• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

whats a good quality brushless combo for ms-01d vip ii ?

steve71075

hi , i have a an mst ms-01d vip ii on the way to me and need a motor and esc .

having never owned a brushless setup before , i've been doing some reading and over various forums and seems i need a sensored setup somewhere between 7.5t - 13.t turn . 

i'm planning on using 1.82cs and will be running on carpet in a fairly confined space approx 7m x 3m mainly for the moment . the chassis looks too nice to run outside on asphalt but i might if i fit a protector and can find some smooth clean concrete locally . i'm within driving distance of both soul rc and wycombe so would like to visit both at some point .

i see most people run 7.5t - 10.5t and then quite a few are then turning down the punch and throttle by some quite high % and wondered what the advantages of doing that rather than running a 13.5t or even a 17.5t . from my understanding these will be smoother as well as having better run times or do these just not have enough power for larger tracks ? 

i've put a wanted ad up on here so will see what comes up , but with the chassis turning up middle of next week hopefully . i'm pretty keen to get everything here and built up ready for use so am also looking at new combos . so far i'm looking at the rc omg combo in 10.5t or 13.5t or speed passion reventon r , s or pro in 10.5t or 13.5t .

any others to consider or better options ? 

thanks

steve

great just what i wanted to hear . is it the "r" you run in an fxx ? i think i have read your thread as i had my heart set on the exact same chassis until this ms-01d popped up at a good price .

the reventon r 13.5t combo is the model i'm looking at on ebay as you say . one of the sellers is just down the road from me and carries savox 1241 servos so i could pop over and pick both up at the same time and get a bigger discount hopefully . i'm just waiting to hear back from him confirming it has the silver esc rather than blue .

so you happy with the performance in both chassis , smooth , reliable , enough power ? what gearing do you use on the cs sakura ?

thanks for the help

steve

Yeah it's the R.

It's very smooth, power is there when you want it.

Here's a quick clip from the other day,

18t pinion 80t spur standard pulleys.

Black car is me, Orange is a sprint.

I run a 10.5t in my MS-01, so does a friend.

We both have plenty of power and torque.

We looked at 13.5 motors but went with the thinking that we could dial the power down but if it ran out on a higher turn motor, we couldn't find more from anywhere. Not that you'd often run out of puff on a 13.5.

I run around 65/70% throttle on mine.

My friends is the Revention R combo and it does feel smooth. The RC OMG package feels better but it depends how much you want to spend.

26t pinion? I think I read somwhere that 21+ pinions don't fit.

But I've never fitted anything other than the 18 so I'm not 100%

Could be keyboard warriors online but thought I'd mention it

oh no hopefully not , at least i can get another locally if the 26t does not fit .

took me ages searching yesterday trying to find out what size pinion size i needed and did find a thread on drccentral where one of guys from soul says that a 24t -28t is used with the standard 88t spur . theres also a chart posted in the thread that seems to say the same so hopefully it will be ok .

thanks

steve

They're very good, so smooth.

I thought my Hobbywing combo was smooth but then I tried a Keyence kit on the same chassis and the difference was unreal. If it wasn't so expensive I'd get one, but mine will have to do for now.

• 2 weeks later...

i run the SP reventon s with a 10.5 motor. they are decent for the cash. The acuvance are very very nice but so expensive i cant warrant one in my ms01.

You may want to check out the yokomo brush combo they do. my friend runs one in his ms01 and its very nice. but around 100quid they are cheap enough.

personally i think the reventon s at around 65 quid from model sport you cant go wrong

i run the SP reventon s with a 10.5 motor. they are decent for the cash. The acuvance are very very nice but so expensive i cant warrant one in my ms01.

You may want to check out the yokomo brush combo they do. my friend runs one in his ms01 and its very nice. but around 100quid they are cheap enough.

personally i think the reventon s at around 65 quid from model sport you cant go wrong

What's the benefits of the reventon r over the s?