock!

Aside form that, they're pretty good.

Unless you're dead set on a brushless set up, I'd consider looking at the Hobbywing 1060 ESC, it's great, fully waterproof, very good drag brake, 3s capable if you should want to run 3s, although it's overkill in these rigs and under

Why's that? :lol:

And brushless aren't really anymore reliable than brushed.

You've also got the issue of how waterproof they are, along with how waterproof the ESC is.

Brushed motors are fully waterproof to clean water, even though mines been through the mill and back lol.

If you buy a decent brand to begin with, then theirs nothing wrong with brushed motors matey :)

You'd have to spend a bit to get a nice waterproof sensored set up.

You could of course waterproof it yourself, but then your warranty is void.

I've been reading through your build threads and always love what you do  :thumbsup: 
I was going to avoid running it through water so I didn't have to deal with rust, so water proofing isn't a huge concern. With brushed motors do you still have to replace the brushes?
I may have to have a look at some brushed setups as well then if you recommend using them. Decisions decisions lol 

Why's that? :lol:

And brushless aren't really anymore reliable than brushed.

You've also got the issue of how waterproof they are, along with how waterproof the ESC is.

Brushed motors are fully waterproof to clean water, even though mines been through the mill and back lol.

If you buy a decent brand to begin with, then theirs nothing wrong with brushed motors matey :)

You'd have to spend a bit to get a nice waterproof sensored set up.

You could of course waterproof it yourself, but then your warranty is void.

Well cheers, glad you like 'em :)

People do advise changing them when they get worn, that's rebuildable motors though.

I can't personally advise as I don't use rebuildable ones, I just use throw away ones as I've found them to last ages and ages, especially Axial ones, but these RC4WD ones are lasting well too.

Hmmm, no water? I thought the same, until I saw a puddle and it was like my rig was magnetic to water :lol: !

You might be surprised how good fun it is.

• Like 1

Are these what you use?
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/axial-27t-electric-motor/rc-car-products/368081
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-QUICRUN-1060-60A-Waterproof-Brushed-ESC-for-1-10-Scale-Truck-Crawler-/281524850953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item418c305109

For that price Id be a fool not to go for it  :xd: 
Lol yea I plan to stay away from puddles but weather or not i'll be able to resist driving it in I don't know lol

Well cheers, glad you like 'em :)

People do advise changing them when they get worn, that's rebuildable motors though.

I can't personally advise as I don't use rebuildable ones, I just use throw away ones as I've found them to last ages and ages, especially Axial ones, but these RC4WD ones are lasting well too.

Hmmm, no water? I thought the same, until I saw a puddle and it was like my rig was magnetic to water :lol: !

You might be surprised how good fun it is.

Added to my cart  :thumbsup: 

What sort of torque should I be looking at for the servo?  was looking at something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Power-HD-1501MG-High-Torque-Servo-17kg-cm-0-14s-Waterproof-Metal-Gear-/321583502346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4adfded40a

Cheers

that servo may abit overkill at 15 kg i had one in a baja 5b and a savage xs mini also try hobbyking they sell the samae servo for less i think i paid about

• Like 1

I run a Hitec 646 in mine and it seems enough for what I do.

Just got the new PowerHD 20kg jobby though for the G2, if that's good I might get one in the SCX10 too, do a home waterproof job and if I do happen to fry it, well, it's only a few quid and I'll already have the Hitec to go back in.

Be good to get your thoughts on the motor and ESC combo when it arrives and you give it a test :)

Just be sure the little plugs in the ESC are in the correct places, mainly the LiPo one for switching between LiPo and NiMH.

If you completely remove the other plug that 'programs' the drive of the ESC, it enables the drag brake :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I just ordered another Altern Servo, same as whats in my 22sct as it seems to do a good job in that. Whats the best way of water proofing it? Might do it with mine just incase it decides it wants to go for a swim lol.

I'll defo let you know how I get on with it  :thumbsup: 
Cheers for the tips, I'll post up some pics of how I set it up  :)

I run a Hitec 646 in mine and it seems enough for what I do.

Just got the new PowerHD 20kg jobby though for the G2, if that's good I might get one in the SCX10 too, do a home waterproof job and if I do happen to fry it, well, it's only a few quid and I'll already have the Hitec to go back in.

Be good to get your thoughts on the motor and ESC combo when it arrives and you give it a test :)

Just be sure the little plugs in the ESC are in the correct places, mainly the LiPo one for switching between LiPo and NiMH.

If you completely remove the other plug that 'programs' the drive of the ESC, it enables the drag brake :thumbsup:

I have found that using some silicone from RCbitz, open the servo and coat as much of the electronics as you can with it. It dries and waterproofs it, then put some around all seals and where the cable comes out. Use some thick silicone grease on the spline out put.

Then on the outside some silicone grease where the spline exits and an o-ring that fits tightly, the it gets squashed down when you put the horn on. Worked great with my alturn in my Ascender, which got fully submerged on a few occasions (drove it in to a pond etc...)

• Like 1

I've started the build and I have come across my 1st problem. Im building the drive shafts but when I screw the casing together the dogbones won't rotate and input shaft is very notchy. guessing the gear mesh isn't right? how can I correct this?

EDIT: problem solved, bevel gear wasn't fully seated

Edited by melvins913

Axles built
IMG_0514.jpg

very simple to do, only issue I had was that the bevel gear on the front axle wouldn't seat properly and I really had to force it in there. I was watching Joe Ferguson's videos as well which are a great watch
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsOrUotsbgajVIMUqSCKBMo1FMjDVTHH0&spfreload=10

Now I have to go and do some food shopping with the missus  :bye2: Hopefully I can do some more this evening 

You know what happens when you finish it?

You have to buy another :D

If you finish an RC you're doing it wrong.