• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo charging outside Ideas?

Saabmania2

Now I've been thinking, and with getting more and more Lipo's I don't want to change them indoors for obvious safety reasons now without a garage or big enough shed things are a little more complicated so I've been thinking of ideas (dangerous thing for me!!)

Is there any reason why I couldn't get a waterproof electrical enclosure like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251699522138?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D251699522138%26_rdc%3D1

and putting the charger and 1 or 2 batteries on charge inside this way they could be done in all weathers and can be seen through the door for any problems, It wouldn't have to be a permanent fixture outside maybe just take it out with ip65 cable plugged into a socket inside the house

Any problems anyone can see arising? or even better ideas :thumbsup:

yes one big issue  the temperature change.  if you charge a lipo in a colder temp then move it into a warmer area the voltage goes up.  you can test it yourself by checking a lipo right now  just look at the voltage while it is indoors  then move it into a colder area for a little while then check the voltage again.  you should see that the V has dropped.

Edited by turok007

Do you know something, in the 6 years I've used lipo's, never used a charge bag and never charged outside. They get chucked on the side, on the sofa........never had one go up on me. We don't treat our mobile phones, tablets, Ecigs etc like the plague as people do with lipo's, most of these items use lipo's too so I don't see why an RC lipo has to be any different. I'll get blasted for my comment so I'm expecting the wrath.

yes one big issue  the temperature change.  if you charge a lipo in a colder temp then move it into a warmer area the voltage goes up.  you can test it yourself by checking a lipo right now  just look at the voltage while it is indoors  then move it into a colder area for a little while then check the voltage again.  you should see that the V has dropped.

So are you saying if you charge it up in a cold area then once fully charged take it to somewhere warm it will explode on you?

Do you know something, in the 6 years I've used lipo's, never used a charge bag and never charged outside. They get chucked on the side, on the sofa........never had one go up on me. We don't treat our mobile phones, tablets, Ecigs etc like the plague as people do with lipo's, most of these items use lipo's too so I don't see why an RC lipo has to be any different. I'll get blasted for my comment so I'm expecting the wrath.

I've always thought the same but then not knowing much about the chemistry of them just listened to stories on here or across the net but general thinking would be as RC Lipo's are higher powered than say a mobile it would cause that much more damage

Got to admit. I am the same, I take care of the lipos in the sense that they are always storage charged and never abused in that way, but I got to admit, there are currently 2 x 8000mah 4 cell, 2 x 4000mah 2 cell and 4 x 2200mah 2 cell all residing on my kitchen worktop. My phone is on the sofa, the wifes phone is on the other sofa, the laptop is on the sofa and the tablet is on charge on the dining table. Lipos are lipos, whatever they are in I suppose.

This is going to get a very heated debate. I have heard about laptops burning down houses, Iphones setting fire to peoples faces....but RC lipos seem to be the most scared of. Dunno. ,

rc lipos have to be treated better than one on a laptop or phone because we force it to decharge quick.  as for your no issues over 6 years  i had close to 100 lipos for my planes and the only issue i ever had was 1 lipo that ended up looking like a football.  i used it like i always did   i checked the V after the flight then again a few hours later as i always did.  then tested it the next day before putting it into a storage tin.  well about 3 days later i went to get another lipo out and found this football looking thing.  lol  

So are you saying if you charge it up in a cold area then once fully charged take it to somewhere warm it will explode on you?

what im saying is the V will go up.  so it is a risk  but i cannot tell you how much of one.

alot of people did have lipos go bang because they were fully charging lipos then putting them in the sun while setting up.  as they always did it with nimh..  also in the winter a lipo will not last as long if it is cold.  you notice it on RC planes more as the C rating is not being pushed so much as a RC car.

what im saying is the V will go up.  so it is a risk  but i cannot tell you how much of one.

