• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Problems with Kyosho Scorpion xxl

Leeb

I'm having a bloody nightmare with this thing. Random cut outs, problems starting and sounds really boggy at low revs. I've tried putting the hsn all the way closed then going back to factory but no matter how much I tightened it it never came to a stop. Got the needle back to where I think it should be and it's really inconsistent. Adjusting the needle isn't making a difference. Will run ok for a few minutes then cut out. I suspect it's overheating.

Have cleaned and re-oiled the filter, checked everything I can think off. This has only started to become apparent after the initial 2 tanks of engine break in.

Couple of questions has any one else had similar issues and what fuel are you using ?

It's meant to be 2 full turns from fully closed, I turned it more than that and never stopped. The odd thing is turning it back towards factory does make a difference but never gets to that sweet spot. Could be a bad thread I suppose. I got it from modelsport i'm going to ring them during the week.

You should be able to gently turn the screw in ( clockwise) and when it's fully closed, you will feel resistance.

at this point ...STOP.

Carry on and you stop screwing in and start screwing up! The thread is brass and fine, so it strips really easily. If it has stripped, then odds on it's not sealing anymore and giving you a nasty air leak. This will give the problems you describe. Poor low speed running, overheating, cutting out.

For a big block engine, I'd always run a good quality 25% nitro fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this may sound like madness but have you tried it richer as I found byron fuel to be very Smokey . so it looks rich but its not . also the car sounds like its hunting as you slow down also a sign of being a bit lean

this may sound like madness but have you tried it richer as I found byron fuel to be very Smokey . so it looks rich but its not . also the car sounds like its hunting as you slow down also a sign of being a bit lean

I've tried it richer, leaner and adjusting the idle really doesn't seem to do owt. Before I started using byron it just wasn't happy at all, now it starts easy and will run and run without cutting out but I can't find a decent tune. Just going to have to keep at it but it's taking forever.

Which Byron was smoky?

I found Byron Race the exact opposite, and had to take care getting the setting right, and not seeing much / any wisps / smoke unless just pulling off - that was with a ZR.32 Spec2 in my LST2 / Raminator.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Which Byron was smoky?

I found Byron Race the exact opposite, and had to take care getting the setting right, and not seeing much / any wisps / smoke unless just pulling off - that was with a ZR.32 Spec2 in my LST2 / Raminator.

Al.

Same for me, I found Byrons Race to have nigh on no smoke at all.

• 4 years later...