• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/10th Modified vs Stock Motors

obious

Hi All,

Just a little bit curious with regards to modified vs stock motors.

I've got a Team Orion 13.5t VST2 Pro currently in my T4 '14 and while it's pretty nippy, I can't help thinking that a modified motor would be a lot faster.

Is there a big difference between speeds in a 3.5-5.5t motor when compared to a 13.5t motor?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Touring car racing went to 13.5t for a reason, which is that yes 3.5t modifieds are faster, but they are also far too fast for most people to actually use! They were originally designed for use with 5 NiMH cells (ie 6V) not 7.4V lipo power.

You will notice that on ebay etc brushless motors tend to be cheap if they are around 13.5/10.5t (commonly used in racing so lots for sale) then rare and expensive between 8.5t and 5.5t and finally dirt cheap for 3.5t or 4.5t motors. But nobody buys the 3.5t's even when they are cheap, because they are also pretty much useless.

You need a good esc, good batteries and you end up with a car you can't control which when it crashes at speed leads to a big repair bill. Those motors on ebay? All the result of people trying to make their car faster than they can cope with.

I run a 4 turn 7900kv motor in my Vaterra V100 but I've had to beef everything up to take the power because its savage, most of the time it only sees 50-55% because its mental. If you want reliability, stick to Simons words. Thing is, its

better to have acceleration over speed, its this illusion that gives you a sense of speed, even 40mph is a mental speed in reality for a 1:10 tourer so sticking a motor in that can power past 50-60mph is ludicrous

but I cant say a lot, I run a 4t :D

2 more downsides to a low turn motor, less runtime and less gearing option due to lack of torque plus timing is a big thing too.

Edited by NuttyProfessor

I don't have a lot of experience. I do agree with the acceleration over speed bit (that's why it's fun to change your gear ratio).

Did have a lot of fun bashing a 10.5t motor and moved to a 6.5 turn, it's fast (not really too fast) but the runtimes are lower. I think overall I prefer the 10.5 though not sure I could go back now since I'm used to the high speeds of the 6.5. I changed the gearing a bit.

I have an 8.5 also I'll be trying in a few days hopefully. It's a good one too, looking forward to it. I have a nosram 4t sitting in a box lol.