• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D printer build. weekly magazine.

NitricRC

Hi guys thought I would make a post and see if anyone else is doing this. Basically I am building a 3D printer which is a weekly magazine and each week you get a different part. The magazine is called

3D create and print. The printer is called the Vector 3 and prints PLA and ABS. Just thought I would give it ago and learn about the technology.

There is a lot to be said for building stuff yourself. Yes it takes longer and may cost more but you learn so much more than just starting off with something already assembled. 

3D printing is not straight forward and every material takes a different approach. I strongly suggest looking into the health effects of printing some materials. ABS is very nasty to print with and exceeding certain temps can realise toxic chemicals from others (like ninja flex).

If you haven't taken the plunge yet I'd suggest looking at a ultimaker origional+ (kit) that way you still get to build one :)

Not tired any of the composite materials yet as I don't have a purpose for them. I must admit I'm curious to try bronze or copper fill I just haven't gotten around to it yet lol

For me it is about learning as i have been interested in this technology for a while but i know nothing about it, also the cost may not be worth it and the build time maybe long but it's the knowledge i will gain as i go along. Price wise fits in with my life style as i have kids and there expensive so it suits me, yeah i may have an outdated machine and there maybe better but i will have a better understanding of how it all works as the say "knowledge is power".

For me it is about learning as i have been interested in this technology for a while but i know nothing about it, also the cost may not be worth it and the build time maybe long but it's the knowledge i will gain as i go along. Price wise fits in with my life style as i have kids and there expensive so it suits me, yeah i may have an outdated machine and there maybe better but i will have a better understanding of how it all works as the say "knowledge is power".

But what are you going to do if you get to 16 months into it and they don't produce the rest of the parts lol.

Granted, they SHOULD, but theirs no contract, so they don't actually have to guarantee they'll complete it.

If enough people don't go for it, they'll simply stop doing it as they aren't going to go to all the expense for a few people.

That was my main point, you may end up about

• 4 weeks later...

Ok just thought I would give an update. I have taken the gamble and gone through my local newsagents for the magazine and I will be collecting issue 6 next week, upto now I have resisted temptation to start building it as I want to collect enough parts to see progress and also so I don't have to take bits apart to fit new bits later on. The magazine itself is basic with info on the worlds 3D printing projects present and future and its advances and advantages also it has the step by step tutorials on constructing objects with the software and the build instructions for the printer. The parts seem to be of ok quality and hopefully by the end I will have a working outdated 3D printer. Only time will tell... If I get to complete it???... Fingers crossed. Only 85 issues to go..........................

Sometimes the magazines stop things mid way though so you might not get every part and be left with half a printer.

Fingers crossed that they don't. I have never done a magazine build series before so I hope it's a good first experience as it is something I have been interested in and it fits my lifestyle.

Not sure what most of this means but a quick look at the spec:

Single jet nozzle: 0.20mm

Prints: ABS, PLA

Layer thickness: 0.20mm

Prints objects up to: 140mm x 140mm x 135mm

Print speed: 10-100cm3/h

Heated print bed: Yes

Printer weight: 8kg

Printer size: 400mm x 295mm x 356mm

Power: 100-240VAC, 144W

Input format: STL

PC comparability: Win XP, Win 7, Mac OSX 10.7 and above

Printer interface software: Custom version of Repetier Host

I am actually picking up issue 7 next week, I have issues 6 already.

Edited by NitricRC

Hmmmm is that just a fixed layer thickness of 0.20 or the minimum? For fine prints 0.10 layer thickness is normal. The print area isn't exactly huge but should be big enough for most things.

Does it use 1.75mm filament?

John

Yeah it uses the 1.75 mm filament. Not sure on the layer thickness I presume it's fixed.

Have you seen these kits? Gives you a better idea of some of the kits available.

http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d100_3D_Printing.html

John

I will have a look thanks. Edited by NitricRC

Good it uses a standard filament which is no surprise though.

On my printer it's 0.10 layer for fine printing, 0.20 for standard and 0.30 for fast printing.

Always a good idea to know what your options are so you can make an informed decision. Do wish these magazine type builds would also be released as a complete set so you could get it all in one go instead of having to wait if you wanted to. Not likely to happen though I know.

John

Good it uses a standard filament which is no surprise though.

On my printer it's 0.10 layer for fine printing, 0.20 for standard and 0.30 for fast printing.

Always a good idea to know what your options are so you can make an informed decision. Do wish these magazine type builds would also be released as a complete set so you could get it all in one go instead of having to wait if you wanted to. Not likely to happen though I know.

John

It would be a good idea maybe with a code for just the online version of the magazine as an option but like you say not likely to happen.

Ok so I am saving the pennies for a 1/5 Scale baja and seeing as the Sidewinder is out of action thought I would post a few pics of my magazine build series... Still resisting the temptation to build it until I have enough to see progress. Issue 7 came with a small electronic board the motor tester board.

IMG_20150306_100920_zpsja3ny3w2.jpg

IMG_20150306_100931_zpsvswlz7pm.jpgIMG_20150306_100943_zpsexk6z22v.jpgIMG_20150306_100953_zpsawdawo5c.jpgIMG_20150306_100959_zpsf0ne9g2u.jpg

83 more issue's to go this is going to be a long series lol... :)

• 4 weeks later...

if the nozzle is 0.2mm then I would expect that the layer height is a maximum of 0.2mm rather than minimum or fixed. The layer thickness isnt determined by the printer hardware or firmware, you set that in your slicing software and the printer gets as close as possible to that depending on the steps/mm its hardware allows. and just a heads up a 0.2mm head is great for fine detail but the print times on that will be painfully slow due to it not being able to extrude much material at a time. also if the extruder doesnt have enough torque it may not be able to push the filament through at a very high speed which also means a slower print. 

Don't worry about that though if any part doesnt live up to expectations it doesnt take a lot to modify and replace them, that is the beauty of 3d printing anything you want to change or add is at your fingertips.

Personally i'm in the middle of designing my own printer to fit my personal wants and needs that i can print on the one at work.

TSkmqeY.jpg

iPHFCK0.jpg

rioyFvD.jpg

• 2 months later...

So guys and girls not been on for a while as I have started work in the evening and I am prepping the house for our new arrival, anyhow with both cars out of action and no funds at the mo to sort them, I thought I would start building the 3d printer magazine build here's a pic of my progress.

1434816727980_zpsgeuhnlii.jpg

Also those of you who have 3d printers and knowledge of using them if you wouldn't mind signing up to the forum and placing some info on there that would be great thanks here's the link, its new at the mo and I'm the only member so it's like a ghost town lol.

http://3dcreateandprint.prophpbb.com

Edited by NitricRC