• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao 1/8 Hyper MTe Sport

mydoddy69

Right then you lovely folks i have been waiting to get my grubby little mits on this since i first saw it, finally i have :thumbsup: .

I was never going to get the RTR instead i went with the roller version.. So far i have only unboxed it and had a quick look but i must say that the roller seems a much better deal than what i have seen about the rtr so far, i'll fill you guys in later on why but for now some quick pics as i know some of you go nuts for pics  :xd: ..

DSC02853_zpss6nqwz8y.jpg

DSC02855_zpsugvuqauy.jpg

Must say i'm super happy with this purchase much better than i first thought it would be !!  :thumbsup:

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 1

So you finally went for it!

How's the slop? Plans in place for a chassis brace? I know in my head how I'd go about it.

Slop what slop ! .. ;)

There is some movement up and down but that's in the tolerance of moulding which is a easy shim job to sort .. I can't say I have found any other yet ..

Mine has arrived with cvd's up front and dog bone rears plus it has the new looking wheel nuts included !! I think by the looks from the early rtr's the shock standoffs are now different as there no longer held on with a nut and bolt but instead there the socket ball push on type, if you get what I mean ..

Really impressed with it to be fair after reading what was said about the RTR

Brace now that's a question . To be honest I'm not sure at the minute so all ideas are welcome .

One mistake I have made is the motor :( I pre bought a hobbywing 2000 kv 4274 thinking it would fit but the mounting band is only 40mm dia :( . So I can either loose the bracket or grind it or just buy another motor. More than likely just loose the band for now ;)

I'd lose the band and just add foam padding under the motor. That's a simple option that should suffice.

Other options are grinding down the motor fins or using a Starrett type cutter to enlarge the clamp.

Dejan has various motor clamps for the Savvy that fit various size motors, I wonder if one of them would fit? Just a thought.

I'd lose the band and just add foam padding under the motor. That's a simple option that should suffice.

Other options are grinding down the motor fins or using a Starrett type cutter to enlarge the clamp.

Dejan has various motor clamps for the Savvy that fit various size motors, I wonder if one of them would fit? Just a thought.

Yep thought of these and to be honest I think I'll just loose the band mount for now ..

So what's your thoughts on a brace ?

By the looks it's not the rear that needs it as that's got the motor mount plate. What I'm thinking is a simple plate up front mounted with some angle or a bit of square bar drilled and tapped . Or go a full length and then I'd have the bonus of a skid pan. Whatever I go with I'm thinking of using some 6082 alloy plate about 3 mm should make it as solid as a rock ?

Not had the car in my hands, so hard to say. My idea is using ally angle along the two lower edges. That may sound pony, but with some studding added across the front, it should be fine.

The full sheet brace will definitely be tougher, but will add more weight for the drivetrain to carry. It will also create a pit for debris to collect in.

The extra weight would be low down, so from a handling viewpoint, that's good.

I'd try to avoid peppering the chassis with too many holes, try to use what's there and only drill the bare minimum of extra holes.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Super busy at the minute but I want to give it a full strip and take some pics first. Then rebuild it making sure thread lock is where it should be and diffs are oiled etc, as I hate going out for that first blast to find a pin or clip etc comes off due to not being built correct .. Plus this will show guys in the future any areas to look at if buying one. Plus I have to mount the tyres and paint the shell

All this said I'm still waiting on the new motor I bought to arrive so until then it's not going nowhere :(.

I'll get some more pics up later these tyres are massive same as the rims you'll see what I mean later ;)

As for the brace I will be knocking something up prior to use just to be on the safe side .

So not done anything other than take it out the box and take some pics so i'll show you guys what its like 

DSC02862_zps7gnupuxp.jpg

The shell comes with a nice little cut out for the carry handle 

DSC02861_zpsgn4ltwtg.jpg

DSC02863_zpsltdrkl67.jpg

Motor mount which will either get a little modify or just remove the band strap 

DSC02864_zpsmdemxvqw.jpg

Shocks which don't come with a nut and bolt mount on the standoff which i think the first release did ?? 

DSC02865_zpsi2li9g75.jpg

Problem area on the chassis which needs some sort of brace ??

DSC02867_zps0r9nnig1.jpg

DSC02866_zpsasn9mvpe.jpg

New double locking wheel nuts 

DSC02879_zpsvealtpcv.jpg

Couple of shots of the boots up against some proline 3.8 mashers to show the size and some mt4 rims (3.8)

DSC02869_zps5tsxb9r1.jpg

DSC02868_zpsz2edgkik.jpg

DSC02870_zpswtplfb5v.jpg

DSC02871_zpstzconbyb.jpg

DSC02872_zps7h6cawhk.jpg

Looks like a new manual as well not the A4 printed paper as the rtr had previous 

DSC02880_zpshxta2ewd.jpg

Cant get a pic of the front cvds until i strip it but there the same as the hyper 7 by the looks 

Also got a red card from the postie so guessing my motor is in need of collecting  :yes: .. 

Need to get some paint and tyre glue and i should be ready to go might pass on the brace until i have given it some thought and run it as is for now .. One thing i will say is the full length plate is not the way to go as it poses other problems like losing the ability to change your gearing without a major strip down  :shockingscary: got a few idea's but nothing im overly keen on 

Despite the chassis "issue" I am leaning towards this being my next car :)

I have got some bits on the way :thumbsup:  one would be a simple bolt on fix (maybe) the others would require a bit more work.. I have yet to come across an rc that doesn't need some tinkering .. 

Agree, the steering links are protected by the servo saver. I'd be more interested in finding deletes for the rear, same as the Savvy. True-track type of thing. This will be a weak-point, just as it is on all other MTs that have rear tie-rods.

Are you sure there's no slipper? Seems strange to have no slipper AND no CD. You usually have one or the other.