• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my savage flux ,, what chassis? what look to go for? now done

scotty1986

hi all now ive got a savage flux on the way to me ,,( thanks again bigjimknickers) ,, ive been looking at hopups etc but i have a few questions i want to ask before i start getting bits

reason ive wanted a flux for a while is they seem like a truck that can take a good bashing ,, backflips in the air is a big plus as i like big air time etc plus have good aftermarket parts support ,, anyways i always thought keep it as a truck when i get one but ive recently came across this image on google and well i love the looks of it

19847450.jpg

19847453.jpg

19847451.jpg

anyways i plan to keep the original tranny as i think going the cd diff route would take some of the savageness (is that a word ?? lol) away from it,, so if i was to fit the alza xl 5b length chassis,, innovative rc buggy shock towers,, maybe lst/muggy shocks ,,  would the truck still be able to pull backflips in the air quite easy ??

i know the truck already has integy rear tie rod deletes,, hd servo saver spring ,, alza slipper locker,, hot racing hx conversion,,  and my plan is to add the xl length 5b chassis,,irc buggy towers,, xl length axles,, rear wing and either rpm arms or the madmax strong arm kits as i had good success with mad max baja arms,, oh got spekky radio ger and a savox 1256tg to drop in it when it arrives

so if i fit the above mods so you think this will make a decent handling savage ,, that will still pop wheelys,, do mad back flips in the air ,, and be relatively tough??

Edited by scotty1986

I like that look but can only imagine the crap everywere more so running without a shell...can't really coment as I ain't really bashed my savvy yet...Ince I get the rear tie delets mine is pretty much urs mod wise. .Ok no slipper locker or hd spring as of yet but there on the to do list...

Edited by evssv

id probably get some thin lexan to add to the inside of the chassis to add to a colour theme and keep the crap out

I'm sure sum one was doing this a while back with a irc or alza chassis...not sure how he got on..I know the temps went up a bit I thk I remember reading. .spouse it depends were u put said lexan to.. Edited by evssv

I'd think twice on using alloy shock towers, especially exposed as they are on a buggy chassis. Aluminium is a stiff material and it'll transmit a lot of energy to down into the bulkhead. A plastic shock tower will flex absorbing the energy. The shock mount on the images above looks very weak, can't imaging it would last long without bracing.

Edited by fornowagain

It's not the tower that'll be the problem but the bulkhead. When you flip the buggy and impact the tower it's rock solid and has a large turning moment from its length. All of which will sooner than later crack the fixing point on the bulkhead. Is the base car an original flux, not an upgrade?  Because then at least it'll have composite bulkheads which are a bit stronger. Personally with a buggy I'd consider alloy bulkheads or at least bracing back into the chassis.

If you must go the alloy shock tower route then look for the hellfire mod mate

Best mod out theyre by far and dont run without a shell on 6s and try to backflip it itll end up chipped etc as theyres no protection

I'll stick with mostly stock plastics tbh...more forgiving and alot cheaper to replace...i never bash without a shell... Edited by evssv

hi all now ive got a savage flux on the way to me ,,( thanks again bigjimknickers) ,, ive been looking at hopups etc but i have a few questions i want to ask before i start getting bits

reason ive wanted a flux for a while is they seem like a truck that can take a good bashing ,, backflips in the air is a big plus as i like big air time etc plus have good aftermarket parts support ,, anyways i always thought keep it as a truck when i get one but ive recently came across this image on google and well i love the looks of it

19847450.jpg

19847453.jpg

19847451.jpg

anyways i plan to keep the original tranny as i think going the cd diff route would take some of the savageness (is that a word ?? lol) away from it,, so if i was to fit the alza xl 5b length chassis,, innovative rc buggy shock towers,, maybe lst/muggy shocks ,, would the truck still be able to pull backflips in the air quite easy ??

i know the truck already has integy rear tie rod deletes,, hd servo saver spring ,, alza slipper locker,, hot racing hx conversion,, and my plan is to add the xl length 5b chassis,,irc buggy towers,, xl length axles,, rear wing and either rpm arms or the madmax strong arm kits as i had good success with mad max baja arms,, oh got spekky radio ger and a savox 1256tg to drop in it when it arrives

so if i fit the above mods so you think this will make a decent handling savage ,, that will still pop wheelys,, do mad back flips in the air ,, and be relatively tough??

Well for starter if you want wheelies out of the xl you have to undergear i havent managed to pop mine on its back wheels yet running 6s used 18t/20t pinny with 44t spur

The best shock hopup is to put hellfire shock springs in (stiffer ) you will need to adjust oil to suit (could be part the reason mine doesnt stand on its ass ive fairly stiff rears (wheelies become boring and you want a better handling truck ) hellfire shock mounts can be fotted with little trimming

well ive ordered the above chassis ,, roof and rear dogbone ,, ordered the savage strong arm kit as i dont see anybody running them so ill give them a try,, got my 23mm hexs on and 40 series dish wheels with proline tires,, deanodised the rear tie rod deletes and started strippin it and giving it a good clean for when the new bits arrive

Sounds like it'll be a sweet truck or buggy lol. Would a shortend or full size 5b shell fit.

I'm not positive but wasn't it bigjim who did a savi nitro to flux conversion with the hip kit? If so you might not have the composition bulkheads.

I could be wrong tho I do get bigjim and another member mixed up alot but I remember they struggled to get the full hpi kit and even then it was missing parts so he had to chase them up. Might be worth asking tho.

I've been reading on losi and alot say the same about alloy plates and braces even rear hubs being a waste of money. But I always thought these are the safe alloy places.

Then again it also depends who you talk to cos alloy arms are a big no no but I've loved them on my revo I snapped plastic ones way too easy. Not even bent a hinge pin with the alloys tho. With rc it's just better to do stuff yourself and see I think lol

I love alloy parts but do worry about breaking them and either going back to std part anyway or forking out again for the upgrade. Not many winners in rc lol.

those innovative towers look like some of the beefiest I've seen even in 5th scale standards lol. Can you use all the holes for different shock set ups?

Are you tempted by the lst2 shocks for this they look amazing but I think I've read downsides to them.

When It's finished you should bring it over test it against one of my rcs nitro vs big brushless.

I spoke to someone who used that same chassis, he mounted the ESC upside down and bolted to the underside of the cab roof. I'm thinking of doing the same to mine. It keeps it tucked out of harms way.

im in need of  a couple of the plastic chassis braces if anyone has a couple they would like to donate so i can move the esc to the rear of the truck,,, and whats the easiest way to adjust the gear mesh as i cant get to 2 of the heads with the new chassis