• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

what motor for my slash 4x4

philbr

I bought a slash 4x4 roller for my son

I put a brushed system in it and it lasted about 10 minutes and bunt out.

I want a low cost (if possible) brushless motor. I am running 2S lipo's

As it is for my son I don't need to max out the top speed but want something reliable. The brushed system had a training mode that was very useful for my son and aloud me to turn it up when I wanted a go. what are my best options?

I think a hobby king 10th combo is what I need.

I see a higher Kv will give a higher top speed. does a lover kv give better torque or better acceleration or is the advantage of a lower kv just longer run time?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the trackstar combo and I am happy with the power output but I need some help programming the ESC

I bought the programmer so I could set the break on. The programmer shows two setting for breaks "inital break" and "drag break". Can some please expaine the difference to me. Also what ever setting I put on it does not seem to make any difference.

I did find on another tread how to calabrate the trigger but I cant get any breaks

Brakes are brakes.

Initial brakes is how much braking is applied as you start to apply braking.

Drag brake is applying a pre-set amount of braking when the throttle is at neutral. Racers use it more than bashers, most bashers turn it off.

You might not of calibrated it correctly, recheck the instructions.

Brakes are brakes.

Initial brakes is how much braking is applied as you start to apply braking.

Drag brake is applying a pre-set amount of braking when the throttle is at neutral. Racers use it more than bashers, most bashers turn it off.

You might not of calibrated it correctly, recheck the instructions.

Thank you that makes sence. I have the brakes working now more by luck than judgement

but the drag break still does not seem to have a huge affect even at 45%. It would be useful to me to have a good drag break for when my young son uses the model.

is the drag break normally not a very powerfull break

well having another play it seems the drag break does work it is just not very strong but it seems to work better for reverse than forward.

I guess I will have to just live with it

Yup, cos track star combos are rubbish!

Bought one to try out, glitchy, intermittent reverse, poor brakes and an auto lvc that brings packs off at 3.1v per cell.

I'll not buy another, quicrun/hobbywing all the way :)

• Like 1

If it's working to your liking, then run with it.

Monitor your cell voltages closely if using lipo, you won't know how accurate the LVC is until you've run it.

If it's working to your liking, then run with it.

Monitor your cell voltages closely if using lipo, you won't know how accurate the LVC is until you've run it.

It is not to my liking I wanted more drag break but it is set to max so I guess thats all I can get out of it

well I tried it out this afternoon the brakes stopped working and it turned out it lost calibration

then the enter button on my flysky gt3c tx broke.

I am new to rc cars but have had many planes over the years. I have always used budget electronics on the planes with few problems. its has not been the case for the car electronics

I found out its better to get quality electronics for cars first time round, rather than cheap and upgrade. I went through a couple of combos.

Hobbywing WP-SC8 + 3656 motor combo for around

Not all cheaper kit is poor...for me, having used good kit to begin with highlights lacking elements of cheaper kit, like the track star combo. Very popular and gets good reviews, c/f hobbywing or castle however....

Ran two 4wd slashes with wp8, 2650kv can, 3s and the revo mod1 slipper set up and spur. Bombproof, 4s capable when the mood suited too :)

Ouch! 90 quid delivered from UK eBay sellers ;)

Yeah it can be had cheaper....I do prefer knowing I am getting a high level of service from MS along with knowing I am supporting a local business too...hency why I ordered mine from MS. Service went out the window though when they sent me the wrong one LOL :doh: