• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D Printing Discussion

-BEZ-

Wow some awesome info here. I'm just getting into 3d printing.

Can't believe you can now 3d print entire laptops for music making:

https://all3dp.com/best-3d-printed-items-for-djs-music-producers/

Love to print this off for starters (Senna RC Car):

What kind of printer would you guys recommend? I don't want to do FLA as the results look too plasticy . . .

I'm thinking FDM based. Are there any good brands on the market?

Edited by tiptopchap

Ooo not been on here in a while. 

Got my printer up and running, all is pretty sweet. Have been printing out some big parts with minimal issues.

Finishing is a nightmare in PLA, a lot of sanding, but that's purely my fault as I could've filler primed and sanded which would've saved me a lot of time!!

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, tiptopchap said:

@ashleysmith That's awesome! The quality looks great. What printer did you use? Do you have any comments on the Form 2? I'm really looking forward to get a resin based printer. Pricey but I think quality difference vs a filament based printer would be night and day. Cheers!

Move very little experience with resin based printers, all I know (my boss has one) is that the resin needs to cure for 24h after the print, where filament printers just need to cool down and the part is good to go. You'll find that you don't get the filament ridges on a resin printer, or at least less obvious layering. 

Though if you run play around with nozzle size and layering you can achieve close results on a filament printer.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys melting temp of nylon filaments please ? 

gotta few repairs need doing on some of my scoot panels and do not wanna be hot solder iron welding the panel parts, would rather have the correct temp so i can melt run nylon into the areas of damage then run over with some wet n dry paper ( also need to add some copper stitching to stop splits/cracks expending more. 

i was on the side of around 190 -205 degree ( just shy of abs temps and a little above pla ) ?

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

Best temp for extruding nylon filament is about 245C so it's a question of if your extruder head is rated for that temp.

John

its more melting it. 

extruder , na buddy temp gun and a heat gun to i can heat up a few nylon zipties and dribble them into the cracks. then its a heatgun and a metal knife so i can smooth over and well up, then its a solder iron placed onto copper wires and allowing them heat sink ability of copper to self embed them into the plastics.

problem with solder iron plastic welding is the fumes are very very bad for ones health , highly poison when it burns hence just getting it hot enough to melt but not burn and cause heavy fuming. ( some little oik tryed to steal my indicator and bust up my front fairing cowl and all others i looked at are smashed up and missing chunks on flybay, so a repair job is in hand )

• 1 year later...

3d printing was 2016, vr was 2017 idk what's next. 

Tbh I don't nt really like 3d printed stuff. It's fun for a few times then left to rot when you realise you either pay £££££'s for a really good one or invest in a belt sander, then everything mechanical or structural always breaks. 

On 15/07/2018 at 19:36, rushboy2004 said:

Anyone still 3d printing or has the fad past now?

looking at getting one to play around with any suggestions?

Pick a budget and go from there. Take a look at this thread : https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/8vdpzl/purchase_advice_megathread_what_to_buy_who_to_buy/ which concerns itself with recommendations based on requirement and budget. I'm kind of tempted to try an Ender 3 as they get decent reviews and are pretty cheap, I believe a revised & improved version has just been released too.

What stops me is that I don't really have a need to print lots of stuff (I could easily find stuff to print though..) and don't really need yet another gadget to sink time in to. I have had a few little bits printed at 3dhubs.com, which is really cheap compared to sites like shapeways and 3dhubs have given great service so far. 

2 hours ago, Mark_C said:

What stops me is that I don't really have a need to print lots of stuff (I could easily find stuff to print though..) and don't really need yet another gadget to sink time in to. I have had a few little bits printed at 3dhubs.com, which is really cheap compared to sites like shapeways and 3dhubs have given great service so far. 

I used similar for one off prints the postage normally more than the item.

12 minutes ago, heavyleftthumb said:

im still printing stuffs. it does seem everyone bought one and then couldnt get them to work as they wanted. so got stressed and sold on. defo the fad has passed. its SLA printing now.... no layer lines. so smooth

That's what put me off the £200 eBay specials - need a lot of time and tweaking to get working.

I friends got a makerbot mini and it was take out box and start printing but are not cheap. Ditto for the Dermel offerings.

think I just keep sending items off for printing.

My Dad has one my mate has about 4 or 5, they do take a bit of setting up but can make decent prints easily!

I am still toying with the idea, my old man packed his away but I usually get him to do the cad design and then my mate will print it for me, it would be easier if I printed it but just don't have the space too!

The maker units are great for prints as they are enclosed and seem to work better out of the box, but they aren't always perfect.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, rushboy2004 said:

I used similar for one off prints the postage normally more than the item.

That's what put me off the £200 eBay specials - need a lot of time and tweaking to get working.

I friends got a makerbot mini and it was take out box and start printing but are not cheap. Ditto for the Dermel offerings.

think I just keep sending items off for printing.

yeah defo i hear ya,  but when they are working they work great. i do like a tinker and it has has a fair few mods and tweeks but now prints lovely

Still playing about with the printers. I've recently bought an Ender 3, great little printer imo. The original acrylic framed i3 I had has been recycled into a much more Prusa style with MK2 parts on the whole. The ender 3 prints every bit as well with no tweaks, the original printer has been vastly modified. 

I make a lot of odds and ends as well as a few quad parts.

14 hours ago, banners said:

Still playing about with the printers. I've recently bought an Ender 3, great little printer imo. The original acrylic framed i3 I had has been recycled into a much more Prusa style with MK2 parts on the whole. The ender 3 prints every bit as well with no tweaks, the original printer has been vastly modified. 

I make a lot of odds and ends as well as a few quad parts.

Glad to see your still about mate :good:

still go out with the crawlers?

sorry chaps, back on topic.....