• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New guy on here - revo back from the dead

robocog

Hi

Inadvertently just got back into RC trucks after a long break

Have a T-Maxx, old old school - but it got a 2.5r engine when the original died, but still on the short arms, its tumbletastic!

(Good job it has a full cage which bends back with the aid of a vice and mallet)

I was gong to sell it, so I got it out and had to make sure it worked and tuned it in, the inevitable happened - forgot how much fun it can bring...even in a wet car park, I started looking at upgrades to make it handle a bit better

Ended up getting a flysky 2.4 ghz for it (nice not having a mahoosive HF antenna tube to get crimpled and trashed when it rolls and I managed to save a little weight and clutter by ditching the failsafe) and a new hump back RX battery as mine had died in the years of not being used

Anyway I decided buying RPM stuff for the Maxx would be pretty expensive and daft when there seem to be 'better' machines out there for less

Managed to get a Revo 3.3 on eBay at what I consider to be bargaintastic

Edited by robocog

ooooh!

One of my questions was going to be about hexes and solid wheels, but I thought I'd wait as I didnt know for sure if the Revo I got would come with 14mm or 17mm hexes  - going to see if balooning is an issue first though

Maybe it won't with a 3.3 thats had as much trauma as mine has :D

I lived in Bristol a while back (well 12 years ago ish)

St Annes to be precise, I sometimes miss it - more the people we left behind , not the traffic!

:D

So far I am prefering working on the Revo, but then not had to do much yet

seems to be slightly more room/better layout for saussage fingers

I am liking that the tank and the electrics are only a split pin away rather than chasing screws all over /under the table

The easystart motor has got quite hot and has give off some puffs of smoke - so pullstart may be high priority

Wil strip it to bare chassis and get it all clean and make the things that should move freely move again :D

Regards

Rob

ooooh!

One of my questions was going to be about hexes and solid wheels, but I thought I'd wait as I didnt know for sure if the Revo I got would come with 14mm or 17mm hexes - going to see if balooning is an issue first though

Maybe it won't with a 3.3 thats had as much trauma as mine has :D

I lived in Bristol a while back (well 12 years ago ish)

St Annes to be precise, I sometimes miss it - more the people we left behind , not the traffic!

:D

So far I am prefering working on the Revo, but then not had to do much yet

seems to be slightly more room/better layout for saussage fingers

I am liking that the tank and the electrics are only a split pin away rather than chasing screws all over /under the table

The easystart motor has got quite hot and has give off some puffs of smoke - so pullstart may be high priority

Wil strip it to bare chassis and get it all clean and make the things that should move freely move again :D

Regards

Rob

I did away with the ezee start as it was another battery/s to carry/charge ect....I got 2x pull starts from the usa for 2quid more then I would of paid for 1 from the uk....get sum pics up of ur revo if u can.......lived here all me life...all 39 years of it....its better then it was in sum places....I ride motor bikes so traffic is irreverent to me....I just filter on or use the pavement. ...lol!!....I don't thk I ever had an issue with ballooning though...but these r 40 series tyres.....stock size is 17mm hexs... Edited by evssv

Ah a fellow biker :D

It's actually the sale of /one/ of my bikes that enabled me to play RC again :D

(DR250 enduro/supermoto)

Got another 1 1/4 bikes to sell so maybe a few upgrades will happen

I'm keeping 2 bikes as I still need to get to work and back - one for summer and one for winter , Gosport isn't as hectic as Bristol, but I still filter when needed :P

I have a pull start on the Maxx - and I do have a broken pullstart I would use- just waiting on some spools to come in

I may buy another complete one meanwhile as I think they said 4-6 weeks wait - but as they rebuild easy enough I bought a couple (think they work out at about

Edited by robocog

Ah a fellow biker :D

It's actually the sale of /one/ of my bikes that enabled me to play RC again :D

(DR250 enduro/supermoto)

Got another 1 1/4 bikes to sell so maybe a few upgrades will happen

I'm keeping 2 bikes as I still need to get to work and back - one for summer and one for winter , Gosport isn't as hectic as Bristol, but I still filter when needed :P

I have a pull start on the Maxx - and I do have a broken pullstart I would use- just waiting on some spools to come in

I may buy another complete one meanwhile as I think they said 4-6 weeks wait - but as they rebuild easy enough I bought a couple (think they work out at about

