• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1st 5th scale-Baja rebuild...5b ss project....

Yoshimoto

Picked up my 1st 5th scale from a buddy this week-hes spent a few quid on various bits for it but im not sure they will be staying on it...

The car was well dirty and is showing some signs of use but is fairly solid.

The big issue for me is the spur mesh-its got a alloy box and clutch carrier,1 piece spur/brake plate,machined spur and pinion from Integy but i cant quite suss out if theres a problem with the gear mesh.

As supplied it was fitted with a 19x55 gear combo and he has stated that it wasnt quite revving out on grass with this higher speed combo on.He went to this gearing to calm the wheelies down and get max distance on the jumps at his local BMX track.

During the initial check over it was clear that there was some binding with the mesh but grass and debris was present in the teeth.Ive swapped to the 17x55 17x57 set-up but the binding is still present.If i tap the spur with a screw driver handle the binding will clear on the bench but im a little concerned that this is a gear killing instinct thats built in to the nasty Integy parts.

Any ideas anyone? or better still experience with Integy on this car?

The rebuild is coming on nicely other than this and there is a lot of high value spares included so its not being returned to him just yet but this needs sorting before i get any closer to running it for real.

Have i bought a lemon???

Yoshi
Edited by Yoshimoto

first is you need to make sure the gears add up to 74, which means for a 17t pinion you need a 57t spur

2nd, it sound like you problem is either with the gears in the gearbox, the brakes, or with the drive cups.

take the pinion off and see if it still does it, if it stops then your mate may have missing out the spur spacer.

if yes then put it on the floor, push the back end down to the floor and let it rise back up to rest position, then roll it along the floor and see if you have any binding then, if no your drive cups are probably worn.

if it still does it take the off brake mount and pads of and try again, if it stops then your brakes are binding, if it continues there is sometiing wrong with the gears in the gear box, most likely a busted bearing or 2 going by the state its in

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Thunderwolf, tooth count is 74 and the entire gearbox has just been rebuilt by my own fair hand,brake is free and all bearings are silky smooth and fresh,drive cups are as new too-ive been through the lot and im happy that everything is good.

The purple shim is present and in good order too-this is definitely a spur/pinion issue-although the pair i have fitted at the mo are box fresh. 

Im going to try some Green Slime on the spur dampers next before i swap back to stock clutch/housing and clutch/pinion/spur as the mesh does free up like i said when i give it a tap or two.....if i cant cure it with the ally stuff thats on it ill be looking at discount on the price or give him it back.

I have read on another forum of users going down a tooth on the pinion with this set up but only on some clone 5b's-sounds like a well iffy fix...

If theirs one thing you need to learn in the large scale world, it's not fit Integy parts to your RC.

I know people have success with their stuff on smaller RC's, but I'm yet to hear of a true success story from anything Integy related on large scale.

Their stuff is badly made and often very weak and under par for such a heavy RC.

Don't take that the wrong way though, but you may be better off simply swapping back to a stock pinion and spur.

By rights, the spur should always be the weak point in the drivetrain too so the last thing you want their is a steel spur.

Plastic, either Hostile, HPI or KM :)

Ive swapped to the 17x55 set-up

first is you need to make sure the gears add up to 74, which means for a 17t pinion you need a 57t spur

tooth count is 74

either you keyboard kills are lacking or your maths is, because i make 17t + 55t = 72t

new gears not meshing correctly is fairly common, not all of them a a perfect circle, and therefore require a bit of running to get them to mesh perfectly, this goes for the gears in the gear box as well as the brake pads, which i would expect to be your problem.

and as above, integy is fine on the smaller cars, but as the car size goes up the suitability of their cars goes down dramatically, for large scale parts they are only good for zero - low stress areas, or a car that is never used but puts the wife's silver wear to shame.

Should be 19/55 :)

As long as the layshaft and clutch bearings are in good order...and the spacer is there to keep the gears properly aligned, then the mesh is fixed and not adjustable.

The only reason you would get binding on a 17/57 , 18/56 or 19/55 setup is poorly machined gears.

Personally, I run Hostile plastic spur with metal pinion, and I have never stripped a spur without some part failing and the damage being a result of failure elsewhere. The mesh should be silky smooth. There are some random combinations that HPI say work, but sticking with the 'main' ones, the mesh should always be good unless something else is wrong.

As you have rebuilt the rest, renewed the bearings and checked all the other bits are smooth....bin the Integy spur and fit a Hostile or a stock plastic one. If 19/55 is too tall...then go 18/56. It's a good option for a stock 27-29cc motor where pickup is more important than outright speed.

I avoid all things Integy. If I want expensive cheese, I'll buy a good Parmesan or a fine matured Stilton.

• Like 1

Ooops..yeah your right-tooth count is correct just im frazzled trying to get this sorted before my new boots arrive hopefully soon,i have an integy 17x57 and 19x55 combo.

I tried a little slime on the dampers and noticed a small improvement but not enough.

Theres one last thing to try before i throw dollarz at it...im going to bolt it together in order,ive not had a manual up till now and can imagine that with my sausage fingered rebuild there could be fractional movement on the engine/box/housing placements-good news is that after slackening the two screws at the pinion side of the gear plate the mesh is fine.....try again-in order  :yucky:

Regardless i have written the 11th commandment today-though shalt not strip the Baja...never again-till something actually breaks anyway-my lil power washer will be working hard for its living  :yes:

Yoshi

• 4 weeks later...

Nah!.... its as originally predicted the clutch bearings are shot :xd: trashed by the tired main bearings on the crank-the binding was intermittent until the assembly was on the bench overnight when it seized up completely.

40 hours plus of spare time between work and family and a large parts list later-im happier but for sore hands......

Its had new....rear tyres and bead-locks one wheel nut,one engine mount spacer,a gear cover,plug guard,roll cage,two bottles of shock oil,wing joint post,rear suspension f+r hinge pin plates,two 5mm counter sunk washers,four wheel bearings a exhaust rubber,two shock boots-and a drive boot-one large handful of fasteners.

Finally the troublesome clutch housing has been treated to SKF bearings along with the main bearings and seals.

Its worth noting-the std clutch carrier is on for now with a HPi pinion and clutch bell with the Integy hardened spur.

The whole engine response and top speed overall have greatly improved from previous,since the rebuild and pipe change its much snappier with better throttle response and earlier clutch bite.   :yes:   :yes:   :yes:

The Dominator pipe was the biggest ball ache to sort-it had been rattling around the back of the buggy for some time.

Both header,silencer and mounting lug needed some considerable reshaping to fit perfectly.

Pull start was a bore to strip the white paint from and still looks rough along with a few other bits but its nice.

Surprisingly the DDM pipe is quieter than the other i had fitted too.

It still wants a shell,another shock boot,a drive shaft boot too,and im probably gonna dump the alloy gearbox.
One thing is sure these things are bloody awesome- :yes:

Yoshimoto  :thumbsup:
Edited by Yoshimoto