• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone need headphone advice? I'm your guy (headphone discussion thread)

ostewart

Just thought maybe some of you might be in to headphones and maybe some might need advice.

Post up what headphones you've got or just discuss what you listen to.

I run a headphone review blog, been doing it for a few years now, if anyone wants to take a look: www.soundperfectionreviews.com

Currently more than happy with my AKG 45X's, I rarely use cans at home as although they can provide excellent quality they just don't do it for me like a good pair of floorstanders, plus my hearing is far from what it once was.

I can heartily recommend them to anyone, just avoid like the plague the vastly inferior 430's - AKG hit gold with the 45X's and to look at the 430's you'd expect similar, alas you'll be sadly disappointed.

Yeah higher end AKG's are pretty good if you want quite a clean sound, some of the lower budget AKG's can be great portable headphones too, I modded a pair of K518's to the max, that was fun.

I use German Maestro's for my home (GMP 400) and portable listening (GMP 8.35D), and IEM's I'm waiting for my cutom made ones to come through, and waiting for a replacement pair of Audiofly AF-160.

I have a modest hifi setup, Marantz PM-44 MKII SE, Marantz CD-52 SE, Dual CS435-1 Turntable with Shure M97Xe cartridge, iFi Audio iPhono phono pre-amp, Misson 702e floor standing speakers.

I bought some sennheiser HD25-1 about 10 years ago when doing a lot of DJ'in and have been used a hell of a lot in that time. Now used for everything and yet to demo anything that sounds better (to me). The only down side is they are not very loud on a phone or tablet. The only parts I've had to replace are the ear pads and would still pass as vgc :)

I use my Beyerdynamic DT100's for pretty much anything, mainly for music production and recording though, got the ones with 400ohm impedance so they can handle plenty of signal before distorting. Only downside is they are quite low in volume, I'm looking in to getting a headphone amp for them though

Edited by ReggieC

Had my Sennheiser HD-650s for a while and really like them. Not too heavy and have a nice open sound. Added a decent headphone cable which does give a slightly cleaner sound, although it was 100 quid. Use a Creek headphone amp. I like this set-up and feel no need to improve on it. It's good enough for me.

John

HD650_zpsmuuwuyme.jpg

Ive been think about getting some new earphones as I use them most days and I can never find my htc ones (really good). I don't want to spend loads but the flat cable is a must as they never get tangled up.

Thanks

Ive been think about getting some new earphones as I use them most days and I can never find my htc ones (really good). I don't want to spend loads but the flat cable is a must as they never get tangled up.

Thanks

The lower end Brainwavz (S0) would suit your needs. SoundMAGIC E10 would be a good choice but don't have flat cables like the Brainwavz do.

Seems some of you have some nice headphones, John nice cable, it is worth it if you like everything else in your setup. I find Sennheisers to be too laid back and warm for my liking.

Reggie, what kind of headphone amp are you looking at? Budget? do you want a completely neutral amp or one that adds a little colour to the sound?

Tatts the HD-25 are classic headphones, and used in the field all the time. I like how you can repair them easily and parts are accessible. If you are ever looking to upgrade, check out the German Maestro GMP 8.35D, my mum's friend who is a DJ used to use the HD-25, now he had the German Maestro's and loves them after my recommendation, they are bomb proof also:

Hebby apple earbuds are not the way to go, yes the new earpods are better than the old ones, but nowadays you dont need to spend much to get a lot in terms of sound, check out the brand Dunu, excellent build quality and sound for the price, SoundMAGIC E10 are also a very popular choice.

Here are my German Maestro GMP 8.35D modded with dual mini XLR, and a cable from Forza AudioWorks (worth around

Edited by ostewart

i use some monster turbine in ear  for my ipod    also my HIFI is a audiolab 8000A amp also a audio innovations series 300 valve amp  a sony 930 minidisc player  & a pioneer pd-s904 cd player  and speakers are B&W cdm1SE on super dreadnought stands.  no turntable at the moment because of the kids.   but i have owned alot over the years.   when it is safe to own one again then i might go for a SME

A lot does depend on what you're listening to. With the HD-650s I found the sound a bit too coloured until I used them with the Creek amp. Great for accoustic stuff. Funnily enough Ilike my old HD-580s for more general use.

John

Very true. My German maestro GMP 400's are very flat as they are studio headphones but again depends on the music. They are incredibly detailed but could do with a tiny bit more body.

That is why I use my iFi iTube, a tube buffer, it adds a little bit of tube warmth and takes away the harshness.

My desktop setup is iFi Gemini cable > iFi iDAC > iFi iTube > iFi iCan > headphones

Edited by ostewart

i didn't really listen to much else when i got the turbines.  lol  i know on ear would be better but i cannot stand using them.  also playing music on a ipod is not going to be to good. lol 

On-ear isn't always better. I use in ears a lot, and cannot wait for my customs to arrive. In ear is much more practical when out and about.

I always use Comply tips too, helps a ton with comfort and getting a good seal.

I use my iPod Classic 160gb a lot, the headphone out isn't bad, but when I can be bothered I use the line out to my JDS Labs C5D amp.

Over ear gives a more spacious sound usually (there are exceptions) and in ear are usually more detailed and intimate sound (of course it depends on budget and a lot of things)

Edited by ostewart

I find my apple supplied headphones more than adequate if they break I will look into a new set but don't think it's worth shelling out for something I get for free with my phone every year....

My dad on the other hand spends a fortune on hifi stuff. I will try and find out what speakers and amps he's using at the moment

He's running some 5year old krell amps a home made preamp and magnaplaner speakers.

I didn't ask what models but I know he's spent a fortune on his setup

Edited by Madmini

most headphone sets i tried were just for bass freaks i think.  lol  i don't mind bass but when it seems to overpower everything else it just get annoying.  im a real sound buff i do really listen to the music  im also into a lot of different kinds of music to getting a good pair seems to be a issue. 

I tend to go for more neutral headphones, then use my amps bass boost if needed. As neutral headphones sound better with all genres. As I listen to lots of different music

Edited by ostewart

Headphones:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

In Ears:

Sure SE215

I use the ATs mostly for convenience - Sod's law says as soon as I've got my Sures positioned nicely my wife needs to discuss something important :-|

The Sures sound great to me, loads of space and sparkle and enough bass for most things. Only issue I have is that it takes me 5 minutes to get them on!

I tend to only listen through my phone or iPad these days which is a shame - my Arcam, Nad and Rega 3 is in the loft and the floor standers are long gone. I'll get it all down one day...maybe.

I considered a headphone amp for the iPad to improve my Netflix, movies and music but again, not sure of the benefits. Might pay to get my ears sorted first, a mate had his done and he horrified me with the details of Christ knows what was removed. >~p

Sod's law says as soon as I've got my Sures positioned nicely my wife needs to discuss something important :-|

i can be in the kitchen on the PC for hours and my better half will not say a word to me.  but as soon as i watch something using the headphones she starts talking.    they must know  lol

• Like 1

Motorheadphones, apparently the band had input into the final sound!? Whatever, as in-ears they are excellent for my needs, equally as good as the tatty old senheisers I was using on the nano and the case is shaped like a bullet.

Easily pleased ;)