Ok well that doesn't sound to bad, as I wouldn't put it out there in the snow but it was more as a weather protection for the plug changer and Lipo 

Ok well that doesn't sound to bad, as I wouldn't put it out there in the snow but it was more as a weather protection for the plug changer and Lipo 

the main cause of a lipo fire is charging it wrong as in wrong cell count or wrong setting in some way  also pushing the C limit while running it.

This is going to get a very heated debate. I have heard about laptops burning down houses, Iphones setting fire to peoples faces....but RC lipos seem to be the most scared of. Dunno. ,

because of there sheer size and fire power if it goes tits up....yes a thimble full of petrol will burn u bad...a gallon...well....need I say more...

i remember seeing pictures of a RC pilot who had been in the hobby since the year dot.  and he always charged lipos in the planes and helicopters.  well one day the lipo didn't play ball.  the after fire pictures were not nice.  and before anyone says im being overcareful   i used TP lipos for years before packs had balance leads.  lol

Edited by turok007

Ok well maybe I'm being over careful with them Esp seeing Vr5fx setup :yes:

nothing wrong with that setup.  mine is like that but anything that is not being charged are in lipo bags.

i just want to limit the chances of something serious happening if a lipo goes bad.

Edited by turok007

nothing wrong with that setup.  mine is like that but anything that is not being charged are in lipo bags

Ok well maybe I'm being over careful with them Esp seeing Vr5fx setup :yes:

I'm still cautious, I'll always keep an eye on the packs while charging. I don't use charge bags because I want to see if something happens while charging, if a pack swells I will notice, while if it was in a bag, you wouldn't see before it is too late. 

They are stored in ammo tins when not used and transported in lunch boxes

I've charged those packs up today, and will get them back away later as I have another charger sat on the ammo tin.  :whistling: 

I should buy some LiPo bags for storage though, split them into groups and store, rather than have them all cuddled in the box.

having them in bags in ammo tins is better as if one fails you don't want it destroying others.    and i can vouch for lipos being safe 99% of the time  as i once plugged one straight into a 12V power pack for about 10 minutes. lol (by mistake)  and i have had lipos fly out of RC cars without any bad things going on.

a few years ago i was into RC planes boats helicopters and cars a lot more.  so i was on more forums  and i was seeing a few lipos fires but not many over a few years.  well i just typed rc lipo fire into google    things have got alot worse.

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

having them in bags in ammo tins is better as if one fails you don't want it destroying others.    and i can vouch for lipos being safe 99% of the time  as i once plugged one straight into a 12V power pack for about 10 minutes. lol (by mistake)  and i have had lipos fly out of RC cars without any bad things going on.

a few years ago i was into RC planes boats helicopters and cars a lot more.  so i was on more forums  and i was seeing a few lipos fires but not many over a few years.  well i just typed rc lipo fire into google    things have got alot worse.

That's what got me more cautious over them too many videos

last year a plane (1:1) completely burnt out.

Cause: 1 hobby lipo.  fortunately plane was grounded at the time.  This is/was the number 1 reason for law changes with lipo shipments fyi.

fact:  the worst can and does happen.  (albeit not frequently)

What u do safety wise is your decision, but please think of how other people may be effected by how u care for your lipo's.

thanks.

Edited by Deafty

Just FYI the batterys in electronic gadets almost always have some kind of protection built in, secondly they are not being Charged at 1C+ and discharged at insane rates and thirdly...there NOT lipos, there lions (Lipo is a from of Lion though just as Life, Limn are and others.

Lipo chemistry is slightly less stable and less power dense but far better proformance.

A 4S 3600mah lion pack made from 18650 size cells would be about half the size of a lipo one...

No need to treat yhem like a bomb but you cant treat them the same as a lion as while simular they are not the same.

Dont qoute me though i may be wrong and aint no expert...but thats how i understand it...?!

Anyway chargeing out side at the field is fine but use them or lower the voltage before bringing inside as V will go up as said

The helicopter guys often charge only at the field useing very powerfull charges and deep cycle batterys. 6-12s (or more) 5000-10000+mah...