• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mistakes were made

Thunderwolf

first real run with my hong nor x2 buggy on a 6s lipo pack. holy crap does it fly, both figuratively and literary, reckon i'm getting about 55mph out of her at this point and she has enough torque to pull wheelies from a stand still, was even getting 15 - 20 foot high jumps covering a good 30-40 feet in distance as well.

until one jump on the crest of a mount caused a roll, one of several i'll admit but a odd noise came up after this one sounded like the gears weren't engaging correctly but it would still move so i drove it over to me to take a look.

got it too me and once next to me i lifted up the rear to have a look at the motor, as i did so i mistakenly blipped the throttle, the first thing i noticed was a hell of a load of sparks, needless to say the shell and power came off quicker than i could change my underwear.

my constant problem with my battery tray and straps had seen a strap come of, pulling the wires towards the chassis, and directly next to the spur gear and...well the pics will explain what happened next:

DSC08903.jpg

DSC08902.jpg

DSC08905.jpg

Ohh nasty few Sparks there.

you could say that, there were enough to make my speech quite colourful while taking the shell off, much to the surprise of my mate who was with me judging by the look he had

Not good. ..i use cable ties to keep everything away from rotating parts if I can. ...is the esc dead? ?

esc seems fine, it was able to drive all the way over to me, the sound i heard obviously was the sparks and not the gears, which probably just made it worse anyway.

the title comes from the fact i knew the straps come off every time i run the car, i usually trap them under the strap for this very reason but today i didn't for what ever reason, normally it slides off and the wires are left in place.

couldn't get them out of the gap without them sparking so i had to do the plaster option and hold the battery pull quick and fast and hope for the best.

spur gear can be saved with a file, the esc wires are shot but a quick cut and resolder they are good, battery connectors and wires are totally fine, but blackened from the heat but otherwise fine

it does make the point that i have got to get a more suitable battery tray fitted, this one is just asking for trouble.....i could stop doing the jumps but thats no fun.

Edited by Thunderwolf

throw pictures of how its fitted with battery in tray from above so i can see whats happening in my head. 

grab a poopy bit of right angled plate plastic , a little drill, and 3x4 nuts n capture bolts.

you wanna counter sink these.

use the L shaped plastic sheet plate to make a barrier guard, use a couple three nuts n bolts to fasten it.

use a small quick release zip tie and a couple holes drilled into the face of the plate. run the cable tie trough.

Now when you install battery lock it down with straps and route cable to that ziptie holder and secure.

being a plate it can touch up against the plastic and wear this away and not the silicon cabling , so the gear box like so with a L plate protector  OL

throw pictures of how its fitted with battery in tray from above so i can see whats happening in my head.

thanks for the tips fella, already working on a temp fix.

you want pics of how it normally strapped in or how it was before the spur turn saw blade?

you could say that, there were enough to make my speech quite colourful while taking the shell off, much to the surprise of my mate who was with me judging by the look he had

esc seems fine, it was able to drive all the way over to me, the sound i heard obviously was the sparks and not the gears, which probably just made it worse anyway.

the title comes from the fact i knew the straps come off every time i run the car, i usually trap them under the strap for this very reason but today i didn't for what ever reason, normally it slides off and the wires are left in place.

couldn't get them out of the gap without them sparking so i had to do the plaster option and hold the battery pull quick and fast and hope for the best.

spur gear can be saved with a file, the esc wires are shot but a quick cut and resolder they are good, battery connectors and wires are totally fine, but blackened from the heat but otherwise fine

it does make the point that i have got to get a more suitable battery tray fitted, this one is just asking for trouble.....i could stop doing the jumps but thats no fun.

I'd go for the losi 8e tray...3 secure strap locations and plenty big enuff for 4 - 5 - 6s lipos...We run the losi tray in 4 of out our 6 bl rc's..trays r 10quid each.. Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321573532965&alt=web I'm sure jemodals sell them Edited by evssv

thanks for the tips fella, already working on a temp fix.

you want pics of how it normally strapped in or how it was before the spur turn saw blade?

normally strapped in like you would everyday use bashing etc etc. 

seeing the battery lay from above gives you an idea where the shift starts. 

battery slips or the cabling starts to flap. 

the side guard plate is a handy thing, it does mean putting a couple holes in chassis battery tray side where center diff lays.

it looks carp, but its doing a job keeping rubbish out, like wires, fingers, stones etc. 

depending on what you want yourself, its just finding something to act as that scrape/skuff plate guard. al old housing from an old 27mhz receiver.

something like that is pre formed in a decent shape some nifty eyeball work and a pair o sissors / knife you can craft something else.

use something easy to get hands on to. if this problem is rife and happens alot it means the plate gets skuffed and needs replacing every so often.

a less destructive way is adding loops to your straps. it means your gonna have to remember back to them school sewing lessons ( yeah as a kid they taught us to sew to ).

an old bit of strip cloth and 20m sewing up you can add loops along the strap. when battery is in place and stapped down you slip the cables through the loops you fashoined

on the strap , two straps say one front and rear, you can add two loops front an rear.

slide cable through front loop nd through rear loop then hook to esc cable.

we tend to go hardmod on rc's we never see much softmodding like adjustments to strapping , adding capture /control loops to webbing straps etc etc.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

just behind the losi marking on those straps would be an idea place for storeage loops of the power wires. 

means the front strap is fully locked down and gripped, and the loop can be fed with powerblock to keep it away from other areas. 

thats so simple and would make losi straps very popular to . tiz a shame straps have no fixing loops

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

normally strapped in like you would everyday use bashing etc etc.

DSC08908.jpg

i obviously can't plug the red wire in at but you get the idea, its all fairly secure if you shake it by had but its a different story when it landing jumps, lot more g force involved

DSC08908.jpg

i obviously can't plug the red wire in at but you get the idea, its all fairly secure if you shake it by had but its a different story when it landing jumps, lot more g force involved

I never fill 2 straps is enuff tbh....that's y I like the losi tray..would b intresting to get sum real g meassuments from a aravege 20 min bash. ..sum proper jumps and sum proper bad landings. .. Edited by evssv