Edited by evssv

just so happens im about to list a few revo bits,, picco 26 max engine with jp3 side pipe proper filter and rotostart,, a load or stock revo spares,, servos,, muggy wheels like on the above revo keep a look out if your after owt mate

Already spent up...just ordered a trx high flow air filter, a new rx battery, pull starter, exhaust gasket (mine is missing)

Will get a new antenna tube, fuel and a new glow stick from the local place, should see me being able to bash them both till next payday :D

Will leave reverse and optidrive on there for a while...till it goes wrong

It seems to work reliably with my good 6v hump pack...the traxxas 6v flat pack the revo came with is really not well, only charges to 4 and a bit volts so I guess it's done for and won't recover, no wonder opti drive was refusing to let the throttle servo move!

I guess when it chews gears I'll do the forward only and smaller battery box and 2 channel 2.4 ghz thing

Maybe me n the lad can go bashing together :D

Regards

Rob

Nothing to loose I have opened up the 2 "duff" rx packs I have here

Went through the cells, only 1 from the hump pack was dead - rest were seemingly OK

went through the flat 5 cell pack, took out the one with most voltage

have soldered it up as a flat pack all wrapped up in reinfroced tape and its curently on the charger

Hoping it will give me a green light in the next few mins, not sure there will be enough light left to have a quick bash with it

Bodged - yep, but it will hopefully do till the new one arrives if I do get chance to play

Regards

Rob

Nothing to loose I have opened up the 2 "duff" rx packs I have here

Went through the cells, only 1 from the hump pack was dead - rest were seemingly OK

went through the flat 5 cell pack, took out the one with most voltage

have soldered it up as a flat pack all wrapped up in reinfroced tape and its curently on the charger

Hoping it will give me a green light in the next few mins, not sure there will be enough light left to have a quick bash with it

Bodged - yep, but it will hopefully do till the new one arrives if I do get chance to play

Regards

Rob

nice one...my soldering skills ain't up to this type of bodge er i mean fix..lol!!...should get u going. ..

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd pop back in on the thread

So I got the new bearings in the motor (went a lot easier than I had thought)

The powers of a freezer and an oven...

Replaced the carb for a new one, new battery in the EZ start, fresh fuel lines and fresh fuel and a new air filter

managed to fire it up a few times and run it round the back garden (its only a small one)

Not really had time to play with it beyond starting it up and doing a few laps of the garden before I was worried I'd upset the neighbors

Today I managed to run 3 tanks of fuel through it

Mostly on a massive flat freshly laid deserted car park on an industrial estate and got it dialed in a bit better

it now sets off like a scolded cat, changes gear at about the right sort of time for the smooth tarmac I was on

Nice trail of smoke and no more cutting or stumbling on WOT and starting up pretty easy

It sometimes seems reluctant to sit idling for any length of time when bringing it in before it cuts out..but I can live with it for now

I have to say ....wow

It handles a LOAD better than the T-Maxx (unsurprisingly)

MUCH more stable - only managed to flip it upside down a few times, which is novel

One wheel nut managed to slacken off (noticed a wheel wobble on that corner!), but thankfully it stayed on so I didn't loose it or the hex (good job I took the glow wrench with me!)

Took it to a part of the car park they haven't yet done anything with (so mud, rocks, tyre tracks , humps dips and  mounds) and took it for a play on there for the last tank full, got it well muddy, again really impressed with its handling in comparison to the maxx

Looking forward to some dryer weather /lighter evenings so I can go bashing with it on some bigger jumps

I also half fancy having an EZ start on the Maxx now :D

Pretty drama free, works and wasn't that much hassle to carry with me

(though it also meant carrying some needle nosed pliers as well - just in case I needed to get the plug out, that glow plug wire is a bit of a pain to get on and off with sausage fingers)

Glad I eventually got round to getting my hands on a Revo and trying the EZ start

Have put all batteries back on charge, will clean and oil the filter...but CBA to de-mud it

I think this is only the second time ever at taking one the trucks out and not requiring to order parts when I get back

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

The revo is a great truck. I tried to sell mine the other week but it wasn't happening so it's being rebuilt with an lrp32 well see if it can handle it lol. Back to standard drive shafts. The diffs will be the first to go I think.

