• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My point of view on the hobby so far... purchase of your first RC.

NitricRC

So I have had the Sidewinder a little over a month now and I am realizing that it's made of glass and should be run at less than 1mph an across pillows only, while wrapped in cotton wool and bubble wrap, and although I haven't abused mine as much as everclear1984 I still find something manages to break, like before bumped into a kerb in reverse (wasn't even going fast) and the lower arm snapped on the same side as last time in the same place (lucky they come in pairs as I have a spare somewhere). Now I really like the buggy and it brings a smile to my face when I take it out but based on this fact I am now looking for something else. Now the point to my waffle is if your new to the hobby do your research before on a forum and read reviews, don't rush in and buy the first thing you see there are plenty of experienced people who will advise you on what works and the tried an tested methods please listen to what advice is given to avoid disappointment and if a model that is advised is too expensive wait and save for it you will be glad you did. I am going to repair mine and use it on the beach only hopefully the grains of sand won't break it hmmmm..... :(

Edited by NitricRC

Going to move up to 1/5 scale and save for either a HPI baja or the KM baja. :)

Well done!

Good choice :)

then get yourself to some bashes and see how its done proper with some massive jumps and every attempt to destroy our cars :)

Well done!

Good choice :)

then get yourself to some bashes and see how its done proper with some massive jumps and every attempt to destroy our cars :)

Sounds like a plan do you want to buy a Sidewinder going cheap????.... lol :) Edited by NitricRC

I have just give it to my five year old lad, the smile on his face priceless, I think it's about to become more expensive :(

Haha exactly what i would have done lol but my youngest lad is now 12 so he would just pull it to bits like i used to when i was his age lol

Build from the ground up, that's how I built my Savvy. It's no show stopper, but it was far cheaper than RTR and I know exactly how it goes together.

Win win.

Now the point to my waffle is if your new to the hobby do your research before on a forum and read reviews, don't rush in and buy the first thing you see there are plenty of experienced people who will advise you on what works and the tried an tested methods please listen to what advice is given to avoid disappointment and if a model that is advised is too expensive wait and save for it you will be glad you did.

i feel it important to say my experience after reading this.

When i was first starting i had no idea what i was doing, and i actually looked online.

few days later i joined several forums, including this one, and asked questions directly, expecting to be able to buy something fairly cheap and rtr.

i was advised to get something more expensive, i read and was told how good it was, it was a hpi savage and at the time is was considered to be the truck to have, i was told to get the kit because it teaches you about the car more than getting rtr.

i took that advice, i saved more money, i bought the kit version.

i had that truck for about a year and a half, and i hated it, it was constantly breaking stupid parts, getting it to work was a challenge, working on it was awful, and so on.

i agree with all in the quoted section above, except that last part "you will be glad you did." even when you do all those things (and you should) there is never a grantee you buy something you will like, and i wish i had gotten something else for my first rc

they were right about the whole kit advice though, totally worth buying a kit for the first car, you learn alot about how it goes together and get an idea on how it works in the process

Weird, I sent you this message before reading this -

So I took the sidewinder out to a field because I'm so happy about having everything fixed.... or at least I was!

ONE roll and the steering linkage, left steering knuckle, servo mount plastic upper suspension link and roll cage are all now broken!! All-in-all about

I feel for the OP, an expensive introduction to a great hobby. A good looking buggy made of poo, harsh :(

Good on you for not throwing in the towel :)

Research time is time well spent, building your own brings great satisfaction, teaches you much and long-term is more cost effective.

Look forward to a build thread :)

hi guys im new to the forum , just had a quick question 

i have an mrc clio 16s in amazing condition 

kawasaki tg24 engine 

yankee tyre fitment , its a car i purchased in 2001 so its an oldie 

im missing 1 shock tower and cant seem to find any spare parts at all 

an sugestions