• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My HPI Baja build

smeghead28

I think you have to disassemble the engine for the kill switch lol. I have a switchblade ready to fit but want to mesh it at the same time so nothing has been done lol. They are too big really it's more hassle than I wanted.

you work out a technique to make most of that easier, the roll cage body pins for example, i never use the spacers for it, nor do i use the plastic chassis protector or side pods, because they get annoying.

i don't use the rubber boots on the axles either, they rip apart too easily so i just run them dry and open.

• Like 3

The killswitch will be okay as the car doesn't have to come apart that much.

Previously fitted one to a FG so know how it goes in.

Biggest pain I can see is there is a brace between the rear shock towers that might have to be removed to get the cage off as it runs underneath it and I dont know if the cage will pass under it.

Also I have noticed the rear shocks seem to "jam" after about 10minures or so when the car is stood still.

It will compress but doesn't come back up again.

You can pump the back end up and down a bit and then the suspension works fine,it seems like the oil settles into the bottom of the shock body when it is stood and it takes a few pumps to get the oil to move for the suspension to work correctly. 

Fit an H bomb cage part, allows you to remove the front of the cage without having to take the shock towers and brace apart.

I'd check the shocks, if built correctly, they should travel smoothly... Assuming you built them with stock o rings and no green slime? Fitted DS red o rings onto ours three years ago, never had a leak or issues since building them ;)

The whole shock thing is odd.

They work fine once they have been compressed a few times.

Used the DS O rings and I have no leaks and off the car they are okay,cant see or feel any binding on the rear arms,they just flop down once the shocks are off.

H bomb looks a good way to go,would at least make is easier to change the spark plug over.

As it is I have split the back part with the engine on from the main chassis as one lump so I can install the killswitch.

Well had to fiddle,wasn't quite happy with the rear shocks so took them off again.

Topped them up from the top rather than the bottom as per the instructions,overfilled them slightly,loosely fitted the top cap,pushed the piston up to remove excess oil and screwed the top cap shut.

End result,much better than they were.

Maybe not the best idea but I have also removed the rubber shock shaft protectors,they were bunching up when the shock compressed and seemed to be impeding the movement.

Between those two things the whole set up seems to work even better than it did before  :thumbsup:

Edited by smeghead28

doing the shocks is a fine art, doing it from the bottom or the top doesn't really matter, result is the same if done right either way.

if your rubber boots are bunching up make sure you have put the bottom part over the rod end, make sure it dry too or they slip off, not running them lessens how long you o-rings in the bottom last quite a bit i found.

I noticed last night that I had the wrong outer part of the beadlocks on the wrong wheels.

Had the rear ones on the front and fronts on the rear :)

There was an amendmant sheet as part of the instructions but that bit wasn't very clear as to what it was getting at.

It wasn't till I was looking at some pictures online last night that I noticed it.

Hopefully I will get the kill switch in the next couple of days so I can start to get it back together.

yes but the inners and outers arnt :D hes put the inners facing out on the rears :D

which is impossible as the outer bead locks have a smaller diameter and therefore physically won't fit.

The inners are all the same but the outers are different front to rear.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-baja-5b-2.0-rtr-black-/rc-car-products/383090

since when did that happen....

makes no difference, stock beadlocks and wheels are crap on both version but still...

Edited by Thunderwolf

This is finished although yet to be run,been a bit down this last week and not been out with it yet.

Killer Bee failsafe fitted and seem to be working okay although only a proper test will tell :)

Installed a Power HD 20kg for throttle/brake,maybe overkill but it wasn't that expensive.

Also made my own version of the H Bomb cage removal section with some 12mm tube,I couldn't use the original H Bomb as my exhaust sticks up above the cage so it wouldn't have worked,luckily I found that out before I bought it.

Got a chrome snail going on :)

DSC03053_zpsxtfcxlo9.jpg

Got the silenced version,hopefully it will be quieter than the stock SS exhaust.

Only slight issue was the washer supplied to go onto the bottom bracket was small enought to drop through the slot,luckily had a repair washer that was the right size,other than that fitting it was no problem.

Had the first run with this set up yesterday afternoon and I am glad I got the silenced version as it is still pretty loud!

It does sound better than the stock pipe though,at idle and at speed.

There is a definate performance improvement as from a stand still it lifts the front wheels about an inch off the ground for the first 10ft or so.

Just need to stop the leak from the exhaust that I seem to have at the moment,other than that all is good.

Its wheeling coz your rear shock are set a bit hard, ok for tarmac but off road,.....I wouldn't lol! Itll roll a lot, and it wheelies because the powers not getting soaked up in the springs, thats why its poping wheeliesssss kidda, good thou :) wind the collar up on the shocks to about 12mm to 15mm from the top of the thred and that should be ok for a bit of off roading :)

Pretty much anything is an improvement over the SS pipe, for both noise and power :lol:

you still up kidda ;)