Edited by RCbutcher

LOL, they are good fun for sure, managed to put a couple of tanks through it today

Had a good thrash on a car park that's walking distance away...was quite nice sun was out and a couple of other lads were there with electric trucks / cars and one of these drone thingys (think he did some filming with it)..wasnt a quad as it only had 3 arms with props on it (a trike?)

turns out they run an RC shop in my little town (and online) selling stuff and gave me a card

Came back early as the EZ start motor refused to do anything, even when I span the flywheel a bit and I didn't take tools or the pull start with me

I did manage to flip it a couple of times and had a mad couple of mins on the section they hadnt tarmaced yet so lots of whoops mini jumps and muddy puddles

Still needs tuning a bit better, I have smoke trails , and good power and a good launch (as far as I can tell)

It wont however idle for very long after a WOT pass

it comes in idling high, then it either cuts out immediately (too lean?) or fluctuates a bit drops right down to a burble then cuts out (too rich?)

Still cant work out if its too lean or too rich on the LSN - it seems to exhibit symptoms of both, and without touching anything!

It's seemingly random

I did try richening (lefty loosen) the LSN a couple of times (only adjusted a VERY VERY small amount with a wot pass between) but it didn't seem any better or worse...maybe I went the wrong way? or not enough yet?

Pinch test is possibly as much as 4 seconds before the rpm rises and it cuts out

I may try and video it

I did wonder if it was some mud/debris in the starter that made it refuse to spin over, as a multimeter on the wires to the motor showed voltage, but putting the wires back on the motor did nothing (not flooded and spinning the flywheel manually made no difference)

Decided the motor was truly broken at this point

I stripped the engine and starter off, gave the truck a bit of a washdown, washed dried and oiled the air filter, put the pull start on the engine, bolted it all back up and ran the last of the fuel from the engine and lines and popped some after run oil in as I don't know how long till the next play

I then decided I would have a look at the ez start, and blow me - it worked on the bench as if nothing was wrong...sigh

I did wiggle all wires and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so stripped the engine back off and re fitted it all again

Its all working fine now...complete mystery

Also noticed one of the rear tyres had come free from its inner bead so I superglued that back in after getting it as dry as I could (foam was ringing wet)

I have only just bought the new battery for the Ez start - and have grown to love the convenience/laziness of it so I may as well carry on using it

(I know pull start would have let me carry on having fun till I ran out of fuel or broke something today....the Maxx is a pull start so I already know....)

I will be carrying the pull start and allen keys next time...lesson learned

Talking of adding weight....I have just ordered a set of sway bars, and a rear wing mount and wing :D

Hoping it will assist my poor cornering technique on high traction surfaces...I am fail at keeping the weight and budget down...and seemingly all 4 tyres

Regards

Rob

Edited by robocog
  • Like 1

Well, yesterday was a day off, so I got all my chores done and fitted the sway bars and rear wing

Dug out an old Veho Muvi cam and popped it on charge

managed to get through another couple of tanks of fuel

Did a little more tweaking on the carb

Managed to get it to do wheelies (added weight and drag from the wing and camera I suspect)

Sway bar....oooh errr

I /thought/ it was stable before...now its rock solid

A very worthwhile mod...certainly for boring flat car parks, a massive difference in grip and handling

Will venture to some more bumpy surfaces and have a play

Its still cutting out sometimes after a WOT run (when throttle goes back to idle)

Other times it will stay idling fine, don't get a grasp of what it needs ...yet

Pinch test takes about 5-6 seconds and the revs do climb a bit before it stops

Plenty of smoke during WOT

Have got some video of it, will cut the length down to make it less boring and put a link when I have managed it :D

of course with the camera strapped on I managed to land tyres up a couple of times when I tried jumping a very narrow steep ramp / lip, camera survived both times luckily - managed to snap the antenna tube in the middle though :D

Bought a couple of new aerial tubes and a litre of Model Technics 20% big bang (I have been running on 16%) curious to see if there's a noticeable difference

Pic of the current setup with wing sway bars and the camera...

IMAG1227%20(Small).jpg

IMAG1228%20(Small).jpg

IMAG1225%20(Small).jpg

IMAG1226%20(Small).jpg

Regards

Rob

Edited by robocog

First vid showing it changes gear, can wheelie and a 50/50 chance it will idle after a WOT run

Just finding the pinch test and some footage of after WOT throttle release (maybe the noises will give the issue of not always idling away?)

Regards

Rob