• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Gear Mesh

Stomper90

I have never really had this problem before but it just doesn't look and feel right in my Hong Nor Sabre e. On my Slash 4wd and Mini 8ight it was easy as you can easily see both gears and adjust accordinfly. I put the motor in the roller I recently bought today. I just can't tell if it's right and I can't see it properly either. When I use my finger to rotate the spur it feels notchy as it seems to jump from magnetic point to another. Also it's the first time I have had a metal spur. To be honest I am frightened to connect it up and try the throttle for fear of shredding and some hideous noise. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Have you tried the paper method? As you can't see the gears, then this method 'should' work.

Be prepared for a noisy run: metal to metal often sounds (to the untrained ear) as if the car will explode imminently, lol. You'll become accustomed to it :)

You have the elliptical mount?  I'm about to use it for the first time on an X1 conversion, prob early next week.  On the usual linear mounts I usually ram it in as far as she goes, back it off a small amount and lock off.  Test by checking a single spur gear has a small amount of rock when it's engaged evenly between two pinion gears.  I do it this way rather than the opposite precisely due to the 'notchiness' of BL motors.  If I can't line the teeth up due to the notch I'll hold the pinion in position with a finger and then test the rock.

Edited by capri-boy

Yes It's the elliptical one. I'll try what you all described and see how I get on. I wish there was a mesh fairy that could pop over and do it. Does it have to be a metal spur?

Pinion?  Think the spur on the X3e is composite.  

Shameless plug here but if you need any spares, cheap, shout up.  I bought the X3e today to steal parts to convert my X1 Pro to brushless.  Shocks have been sold, and motor mount / tray i'm having otherwise everything else is available atm. 

The spur on the roller I bought is definitely metal. It came with a host of spares already but when I break something I havnt got on its maiden outing I'll give you a bell lol.

Np, maybe yours was the Pro version?  CNC shock towers and yellow chassis braces?

I've a quick play with the mount today, when removing the stock leopard, the elliptical design is a nice idea but certainly makes meshing more troublesome.

OP I'd suggest removing the one piece servo tray / rx box as it'll give you more viewing space.

Yeah I got good mesh but the pinion came loose despite loctite. I therefore took it off and reset it. This time it was obvious I had done it too tight, as when I set it on the ground you could push it but it would stop suddenly unless you really pushed it hard. Reset it again and all was good. However, in the midst of all this there were two losses of power and the esc was flashing red (LVC) I thought, but both batteries still had over 4v. Default cut out on the esc is 3.2v I think so don't know what was happening. Could it be the batteries? It was 2x2s 25c. On the positive side I did get it running and its got a lot of power. Hurts considerably more than the slash when it knocks into you leg. Daft thing of the day was fitting a servo saver when it already had one further down the steering assembly. Can you have too many? Slop wasnt particularly pronounced.

Yeah I got good mesh but the pinion came loose despite loctite. I therefore took it off and reset it. This time it was obvious I had done it too tight, as when I set it on the ground you could push it but it would stop suddenly unless you really pushed it hard. Reset it again and all was good. However, in the midst of all this there were two losses of power and the esc was flashing red (LVC) I thought, but both batteries still had over 4v. Default cut out on the esc is 3.2v I think so don't know what was happening. Could it be the batteries? It was 2x2s 25c. On the positive side I did get it running and its got a lot of power. Hurts considerably more than the slash when it knocks into you leg. Daft thing of the day was fitting a servo saver when it already had one further down the steering assembly. Can you have too many? Slop wasnt particularly pronounced.

Possibly your batteries are sagging too much under load.  Ahh Noj beat me.

Hence why the packs are triggering the lvc under load, as they're giving 100a max and the set up demands more powah!!

Point of note: HW lvc is known to be inaccurate, as in, cuts in early. Try dropping it to 3.0v, run (new) packs through and check the cell voltage with a separate cell checker as you go; 3.0v lvc 'should' see packs coming off at a nice 3.4v each :)

Go with what suits your set up and budget. One pack will look neater as there are fewer wires hanging about, less likely to suffer cable damage when bashing too.

One thing to bear in mind is cell failure, as in, a cell dropping out in a 2s pack vs a cell dropping out in a 4s pack....2s packs are cheaper to replace ;) Compare prices between the two, a 4s may be cheaper?

Providing your charger can deal with the 4s pack of course, always a consideration :)

I've had the same consideration battery wise, went with 2x2S as I could use them in other models, though running 2x2 has seemed more problematic re securing them better and cable routing.  It's only me and anecdotally too  but using single packs seems seems more punchy than 2x2s with everything else being equal.