• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this noise normal?

Oh How Original

I know I sometimes do post up some very obvious/stupid threads about stuff I've simply not thought through, but I've just never ever heard this particular noise before.

Just bound up and calibrated my Flysky GT3B (brand new receiver) to my AE SC10, and when you press the throttle then let it off (happens with reverse too) it's making a weird noise, like a machine beeping.

Made a little video to demonstrate the noise, and just wondered if this is normal? I've never run these particular electrics before, so I'm a bit unsure.

I can't see any sparks from anywere, the motor turns smoothly by hand, the magnets seem fine, the ESC hasn't smoked, I bound and calibrated it all correctly.

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w624/PencilLinezDesigns/20150129_150119_zpsau5fmmin.mp4

That's a new one on me, but it sounds like the ESC is agitating the rotor. The same way the ESC uses the rotor to make the switch on beeps, but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Where's Suicideneil when you need him?

It's not something I've ever heard before... It's slightly different to the switch on beeps though, they are more of a beep beep, were as this is a bit duller and more drawn out.

Thing is, I've looked for lights on the ESC and nothings happening any different to normal.

I'm mainly concerned with if it's safe to run.

Most bizarre indeed.

Which combo is fitted?

ESC is the SC700-BL, the motor I'm not 100% sure of, the seller couldn't remember the brand.

I'm not overly fussed as a replacement motor isn't too much money, I just don't want to make the trip up to my mates field only for the motor or ESC to blow after a few minutes lol.

can you do it any slower  as it sounds like the ESC getting the motor to start.

Any slower how?

If I keep the power on slowly, it doesn't do it, it's only when the power goes on then off.

Does it only do it with the pinion removed? If yes, could be the ESC applying drag brakes? (If your drag brakes are on?)

I've not tried it with pinion yet, I'll do that now, sorry, nipped to Tesco :lol:

can the punch be turned right down.  or can you make the noise without the motor turning.  try a very fast throttle movement. 

I don't have a program card for the ESC so can't program it, well you can but I don't understand how on the PDF via the tx.

Brushed esc's make a noise, my Fusion esc used to make like a supercharger whine as you accelerated but came from the esc. That sounds like resonance,is the motor tightened right up to the mount? Is the end bell/front cap of the motor loose? Is there any metal loose on the chassis?

Edited by NuttyProfessor

It's a brushless ESC so that doesn't explain it.

Motor is tight, all the components are tight, that was the first thing I checked (after simply looking for sparking) the weird thing is it sounds fairly normal with pinion on blasting up and down the street, it's certainly no slouch, so I don't think it's anything bothering the performance :/ just hope it doesn't blow the electrics prematurely.

Well the pinion is balancing the rotor as it spins, check for a dodgy bearing.

If it's a bearing I'll leave it until it goes all together lol.

I was always led to believe you shouldn't run a brushless motor without load?

Could this be the cause of the noise as the motor had no load on it?

Never been told not to, I was basically just checking everything was going in the right direction before putting the pinion back on.

Doesn't sound like any bearing I've ever heard going but you never know, I have heard that sort of noise when you get hold of a motor shaft and spin it quickly with your fingers although that was on smaller motors and normal but the same could be the case here .