• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

450 ... looking for advice

Been flying small stuff for a while, but have decided I want to have a proper outdoor capable heli....something more than a back-garden flyer.

I've got on well with my little SR120, and a few cheaper FP helis. Can takeoff...fly a bit...land....and land the right way up pretty much where I meant to. I have tried a nano CP, and whilst I get the basics, I find the thing is very lively and very responsive ... too much so if I am honest for my little garden, but it's too small and light to cope with much wind or fly in the park.

so I figured a 450.

Crashes are likely .... so I am not going to drop a few hundred on a T-Rex. Not until I know I have pretty much mastered things.

I've done the simulator thing....

I'm basically looking for a T-Rex clone now, as a cheap to replace and fix airframe onto which I can add better components as I improve, and then take those parts onto a genuine higher quality kit when I am ready. But WHICH ONE!

So many T-Rex clones, motor options, servos...and most importantly....a gyro. HK401b seems to get a slating...so perhaps a better unit?

Anyone got any advice before I start clicking the buy buttons :)

Looked at the E-Flite options ....

The 400 is a bit too old, and spares will be an issue as I saw lots of 'reduced' and 'last one' stuff on E-Bay. Older 450s are a possible if I can find a cheap BNF, and the newer 450s are too expensive for what I want.

I'd go as big as you can afford.  

A 500 flies so much better than a 450.

The TT mini Titan is a good buy.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_134_133&products_id=26437

If you're going for a fly barred heli the Spartan Quark is a decent gyro.

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_31&products_id=8769

Cheers,

Graham

Edited by Jeekay56

Spartan Quark noted :)

great name too!

I know what you mean about bigger helis... that was my thinking about going larger. More stability and slower responses to help me tune my reflexes are what I want and whilst I can dial in a fair bit of response based on radio settings....small helis are always twitchy.

How much bigger and heavier than a 450 is a 500?

Typically a 450 will spin 315-325mm blades, whereas a 500 size will spin 425-450mm blades.

It's not just the extra length of the blades, they have extra width (chord), this produces more lift at a lower headspeed.

A compromise between a 450 and a 500 would be something like the Gaui X3 or a Compass Warp, both of which use 360mm blades and fly so much 'bigger' than a 450.  There are some youtube vids of the Warp at very low headspeeds.

The only helis I have now are a MCPX V2 and a MCPX BL, so maybe I'm a bit out of touch.

Cheers,

Graham

I've got a Blade 450 3D and a Nano CPX, and I have to say out of the two the CPX is easier to fly. But if you want a 450, then you'll want to go (very carefully) into second hand. What's your budget might I ask?

I've got a Blade 450 3D and a Nano CPX, and I have to say out of the two the CPX is easier to fly. But if you want a 450, then you'll want to go (very carefully) into second hand. What's your budget might I ask?

How does it differ in terms of ease of flight? I find it very easy to over-fly the Nano, and am constantly fighting to maintain a stable flight. Light winds and eddies take it easily, and I tend to over-react to compensate and put in too much control input. With a slower responding heli like my 120SR, I find it easier to respond as a steady slower control corrects it.

If a 450 is worse in that respect and is more responsive....then I need to rethink as I was hoping more mass would be the way to go.

Budget wise....I have a DX6i and some batteries that would be suitable. Looking to get the rest for under

Why don't you go for a Blade which is for indoor and outdoor flying?

Very good heli but its for the intermediate to advanced flyier

Which Blade? I got a Nano CP and that's too twitchy to fly indoors....my house just isn't big enough! I want a proper outdoor flyer, and that means buying larger in my view. There are conflicting opinions as to what benefits and pitfalls that brings....and I am trying to sort things out so I don't spend a fortune on a heli I am scared of flying, or one that I fly once and never land......

I could cop out completely and buy a Blade 200 as a bigger FP heli..... but I reckon I would find the limits on that and still have to transition onto a larger CP heli sooner or later

The Nano actually, for me anyway, fares better in the wind than the 450. Flybarless, in my opinion, is much better than flybar, also a lot easier. Only reason my 450 is flybar is that I cant afford a nice flybarless unit.

