• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Calling colour match experts?

StuL

Hi all, im new to the site, and have joined to ask a couple of painting questions...

A chance find on ebay, saw me ordering a new shell for my old TL01 chassis.

Its an old style supra, bought because i own the full size thing too!

So i'm wanting to paint my Lexan shell to match the real thing in the garage, as closely as possible.

this is the colour i'm after.....(not my actual car) merlyn-osr.JPG

Duratrax's metallic red, and

Pactra's metallic red or cherry red look close, but they all look a bit too light,

so any suggestions on how to darken these colours a little bit would be greatly appreciated.

As an example, I saw another thread on here, showing how orange, backed with silver can turn the paint very dark brown, so now im worried i'd darken it too much. Would more coats of the red colour, make a difference to how much the backing colour darkens it? (if that makes sense

Im happy to try out different paints, but didn't want to spend a small fortune on rattle cans i'd never use, so im just after a starting point really.

Thanks again for any help,

Stu

More coats should darken the colour, as would backing it with say black.  The more paint on the first coat will affect how the backing colour affects it too.

Caveat - I'm no expert and haven't actually painted a shell myself for years n years.

Welcome to the forum mate :)

Quick search of google found this page: clicky

Looking up the paint codes it appears to be closer to a 3H2 maroon - this being the code for the real version. It might also be worth looking under this colour too.

If you really want it 100% perfect first time round and save yourself the headache of finding the correct shade, you could get it sprayed from an RC spraying company such as Outlaw Graphics or RC Graphic worx, who can custom spray the shell to whatever colour/tone you show them..  :good:

yup a deep to mid maroon color is that. 

reds are a A pain to mix up. 

now if your wanting a very little change in color, you would mix up a primer thats tinted with maroon to. 

when the tinted primer is laid down and then covered with the main color it keeps that luster near on the same.

yes there can and maybe a slight shift semi tone wise.

What does paint do ? what i mean is what are your eyes looking at. most will say paint right, but your a little way off,

paint is a colored medium, it holds little tinys reflective mirrors or particulates, light comes in and some is absorbed

by the surface, and some reflected back, a red pigment will block all the other colors and just let red shine and reflect back.

gray is used as a primer because it is somewhat neutral , BUT that depends on the color that is placed ontop.

lets take Drab , a light brownish dirt color mostly used in warfare, its what we call an earth color, it has a mixture

so to say it has parts, some light brown pigments , and some green pigments .

to make it a shade lighter you will add a light green. 

to make it a shade darker you would use a little more brown and maybe a darker green. 

so your base coat or primer acts like a shader, a dark basecoat like black and a lovely bright blood red.

the color we will gain is a dirty red, looks kinda blackish red.

lets pop some gray down and see what happens, because gray is a more neutral color it reflects but not as much.

we will get a dulled red, its not that dirty black but its more a deeper blood red.

if we use white we will get that bright blood red, if we use white but add a tiny piece of red. our final color will pop

to become that lovely blood ferrari red. 

the point is you must understand how paint works and the primers fuction. tinted with a main color it helps seat the color deep.

a dark base gives that defined look , and a light base is more neutral. 

over time you will start to see how base coats/primers affect the main color.

ALSO remember LUSTER comes from both paint and the clear finish , on RC cars our clear finish is a glossy clear plastic.

its not a clearcoat that can be buffed to a high shine sheen. 

overtime plastics degrade, they dull and become affected by the suns IR and UV rays. without the clearcoat protection 

paints get damaged and lighten up, they get like bleached by the suns intense action.

for an exact color it would be nice to know what the basecoat/primer coat tint/color was.

i would have said a gray on maroon.

You CAN use some automotive sprays on your RC shells, so if you can get the supra color guides

you could buy a rattle can of that same color shade. then its just a test on black-gray-white to see what gives the best

match possible ;)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Thanks for the info guys,

I' know my car's colour, it's the Red Mica from your link 53HRA,

The maroon code is a non-metallic shade they sold on the UK cars, but mine's an import.

I was more worrying about translating that across to the Polycarbonate specific paints from various manufacturers.

Having it professionally done might be an option, i'd just assumed it would be mega-expensive!

I'm based near Manchester/Bolton, so i'll see if there's any Pro painters in my area to at least try and save on the postage.

Any recommendations?

I normally like to do stuff like this myself, but i don't want to "write off" a 30quid shell!