I find my Nano also more fun to fly, as the crashing isn't always on my mind like the 450. Although I have to say the 450 when flown is so rewarding, and once you get into 3D, huge amounts of fun. But remember bigger the heli, the more the crash cost.

I had one of those hobbyking 450s, I wouldn't bother with it.  I got it at a time where I was experienced enough to know it was the heli and not me, but for a novice flyer, it may put you off for life.  There are very many small errors in manufacturing and part quality that just make it not fly great.

I'd recommend getting a second hand Trex flybarless model off a forum somewhere.  Flybarless is definitely the way to go now, flybars are nice on bigger helis and give a different flying feel, but on a small heli for a beginner they will simply be fiddly and hinder your flying.  There is a forum that I use (rcheliaddicts) that often has decent stuff come up. 

• Like 1

Which Blade? I got a Nano CP and that's too twitchy to fly indoors....my house just isn't big enough! I want a proper outdoor flyer, and that means buying larger in my view. There are conflicting opinions as to what benefits and pitfalls that brings....and I am trying to sort things out so I don't spend a fortune on a heli I am scared of flying, or one that I fly once and never land......

I could cop out completely and buy a Blade 200 as a bigger FP heli..... but I reckon I would find the limits on that and still have to transition onto a larger CP heli sooner or later

i missed typing the model :xd: 

I mean't the Blade 130x

Thanks for the tips Delarado :)

I will have a look at the settings in my DX6profile for the Nano. If I can get more confidence with that, it would be a plus.

Money is too tight, in my view, to go for a proper Align 450 or a Blade 450 ..... so I'll need to keep saving the spare cash or look at something a bit smaller. If I can dial out some of the bad behaviour on the Nano, then a 130X might well be worth a look. It;s big enough to fly outdoors....and if the twitchyness is a combination of my ham-fisted flying and a poor setup, then that does give me options.

If I can't master it...perhaps I need to give up and learn to fly fixed wing ;)

130x is no longer a current model and with scare the shi*t out of you to fly indoors.  Spares may start to be problematic before long (its been superceeded by the 180CFX I think) plus the head speed is so high itll easily take out your LCD TV if a blade touches it :)

They are good for outdoor work though, but not a whole lot better than a nano.  My advice is save for the 450 and get one of those. Keep your eye on actual dedicated model helicopter forums and ebay and youll snap up a bargain before long.

Keep saving your pennies and forget a clone. I would go Align over Blade. FBL over flybarred. Flying hell's isn't cheap, bigger they are the more expensive they get to repair but easier to fly/see. Fly what you can afford to crash or it will hold your progression back. Also a good flight sim is a must imo.

Another thing is where are you actually going to fly. Space is needed, obviously the bigger the heli the more room you need. You don't want to be around people, dogs etc... Any nearby clubs? Best thing I ever did was join one. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

the more heavy a bird the more control you will have, but the more it costs. 

my first heli was a raptor 32  fly bar nitro running a .39 lump shoehorned into it (OS lump to)

yeah i could make it fly nearly after like 5 months learning how to get it off the round without trying to kill me first.

but it flew and worked well 

the big part, it was fully built from a KIT none of this ready made stuff, everything had to be put together and the linkage lengths checked with calipers

the old way. 

just messing around stick with small, but if your really want to step into the game its a align 450 flybarless  full 3d .

upgrades later can be a more powerful brushless and some extra volts some beefy mg servos with some kg behind them.

more tuned in pinon for head speed adjustment. and some carbon blades top and side .

but after that you will wnat a bigger brid so you look at 600 and 700 size models and your hooked like a huge bluefin tuna .

by that time you have traded the wife in for a  600 class align , and have the kids lined up as collatral for the brushless upgrades you wnat installed

monster mamba and an ice esc

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

• 1 year later...